For Doctoral Students
Here you will find information about your doctoral education, employment, courses, research support, and how to prepare for your dissertation and degree.
There are both open and hidden groups on Linnaeus University's internal web Staff, that can be of interest to you as a doctoral student. Here you can see which groups are on Staff.
Show more news
- Vitamin D deficiency and osteoporosis as side effects from drugs often overlooked in healthcare News
- The history of pollution is revealed through the Baltic Sea sediments News
- Belonging to several stigmatized groups is not necessarily a minus on the job market News
- Dissertation on comfort women points out the importance of viewing historical events in their context News
- Seven new PhD students in Global Humanities News
- Risk factors for myopia in Swedish schoolchildren News
- Large-scale cultivation of microalgae can clean emissions from industry, also in Nordic climate News
- Few family members are offered support from the health care services after deaths as a result of sudden cardiac arrest News
- Strengthen your company’s development journey with an externally-employed doctoral student in AI/Computer/IT News
- The 5th “Advances in Destination Management” is happening in Kalmar now News
- Grants from the Crafoord Foundation to nine projects News
- The potential of birch as high-quality material News
- Small changes in the healthcare can increase the sense of safety for children who are about to have surgery News
- How to fight poverty – new dissertation challenges traditional approaches to sustainable development News
- Cutting-edge research centre on big data and AI granted continued funding News
- After the flow of refugees to Sweden in 2015: No increased polarization on Twitter News
- Despite decline in support, new legislation is being enacted that allows the death penalty in the United States to continue News
- Five salaried doctoral student positions in Global humanities! News
- Berries and pulses reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and are good for the gut microbiota News
- Three Salaried Doctoral Student Positions at LNUC Concurrences News
- Concurrences PhD summer school 2022: The Colonial Anthropocene. News
- Industrial doctoral student conducts research from the factory floor News
- Hanna’s road to the rodents in the Kalahari Desert News
- Robots and collaboration are keys to teaching in programming in schools in the future News
- New doctoral thesis on how to engineer intelligent, AI-based systems News
- New insights into how to increase interest in energy renovation of detached houses News
- Transport system in the human brain studied in new dissertation News
- Wanted: Four industrial doctoral students with a focus on data-intensive applications News
- Best paper award for a methodology for reducing the energy consumption of software News
- Industrial doctoral student works with smart cities as effective ecosystems News
- Pupils develop by learning in nature News
- Doctoral student in computer science presents two papers at conference on visualization News
- Industrial doctoral students will create digital twins for Volvo CE News
- Growing need for research and innovation in the post Covid-19 world News
- More than SEK 20 million from the Knowledge Foundation to new company graduate school at Linnaeus University News
You who are newly admitted
Welcome to Linneuniversitetet
As a newly admitted doctoral student, there is a lot to understand. Your faculty is responsible for introducing you to your studies and providing you with the information you need for your studies.
Support you during your training
As a doctoral student, you are a doctoral student. This means that you have access to the support aimed at students at Linnaeus University at all levels.
On the external website Support and service for students you will find information about services, support and aids that may be useful during your studies. Here you will find information about student health, about your rights and obligations and about Linnaeus University's work against discrimination, harassment and violations.
As a doctoral student, you are often also employed at Linnaeus University and then have access to services, support and aids as employees on the page Employed at Lnu. If you are employed by someone other than Linnaeus University, you can also turn to your employer for support and help.
Pages for doctoral projects on Lnu.se
In order for others to find information about your research, there needs to be a page for your doctoral project on Lnu.se. The target group for the page is, among other things, researchers, financiers, partners, journalists, organizations and industry.
Read more about how to get help creating a page on Lnu.se.
As a new employee, there is a lot of information to take part of about your new workplace.
Here you will find collected information about your employment.
Each semester, a joint introductory day is organized, once in Swedish and once in English. You will then meet representatives from the university management and get a review of various aspects of the work at Linnaeus University.
University-wide introductory activities.
Courses and mobility
The doctoral education is divided into two parts – one part of the course and one thesis part. The courses included in the programme can be aimed at several doctoral students in the subject or be individual reading courses designed to suit the subject you are studying and the research project you are working on. There are also courses aimed at doctoral students in several subjects, and university-wide courses aimed at everyone studying at doctoral level at Linnaeus University.
Mobility for doctoral students
As a doctoral student, you have many opportunities to gain international experience during your doctoral studies. You are counted as both a student and staff and can therefore apply for funds aimed at both of these groups.
Read more about international experience during the doctoral studies on the page Mobility for doctoral students.
As an employee, you can apply for external and internal scholarships.
During the course of the project
During the implementation of your research project, the University offers support in areas such as information retrieval, reference management, research data management. Read more on the page During the the research project.
Information about publishing openly available (open access) and costs for this, registering research publications in DiVA, research innovation, publishing on the university's publisher Linnaeus University Press and managing research data can be found on the page Publish, Utilize and Make Your Research Visible.
Good research practice
As an employee at Linnaeus University, you are responsible for following good research practice. Good research practice refers to the ethical practices that form the basis of the research activities and which are based on principles of reliability, honesty, respect and responsibility, which jointly ensure the integrity of research. The common principles are outlined in the European Code for the Integrity of Research published by All European Academies, ALLEA. More information about good research practice can also be found in the Swedish Research Council's publication "Good research practice".
Council for Good Research Practice
At Linnaeus University, the Vice-Chancellor has established a council for good research practice. On behalf of the Vice-Chancellor, the Council deals with suspicions of deviations from good research practice. information and contact details of the Good Research Practice Council
Ethics Committee Southeast
If you have questions about the research ethical aspects of your work, you are welcome to contact the Ethics Committee Southeast. They can assist with advisory ethical review of the project regarding relationship and information to research subjects, as well as handling, collection, processing, publishing and archiving of data.
Information and contact information for the Ethics Committee Southeast.
Part of your mission as a Doctoral Student is to communicate your research outside the scientific community.
The Communications Department offers, among other things:
- Help with writing and publishing news and press releases about your research.
- Lectures on research communication from various aspects, as well as press and media advice.
- Production of films about your research results.
- Guidance on how you can use social media, podcasts, etc. to spread your research.
Doctoral student influence
As a doctoral student, you have the opportunity to influence your education in different ways. For example, you can be a doctoral student representative in preparatory and decision-making bodies within the university, but you can also influence by answering course evaluations and the doctoral student barometer that is sent out every three years.
Public defence, diploma and promotion
There is a lot to think about before a public defence. Starting to plan for the public defence in the best possible time usually makes it easier. Read more about public defence, diplomas and promotion here.