The course will give an understanding of the nature, origins and manifestations of terrorism in modern times. Different strategies for handling terrorism will be compared and evaluated on the basis of historical evidence and their probable consequences based on theoretical predictions made from different disciplines. The following topics will be discussed:
• Definition of Terrorism: The international law perspective
• The roots of Terrorism: The historical and the psychological perspectives
• The roots of Terrorism: The international economic and legal perspectives, Reactions and consequences: The international crisis management perspective
• Reactions and consequences: The psychological and the sociological perspectives
• Reactions and consequences: The media and communication perspective - Conclusions. Security: What has changed? Power: Its basis and the change of balance of power. Concluding panel discussion, group work and general discussion.
Växjö is a modern city with more than 80,000 inhabitants. The city has been declared "the Greenest City in Europe" because of its focus on environmentally sound solutions and the environmental programs implemented.
Being a student in Växjö you have easy access to everything – the city centre, the woods and the lakes. The pedestrian path from campus around Lake Växjösjön reaches almost all the way to the city centre and is perfect for jogging or taking long walks.
Campus Växjö is modeled along the lines of an American campus university and is the natural meeting place for students in Växjö. Campus is always bustling with life, and students move between lecture rooms, the University Library and the restaurants, pubs and outdoor recreational areas.