Upgrade of MyMoodle
On June 15, 2020 we upgrade to version 3.8 of MyMoodle.
MyMoodle will be upgraded to a newer version on Monday 15 June and will be completely shut down all day from midnight to midnight,.
After the upgrade there will be some essential adjustments to the system that may cause temporary disturbances during Tuesday 16 June and Wednesday 17 June.
If you as a teacher plan to present your course room to students on Monday or Tuesday that week we recommend that you make a screen recording or PowerPoint slideshow in advance and use that instead.
The upgrade is necessary to ensure that MyMoodle has the latest functionality and to ensure system security. The update schedule has been agreed by RUL (Council for education and learning) in agreement with all faculties.
Moodle news 3.6-3.8
The upgrade involves hundreds of improvements "in the background", but with the new version comes some new functionality. Here we have gathered what we think is most important.
For more detailed information about the versions, see further down.
- Timed posts, start time and end time (teacher only)
- Quick response, where you see the entire previous discussion as you write
- Sorting of posts
- Reply privately to forum posts (teacher only)
- Favorite mark discussions
- Forum summary report, overview of how users have been active in a forum
- Export of forums in csv format, for example for import to portfolio
- Significant improvement in grading in forums
- Locking of forums and discussions
- Group messages
- Better push notifications
- Improved filtering and sorting of students when grading
- Ability to anonymize assessors for students
- Improved accountability in Task
- Clearer warning if students are not present in any group during group assignments
- Clearer if a course is hidden to students
- Enhanced Dashboard
- Freezing of course and activities (will be activated later)
- Notification when user session is ending
- Improved calendar
- Descriptions are displayed for Book, Lesson and IMS content packs
- Improved performance in the mobile app
StudentQuiz (will be activated later on)
This is a completely new function, where students can create questions themselves during the course and do exercise quizzes, for example before the final exam. Teachers who post the activity can choose to "release it completely free" or that questions should be moderated / approved by teachers. Students can use each other's questions and at any time choose to put together their own quiz to test their knowledge.
Students can comment on and evaluate each other's questions. This can be completely turned off, done voluntarily or be mandatory.
The questions that students create do not end up in the course's question bank. But teachers can choose to import questions they think are particularly good to the question bank, for use, for example, in examination quizzes.
Overview of changes with version 3.7: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/New_features
Complete list of news for version 3.7 can be seen here: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.7_release_notes
Overview of changes with version 3.8: https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/New_features
Complete list of news for version 3.8 can be seen here: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.8_release_notes
New theme (Look & feel)
In connection with the upgrade of MyMoodle, the old theme Essential reaches its end of life. A project to change the theme has been going on during the winter (with a delay due to Lnu's conversion to digital teaching) and the new theme is called Adaptable.
Due to the launch of both the theme and the new version of MyMoodle at the same time, it has been decided to allow the theme to retain as much of the look and functionality from what we have been used to, as possible.
However, there is some news that improves, among other things, navigation and workflow.
More information and examples of what is new will be published here before June 15th so that you can get acquainted with the changes that will follow.
A quick sample
Here you get a first taste of an improvement. You can now click a button to hide all blocks and retrieve them again, and switch between full screen and normal width on the page. A definite advantage for those with large screens.