The course is given within the master programs in Strucural Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Calculations on trusses and framework, built up by bar and beam elements, are carried out during the course using hand calculations as well as computers and software aiming at thorough understanding of modern methods for analysis of structures. Instability phenomenon and material non-linearity are included. In addition, the course covers flow problems such as heat conduction. The similarities of handling such problems compared to problems of structural analysis are remarkable.
The course comprises the following elements:
• Revision of matrix algebra
• Derivations of differential equations for bar and beam deformation as well as one-dimensional heat conduction
• Analyses of systems of resilient supports, trusses and framework by the matrix displacement method
• Analyses of problems of heat conduction, pipe circulation, diffusion and electric circuits by the matrix displacement method
• Analyses of constructions with regard to instability phenomena
• Analyses of non-linear behaviour in constructions due to non-linear material connections
• Analyses of beams on resilient supports
• Analyses of structures where symmetries, constraints and static condensation are utilized in the solution
• Training in using computers and advanced calculation programs to perform the above analyses.
Roughly 15 minutes with a bike from the city centre, you will find Linnaeus University’s campus. It is like a small society with the university, student accommodation, and student life. Here you become part of a creative knowledge environment.
What will you come across on an excursion in Växjö – the city of contrasts? You will find good restaurants, a celebrated hockey team, and cozy cafés where you can enjoy a latte with lingonberry flavour. In Växjö, beautiful nature is always just around the corner; the city is surrounded by lakes and forests. Students like the combination of the city centre and the active student life on campus. Your dream of the future starts here!