The industry in Sweden and all over the world strives towards a continuous improvement of competitiveness and profitability. At the terotechnology research subject at Linnaeus University we aim intensively, through our research and our third-cycle programme, to develop new tools, methods, strategies, policies and theories in this field. The aim is to decrease downtimes at manufacturing companies, thus extending uptimes to secure production continuity at high productivity, high quality and lower costs. Our efforts result in reduced manufacturing and lifetime costs, increased profitability for plants/equipment as well as increased competitiveness for companies.
Terotechnology is based on mapping, analysis, development and supervision/control of the technical and economic efficiency of a manufacturing process. As a research student (doctoral student), you will take part in company related case studies and meet a research and research training environment that help you to successfully produce own results.
A broad programme
The third-cycle programme is broad and covers major parts of the internal (separate or combined) activities of a company, e.g.:
- Quality maintenance
- Condition-based maintenance and condition monitoring technology
- The effect of maintenance on the production, quality, lifetime costs, life cycle, work and global environment
- Intelligent maintenance and information systems
- Integration of maintenance and plant working areas, such as production, quality, LCC (life cycle costs), production logistics and competence
- Maintenance for asset management
What prerequisites are required?
In order to become a research student you must have at least a Degree of Master, i.e. four years of study (240 higher education credits) with at least one year (60 credits) at second-cycle.
The specific entry requirements for the third-cycle programme in terotechnology are a minimum of 90 credits in the subject terotechnology or in subjects related to the doctoral level studies (see relevant fields below), or equivalent knowledge acquired in some other mammer either in Sweden or abroad, and a good command of Swedish and/or English. Relevant fields are, for example; maintenance, production, construction and mathematics-statistics.
There is also an opportunity to become a so-called industrial doctoral student. An industrial doctoral student is normally employed by a company that has decided to have a strong link to research and thus invests in educating an employee at the third-cycle level. The most common form of agreement for an industrial doctoral student implies that the student dedicates him- or herself to 80 % own research studies, usually at the university, while spending the remaining 20 % working at the company with some type of project.
How do I become become a research student in terotechnology?
When the Department of Mechanical Engineering has the possibility to admit a research student, the post is announced at e.g. the web page for jobs and vacancies at Lnu.se. Normally there is a specific project that the prospective doctoral student will work with, as well as appointed supervisors. To apply for admission with other funding, contact one of the contact persons on this page.
- Read more about the entry requirements and the content and objectives of the programme in the curriculum below
- Read more about our research in terotechnology at the Centre for Cost-effective Industrial Asset Management research group's web page
- Jobs and vacancies at Linnaeus University
- General information about third-cycle programmes at Linnaeus University