Preparing for your stay

Preparing for your stay

Moving to another country, even for a short period of time, requires a great deal of preparation and planning ahead. Administrative processes usually take some time, which means that you will have to start early. On these pages we have gathered information that will help while preparing for your stay in Sweden at Linnaeus University.

Once you have successfully submitted your application and been admitted to Linnaeus University there are many things to prepare before departure.

We would also advice you to read through our Guide for international students for additional information about the Swedish education system, your studies, the facilities and student services around campus etc.

Residence permit

For non-EU/EEA citizens

Non-EU/EEA citizens must have been granted a student residence permit ('uppehållstillstånd för studier') before entering Sweden. In order to qualify for a residence permit, you must have been granted admission to full-time studies (at least 30 credits per semester). You should apply for your permit on the Migration Agency's website or at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate 2-3 months before departure. Don't leave for Sweden without your student residence permit! A tourist visa is not sufficient as it is only valid for three months.

You need the following documents when applying for your student residence permit:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Letter of acceptance from Linnaeus University, the Notification of Selection Results
  • Certificate showing comprehensive medical insurance cover valid in Sweden. Fee-paying students are covered by the FAS insurance (the condition is that you have paid your tuition fee for the first semester). This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet. You can find the information regarding the FAS insurance on the Notification of Selection Results, that is what you upload when the Migration Agency ask you for proof of insurance.
  • A bank statement showing sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies (e.g. a bank guarantee), approximately SEK 8010 per month OR a document proving you have been awarded a scholarship or are in receipt of a study grant/student loan/salary or equivalent, detailing the amount and period during which you will be receiving the funds.

For further information on residence permits, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency. A list of Swedish embassies can be found at

For EU/EEA citizens

Students from an EU/EEA country may study in Sweden without a residence permit. As of 1 May 2014, EU/EEA citizens are not required to apply for right of residence in Sweden.

The closest Migration Board office is located in Växjö.
Visiting address: Norrgatan 23
Postal address: Migrationsverket, Tillståndsenheten,
Box 1228, 351 12 Växjö


Fee-paying students

Fee-paying students are covered by the FAS insurance (the condition is they have paid their tuition fee for the semester). This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet and it is backed by the full faith and credit of the Swedish government. Terms and conditions can be found at Kammarkollegiet's website.
The FAS insurance is valid two weeks before the start of the semester and two weeks after the end of the semester.

Exchange students

Exchange students are covered by the Student IN insurance. This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet and it is backed by the full faith and credit of the Swedish government. Terms and conditions can be found at Kammarkollegiet's website.

The Student IN insurance is valid two weeks before the start of the semester and two weeks after the end of the semester.

EU/EEA students

Citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives the student right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes.

Household insurance

If you are also interested in having a home insurance, make sure to purchase one in your home country before you leave.



Accommodation for all students

Finding suitable accommodation can often be a worry when you are to begin your studies at Linnaeus University.

All tuition fee-paying students at Linnaeus University who have gotten admission in the international selection rounds are prioritized for accommodation as long as they follow our instructions. The prioritized accomodation will only last for a maximum of two semesters. Information about what needs to be done to get help with accommodation will be sent out to all tuition fee-paying students after the second selection results.

Non-fee-paying students

Non-fee-paying students, e.g. students who are not guaranteed accommodation, are advised to start looking for somewhere to live as early as possible to maximize the chances of finding accommodation.

Exchange students

Linnaeus University arranges accommodation for all incoming exchange students from outside of Europe, provided that they submit their online application within the stated deadline. All incoming Erasmus students and students from the Nordic countries must look for housing on their own. Information on how to apply for housing and contact details to the housing companies can be found at Linnéstudenternas housing section. More information on how to apply for housing will be sent to the students after they have been formally nominated by their home university. Please read more about student accommodation for exchange students here.

For students in Växjö we recommend you to visit the site Boplats.

For students in Kalmar we recommend you to visit Kalmarhem which is the largest accommodation company in Kalmar.

The Student Union can assist international students in their search for a place to stay, but please note that it is the student's own responsibility to find accommodation. Have a look at the student unions housing page "Linnéstudenternas bostadsförmedling" (for a guide on how to use it click here), and contact the Student Union by sending an e-mail to


The majority of students in Kalmar live near or within cycling distance to the city centre. There are both student dorms / halls of residence, student apartments and private lodgings.


There are approximately 3,000 student apartments on campus in Växjö. This accommodation is in close proximity to student activities, the university itself, friends, pubs and meeting places are all within walking distance.

Accommodation formats

Various accommodation formats available

Good accommodation is important. As a student at Linnaeus University there are a number of alternative accommodation formats open to you, both centrally and also on campus.

Halls of residence

A hall of residence is a good choice for finding new friends as quickly as possible. Here you can share kitchen facilities and a living room with other students and there is always someone around. Many get friends for life in a hall of residence.

Your own apartment

Many students live in apartments which are not solely intended for student use.

Accommodation in combination with other students

One way to reduce accommodation costs as far as possible while at the same time enjoying the benefits of social living is to live with other students in a three-, four- or five-room apartment.

Courtyard outhouse or room / lodgings within a residential house

Many private individuals rent out smaller houses or rooms both in and outside the centre of town. This can be a good alternative if you sometimes want to get away from student life or live closer to the countryside.

Cost of living

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. To give you an idea the following example of a budget might be of help.


1 month

1 semester/5 months







Course literature






Local travel



Medical and personal care



Clothes, hobbies, leisure etc.



Total SEK*




Banking information

Due to strict regulations and security aspects it takes an effort to open a bank account in Sweden, as in most foreign countries. Banks are required to carry out a stringent check of customer identity and they charge a fee for their services. Also, services and offers from the different banks are depending on how long you’re staying and whether you have a Swedish personal identity number or not.

General information - cash, checks and credit cards

All major credit cards are accepted in Sweden, both for direct payment and for withdrawing money from an ATM. Visa and Master cards are accepted nearly everywhere, while e.g. American Express may be accepted less frequently.

Don’t bring personal cheques, as they can’t be cashed at Swedish banks. Do not rely on one single means of payment. Make sure you have several different means of accessing your money. When arriving in Sweden, make sure to have some cash to cover daily expenses. During the first few days you will need some money to pay your Student Union fee and student association membership fees.

The best way to send money to Sweden is via online money transfer from the bank in your home country to your bank account in Sweden. Discuss this with your current bank before you come to Sweden.

Paying Bills

The cheapest and most convenient way to pay your bills is by transfer through your Swedish or home country’s online banking payment service. If online payment is not available to you via your bank’s services bills can be, paid at a lower cost per bill than most banks at convenience stores.

Banking options

Having access to a Swedish bank account during your stay in Sweden can be convenient for paying bills and receiving incomes, etc. However, depending on the agreement with your national bank, the fees of money exchange in Sweden might in total be less than the costs of a bank account, bank cards and payment fees. Please note that the offers from banks vary depending on how long you’re staying and if you have a Swedish personal identity number or not.

Short term students

If you are studying 1 or 2 semesters (less than 12 months) in Sweden you cannot get a Swedish personal identity number. You will get limited services at Swedish banks (e.g. no internet banking). Consider using your national bank account and bank card for money transactions and withdraw cash in ATM’s if necessary, even if this means that your transactions will result in currency exchanges.

Long term students

If you will be studying for more than 2 semesters (longer than 12 months) in Sweden you are entitled to apply for a Swedish personal identity number, which greatly facilitates your possibilities to open a bank account at a Swedish bank of your choice. Receiving your Swedish personal identity number may take a few weeks and should be done before applying for a bank account. Once you have a personal identity number you can also apply for a Swedish ID card which will simplify identification at the bank.

What do I need to open a bank account?

Read the checklist below to see what documents you need for opening an account. Also bear in in mind that Swedish banks are generally open only between 10.00 and 15.00, but they normally have one evening a week with extended opening hours.

  • Valid passport (Your passport must have a valid international standard for Swedish banks to accept it as an ID)
  • Your residence permit (if applicable)
  • Proof of admission showing the duration of studies and a certificate or registration
  • Details of address in Sweden
  • A birth certificate issued by the Swedish Tax Authority (if you have a Swedish personal identity number)

As a bank customer always remember to:

  • Inform the bank about changes in your contact information such as; your address, e-mail or telephone number
  • Close your Swedish bank account before you leave Sweden! This should be done at the branch office where you opened your bank account. (Note: Plan ahead-the amount of cash you can withdraw from your account in a single withdrawal is limited)

Pick-up service and orientation days

Pick-up service during the official arrival days

During the official arrival days, the International Office provides pick-up service upon your arrival in Kalmar or Växjö. A student will meet you at the airport or the train station in Växjö or Kalmar, provided that you have informed the International Office of your time of arrival by the date listed in your acceptance pack. You will be asked to fill in an arrival form (see information below). When you arrive at the university you will also be handed an information pack. Please note that it is mandatory to check in with the university when you have arrived. Please sign up for the pick-up service on the link below before January 10th.

Should you arrive after the official arrival days, you have to contact us. When you arrive you need to find your own way to the university to retrieve your information pack. More information will be sent out at a later stage.


To help you settle in at Linnaeus University, a mandatory orientation weekend will be held at the beginning of the semester. During the orientation you will receive both practical and academic information.


You will find a lot of important information in our checklist for new students.