Upgrade of MyMoodle
On August 19, 2019, we upgraded to version 3.6 of MyMoodle.
We still have a problem with the navigation menu for some users in some courses.
If you are in a course where the navigation menu is folded, not showing the current course and the link to participants, you can work around that by clicking the link "My courses". This will show you all your courses and in that list the Current course is shown, together with the participant link.
You can also go to the menu "Administration -> Course administration->Users->Enrolled users". It is the same participant list.
We hope to have a fix in place soon.
The upgrade is done to keep a steady pace with improved functionality and to maintain the security of the system. There is currently no time of year when we do not have ongoing course activities, and the timing of the upgrade is selected based on a number of different factors in order to avoid the disruption to the business to the best possible extent.
What is new with 3.6?
In the next section (List of new/updated features) we list everything that has changed, but most of them are things that you, as a teacher or student, will never notice. They either happen in the background or are functions that only advanced users benefit from in special cases.
However, the changes that you will notice are few and for the better.
The first news is the appearance of your Dashboard. There are two new blocks for quick navigation:
Recently accessed items
This block lists the activities and resources you last visited. A click on an activity / resource takes you right there again, in that course room. A smooth tool for, for example, grading times when one often goes back into the same activity for several days straight.
Recently accessed courses
Similarly, the courses you last visited are listed here, regardless of whether you are registered to them or not. A click on the course will take you there.
The large course overview remains, but has a changed function. Gone are the three tabs "Past, In progress and Future". Instead, all your own courses are listed here. There is, however, a smart filter where you can choose to see only ongoing courses for example. Courses are filtered with Past, In progress and Future based on the start and end dates of the course that are fetched from LADOK (you can change the date in the course settings yourself).
Also new is that you can mark (star) courses that you often use. You can then filter these out by selecting Starred and then the list only shows the courses you have starred that way.
Another long awaited news is that you can choose to hide course rooms that you do not want to have in your list.
The quick menu "My latest courses" remains in the top row and functions as before.
New video/audio recorder built in to the formatting tools
As of version 3.5 Moodle introduced a new recording tool built in directly to the text formatting tools allowing you to embed shorter (2 min) video or audio clips to your texts. This is available when you use the ATTO editor. Please note that the new recording tools won't work with the native browsers (i.e. Edge and Safari) so use Chrome or Firefox instead.
News about forum
Urkund in forums
You can now activate Urkund (anti plagiarism) in a forum to scan students attachments in submissions. An important step to make Forums usable as an examining activity.
No forum notifications from hidden rooms
Forums inside course rooms that you have hidden from students can no longer send out forum notifications to students. Earlier, this has been a problem because the students has (so far) received an e-mail notification of posts you have written, but they haven't been able to access the forum because the course room is hidden, which confused many. So a great change!
News about Workshop
In the Workshop activity you can now activate Urkund (anti plagiarism) to scan students attachments in submissions.
News about messages
The message function (the little speech bubble at the top) has got a make over as well. It works as usual, but it has become possible to star mark conversations with people to easier find them in the list.
New is also the opportunity for you as a teacher to enter your course groups and change a setting to allow group messaging. Then the students in the group can use messages to communicate within their study group and do not have to send to the students one by one.
You can now also change the settings to have more control over who can send you messages/contact you.
News for the participant list
In the new version, as a teacher you can go to the participant list in your course room and download it as a Microsoft Excel file if you wish.
Otherwise it is small fixes and functions that you will probably never notice, but please look through the list below if you want to learn more.
List of new/updated features
We are now moving from version 3.4 to version 3.6. With this comes a string of important updates that was launched in the versions between. This list includes links to the ticket codes with more information at Moodle.org.
Please note that all the news that came with the "in-between" updates listed below are "news" that we get automatically with the new version 3.6. The list is presented in chronological order but they are all part of the "new" package.
- MDL-49651- Hidden courses no longer send forum notifications to participants
- Ability to activate Urkund (Anti plagiarism) in Forums and Workshops
- MDL-61135 - Filter questions by tag
- MDL-61138 - Show the list of questions in the 'Add a random question' dialog
- MDL-58411 - Ability to apply file type restrictions for essay question type
- MDL-41090 - Allow teachers to embed files (images) when manually grading questions
- MDL-60848 - Implement RecordRTC Atto plugin for direct recordings in text fields
- MDL-62782- Users with the capability mod/assign:viewgrades can also view uploaded feedback files
- MDL-63044and MDL-63337 - New Course overview and Timeline block
- MDL-63062- New Recently accessed courses block
- MDL-63063- New Recently accessed items block
- MDL-63457- Option to hide courses in the course overview block
- MDL-63058- Option to star/unstar courses in the course overview block
- MDL-63064- New Starred courses block
- MDL-63352- Dashboard retains user preferences for view options
- MDL-63793- Course overview block retains user preferences for the number of courses to show
- MDL-61161- Grace period when displaying "In progress" courses in course overview block
- MDL-63040- Removal of Dashboard page header
- MDL-57272 and MDL-63280 - Group messaging
- MDL-63303- New messaging UI with messaging drawer
- MDL-63279- Option to disable site-wide messaging
- MDL-63214- Privacy setting for restricting who can message you
- The new 'Allow site-wide messaging' setting is disabled by default for new installs but enabled for upgraded sites if $CFG->keepmessagingallusersenabled = true;is defined in config.php
- MDL-63213- Option to star messaging conversations
- MDL-63283- Notifications not sent for group conversations
- MDL-63281- Group members synchronised with messaging conversations members
- MDL-27520- Assignment feedback can include media or other files
- MDL-58454 - Support for Open Badges v2.0
- MDL-63738- Single questions can be exported from the question bank
- https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Drag_and_drop_markers_question_type enhanced editing
- MDL-60820- Teachers can specify workshop submission types
- MDL-51177- atto_htmlplus implemented to improve Atto editor HTML indenting
- MDL-45170- Copy and paste of images from one WYSIWYG window to another
- MDL-61388- Forum actions announced by screen reader when completed
- MDL-53566- Context freezing - setting read-only access for categories, courses, activities and their content
- MDL-41265- Page resource option to show/hide "Last modified"
- MDL-59454 - Option to download the list of course participants
- MDL-63772 - Capability to control use of Atto Record RTC