The course is given in the first year of the master program in Sustainable Structural Engineering. Calculations on trusses and framework, built up by bar and beam elements, are carried out during the course using hand calculations as well as computers and software aiming at thorough understanding of modern methods for analysis of structures. Instability phenomenon and material non-linearity are included. In addition, the course covers flow problems such as heat conduction. The similarities of handling such problems compared to problems of structural analysis are remarkable.
The course comprises the following elements:
• Revision of matrix algebra
• Derivations of differential equations for bar and beam deformation as well as one-dimensional heat conduction
• Analyses of systems of resilient supports, trusses and framework by the matrix displacement method
• Analyses of problems of heat conduction, pipe circulation, diffusion and electric circuits by the matrix displacement method
• Analyses of constructions with regard to instability phenomena
• Analyses of non-linear behaviour in constructions due to non-linear material connections
• Analyses of beams on resilient supports
• Analyses of structures where symmetries, constraints and static condensation are utilized in the solution
• Training in using computers and advanced calculation programs to perform the above analyses.
Växjö – the student city with a living campus
Just south of Växjö’s city centre you will find Linnaeus University’s campus. In Växjö, many students choose to live on campus.
Here you will have five minutes’ walking distance to friends, restaurants, lecture rooms, gym, grocery store, the University Library, nature trails, and student pubs. If you live in another part of Växjö, you can quickly get to the university by bus or bicycle.
With its 90 000 inhabitants, Växjö is one of the fastest growing cities in Sweden. Here you will find the famous Småland entrepreneurship spirit and a lot of companies, for instance within the IT industry – perfect for when you are looking for an internship position or a job. Växjö is also one of Europe’s greenest cities where you have easy access to nature, forest and lakes.
Build your own degree
Did you know that you can combine single-subject courses to build your own degree? In this way, you can design your own degree based on your interests and the career you are aiming for. Learn more about how you can build your own degree and become unique on the labour market.