LnuPlay is the Linnaeus University's new media service/portal with focus on web based production, storage and distribution of video.
To start with we focus on the integration with our Learning platform, Mymoodle. As a teacher you are able to manage video (and sound and images) directly inside your course room. You are able to:
- upload existing video/sound files/images clips for storage and distribution. The system accepts most of the standard formats for digital video/sound/images and re-code them to a format suitable for all viewers.
- produce your own movies directly within Mymoodle, for example record your self with the use of a web camera, perhaps as a welcome message or a weekly information letter in video format.
- make your own screen cast recordings giving a lecture, show how to use a software, commenting a student assignment and so on.
The movies you upload or record are easily accessible from within Mymoodle for reuse in other courses and contexts.
LnuPlay can aslo be used for sound files and images, in the same manners as with video.
play.lnu.se - Our portal
The second part of LnuPlay is the portal, play.lnu.se
This is where you log in to find all the videos that you have produced or uploaded from Mymoodle and gives you the option to further edit them and give the final touches. You are able to...
- add meta data and perform simpler video editing to trim the beginning and end of a video.
- create child clips from a video to publish just a section of a longer video.
- choose different ways to publish your videos by creating play lists and channelse. Play lists may be embedded to a course room in Mymoodle or any web page in the world.
- produce video by uploading and recording directly from the portal..
A development work in several stages
This is the first stage for LnuPlay. The service, managed by the University Library and Educational Environment, will continue to evolve in cooperation with representatives from the staff once this stage is well established.
More about LnuPlay
LnuPlay is a large system and it is divided into different interfaces. On the backend we have the system management interface, the KMC (Kaltura Management Console) that handles all the settings, priveleges and media that has been stored. Access to this is only for administrators (every faculty is represented through an ICT pedagogue).
For the frontend we have two interfaces:
- the portal itself (play.lnu.se) which is called KMS (Kaltura Media Space). This is where all our public content gets displayed and its front page is administered and managed by the Communication department (as from 2017). In this area there is also a personal area (only for staff) where you log in to gain access to all your media.
- our learning management system, Mymoodle, where all the media in the system is built in via a plugin called KAF (Kaltura Application Framework). This plugin enables you (together with your students) to gain full access to the media repository and to use it within your course room in Mymoodle in various ways.
LnuPlay is a joint service provided through the SUNET network. Most of the universities in Sweden use the same system and we work together with them to further develop according to our users needs.
The media servers are located in Copenhagen, Denmark, and are run (and supported) by the Nordic University collaboration, nordu.net. The system we use comes from Kaltura.com and they are also involved in the nordic collaboration.