Routines and resources for new and revised programme syllabi
Programmes open for international admission (MASTER HT22 and IKHT22)
- Deadline for all documents for the revision is the 12th of April to email@example.com to be processed by, among others, the Educational Comittee at SBE
- The programme syllabus is decided on by the Faculty Board on the 9th of June at the latest
Programme with only a national admission
- Deadline for all documents for the revision is the 19th of October to firstname.lastname@example.org to be processed by, among others, the Educational Comittee at SBE
- The programme syllabus is decided on by the Faculty Board on the 8th of December at the latest
Requirements linked to accreditation
The Faculty’s mission (2018/3311-1.1.1) and its subtexts should be taken into account, links between the degree programme, and the mission explained. For new programmes, after self-evaluation (SER) is accepted, there must be an application for acceptance of the new programme from AACSB according to AACSB’s requirements specification before further work is carried out as below.
Requirements from Linnaeus University
In addition to the actual programme syllabus, additional information is needed as described in LNU’s principles for testing new degree programmes. There are a number of criteria to be assessed, e.g. situation analysis, teacher competence and capacity, and student influence, and the programme syllabus itself represents an appendix.
- Testing of a new degree programme leading to a general degree at first or second cycle level at Linnaeus University (FAC 2012/462) or
- Testing of a new degree programme leading to a vocational qualification at first or second cycle level at Linnaeus University (FAC 2012/463).
Decisions on the right to issue a professional education and training are taken by the Swedish Higher Education Authority.
Process at the School of Business and Economics
The person responsible at the knowledge platform (KP) reports the assessment criteria and the link to the faculty's mission in connection with the application to the faculty:
- The knowledge platform that wishes to initiate the development of a new degree programme makes a request to FS for permission to begin development. Alternatively, the faculty board can give KP the task of developing a new degree programme, e.g. via decision on an assignment by the Dean.
- Acceptance of the new programme is applied for from AACSB (if accreditation is approved)
- The faculty board discusses the description of the criteria at one of the board meetings during the year and responds positively to the request for development or rejects the request.
- Having received confirmation of the new development, the person responsible at KP follows the instructions in the above-mentioned LNU document for the development of a new degree programme and submits a complete application including preliminary programme syllabus for processing by UK as outlined below and final determination by FS.
- A financial manager/controller is involved in preparing the basis for the evaluation criteria.
- The curricula map is developed in parallel with the programme syllabus and is processed by the programme committee (AOL).
- The proposed teaching team shall be formulated and presented according to the AACSB "Faculty Qualification and Sufficiency Definitions”, i.e. Table 15-2.
Programme syllabuses are to be established in Swedish and translated into English according to the latest instructions for the formulation of programme syllabuses:
- Local rules for degree programmes at first and second cycle level at Linnaeus University (2014/442 – 1.1),
Requirements for qualifications including first and last elements are available in the local system of qualifications:
- Local system of qualifications for Linnaeus University for first, second and third cycle levels (2018/2361 – 1.1.1),
Procedure – new and revised programme syllabuses
- The person responsible at KP, in consultation with the relevant head of department appoints a responsible member of faculty, e.g. programme coordinator, who contacts educational administration (UA) for the creation of a new programme syllabus in course info, or the revision of an existing one.
- UA sets the programme code/revision number in consultation with the Office of Student Affairs and prepares a template including standard formulations and intended learning outcomes in the Swedish and English versions of the Higher Education Ordinance.
- The responsible member of faculty fills in the template and prepares a goal matrix, and during revision, the proposed changes are compiled as the front page of the programme syllabus.
- The person responsible at KP and the relevant heads of department, and/or the person(s) appointed by the head(s) of department, quality reviews and approves the programme syllabus before further processing. Alternatively, the programme syllabus is adjusted in consultation with the responsible member of faculty/PA before further processing.
- UA checks the formalities and prepares the case for UK.
- UA processes the application for the new degree programme, including the programme syllabus in UK and the goal matrix in the programme committee.
- A responsible member of faculty can be called to the UK meeting and/or AOL meeting if the programme syllabus is processed for the first time.
- Upon return, UA contacts the responsible member of faculty for adjustments and any additions to the application and/or programme syllabus and/or goal matrix.
- UA and the responsible member of faculty prefer the application for the new degree programme including programme syllabus in FS. The board establishes the programme syllabus, or refers it back, in which case UA contacts the relevant KP for further adjustments or additions.
- If the board has accepted the programme syllabus, UA expedites the decision by entering the relevant reference number and determining the programme syllabus in course info and notifying the Office of Student Affairs.
- UA expedites the board decision in the diary (W3D3).
- UA notifies those affected (e.g. KP, head of department, programme coordinator, controller, education planners, study counsellor, KOM contact) and uploads the established programme syllabus in W3D3.
- The programme syllabus and the decision are archived by the registrar.
For the introduction and phasing out of degree programmes, see the Vice-Chancellor’s Delegation-making of Authority Directive to the Faculty board, while operational decisions regarding low application numbers have been delegated to the dean. The continuation sheet enables traceability and documentation of changes, which are important evidence of continuous improvement in accreditation.
NB, requests for new courses and/or change of language/course content and/or change in placement of courses must be agreed with the relevant heads of department (the department is the course owner) whether within the School of Business and Economics or within interfaculty agreements.