Tuition fees

In the autumn semester 2011, Sweden introduced application and tuition fees for international students who are not citizens of the EU, EEA or Switzerland or exchange students (whose studies are regulated by agreements between Swedish and foreign universities).

There are some exceptions to this general rule. The following is a list of criteria which exempt individuals, meaning they do not have to pay application and tuition fees. If you do not meet any of these criteria, you are most likely required to pay fees.

You are NOT required to pay application and tuition fees if:

  • You have Swedish citizenship
  • You have been granted a permanent Swedish residence permit
  • You have been granted a temporary Swedish residence permit for reasons other than studies (having a temporary residence permit for studies in Sweden does NOT grant you exemption from fee payments)
  • You are a family member of a citizen of an EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, AND have temporary or permanent right of residence in Sweden
  • You have long-term resident status in Sweden
  • You have long-term resident status in another country in the European Union AND have Swedish residency

Tuition fees will apply to bachelor and master programmes and courses, while PhD programmes remain free of tuition fees. PhD students who apply to a master's course will however have to pay tuition fees. Universities and university colleges set their own fee levels. You apply for courses and programmes through - an application fee of SEK 900 will be charged. You can read more about what fees are applicable by visiting

Local regulations for tuition fees at Linnaeus University