Keep up to date with what's happening with LnuPlay by joining our news and discussion groups.
News about LnuPlay
Discussions about LnuPlay
Upgrades and versions
During the weekend of February 7-9 our provider updated their servers to a new version.
Our current version of the Kaltura Media Space (KMS) is 5.95.06. The server version is what governs the functionality on play.lnu.se and MyMoodle.
For a complete list of Kalturas releases (even those we have not yet obtained), please see the Kaltura Release Notes.
On the weekend of February 7-9 the version will be upgraded to 5.9 (exact sub version unknown at this stage). Learn more about the new version below.
Version 5.9 (Feb 2020)
During the weekend of February 7-9 our supplier, Nordu.net, updated the Kaltura platform to version 5.95.06.
The new version will evolve LnuPlay with both new functions and improvements of existing.
With 5.95.06 we also benefit from the bugfixes and minor changes that has taken place between version 5.79 and 5.9.
The key news are:
- Ended support for Kaltura CaptureSpace. With the new serverversion there is no longer any support for the older recorder, Kaltura CaptureSpace. From now on you can only download and use Kaltura Capture (which comes in new, updated version).
- A brand new way of producing interactive videos: Kaltura Interactive Video Paths which enables viewers to make decisions during a media play and interact with buttons in the video leading them to another media or another place in the current. It's a way to stitch together different media to make up a story where the viewer controls the path forward. Read more about it here: https://corp.kaltura.com/products/education/interactive-video/
- Kaltura Express Capture - HTML Webcam Recorder – A new Big Red Button has been added to the Kaltura Capture suite. This new feature is now available for all KMS and KAF instances. Kaltura Express Capture enables recording content directly from the browser, with no need to install any additional software.
The Download a Copy option has been added that allows you to download a copy of your recording before uploading and saving it to KMS.
- New Channel type – “Public, Open”: Kaltura has added a new type of public channel. A public channel is a channel that is available to guests just like the galleries (assuming your KMS is open for anonymous users). The ability to add content to the existing public channel was restricted to channel members. The new Public Open channel is opened to any logged in user with the private Only role and above, and can add content to it without being a member of the channel.
- MediaSpace sharing capabilities have been enhanced, allowing end users to share a video while pointing it to a specific time start and/or end time.
- Improvement on displaying where a media is published
- Collaboration, Co-Viewer – A new collaboration type is now available – “Co-Viewer”. This option allows users to share videos with other team members or groups without the need to publish the video or make it unlisted.
- Improvements in the Videoquiz: a new Analytics Table, the ability to Remove Attempts of a user, the ability to allow Multiple Attempts for each quiz, and a brand-new question type – Open Text Question.
- Create hotspots in your videos. You can now create links to show in your video leading to either a web page or to a specific place in your video.
- Express recording via the browser. A new recording function that uses the browser (Only for Chrome and Firefox) directly to record and you don't need to start Capture to make a quick web cam recording.
- Improvements and bug fixes for the editor.
- Prepared for automatic transfer of Zoom meeting recordings.
Version 5.79.19 (Dec 2018)
On December 14th, 2018 our media server was upgraded to a new version; Kaltura version 5.79.19.
With the new version we got some updates and news:
- A new and improved media editor
- A new version of the VideoQuiz editor
- A new recorder: Kaltura Personal Capture (not activated yet)
- A Flash free interface. Now everything is made to HTML5 standards
- Faster upload (7x faster according to Kaltura)
For a full list of updates and changes, see https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-mediaspace-5-and-kaltura-application-framework-kaf-release-notes-and-changelog
As of June 2019 the old Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder will no longer get updated by Kaltura and we will instead implement the new Kaltura Personal Capture, once we think it's stable enough. It is both simpler to learn, better functionality and also developed by Kaltura. The CaptureSpace app is made by a third party vendor and by making this change Kaltura will have more control over the development.