Teaching and learning services
On this page you can read more about the teaching offered by the University Library and about the cooperation between the library and program or course coordinators.
Our subject librarians offer group teaching sessions in connection with independent work where students are required to search for and use literature in addition to mandatory course literature (two or three sessions per program). The teaching is adapted to suit the subject and the requirements of the assignment.
Examples of topics:
- Academic publications and source evaluation
- Search terms and search techniques
- General and subject-specific databases
Academic writing and study skills
The Academic Support Centre (link to https://lnu.se/en/library/Writing-and-referencing/academic-support-centre/) (ASC) offers teaching about academic writing in connection with independent work on various levels. The teaching can be adapted to suit the subject and the requirements of the assignment. A lecture about study skills can be given at the beginning of an academic program.
Examples of topics:
- The structure, language and style of academic texts
- Referencing and referencing programs
- Planning your studies and effective reading strategies
Cooperation between the University Library and teaching staff
Students’ abilities to search for resources and to write academically are always developed in connection with subject studies. The library’s support is the most effective when the librarian or ASC staff and the course teacher cooperate on a well thought-out plan.
The University Library suggests that:
- The course or program coordinator cooperates with the librarian or ASC staff to identify the courses where teaching is required the most.
- The course coordinator informs the librarian or ASC staff of the students’ assignment and together they discuss suitable teaching content and teaching method.
Evaluation of the teaching sessions can be done by the University Library as well as in regular course evaluations. Feedback is important for the quality of our teaching.