Urkund – antiplagiarism system
URKUND is the common system at Linnaeus University for preventing and identifying plagiarism in student papers. The Board of the Centre for Educational Development in Higher Education has decided that Linnaeus University should use URKUND as its university-wide antiplagiarism system.
However, before getting an Urkund account, please read about the function address for MyMoodle.
URKUND through MyMoodle
MyMoodle has a function address for URKUND which is added automatically when a new hand-in assignment is added*. This means that both teachers who have their own URKUND address and those who do not can use the function address. Teachers who have their own personal URKUND address are free to change to this one from the function address if they so wish, and, of course, the entire URKUND comparison can always be shut off.
The difference between a personal URKUND address and the function address is
… that, with a personal address, the teacher can ask his or her students to send their assignments directly to the personal address, and then go to urkund.se to log in to his or her URKUND account (see above) where all documents sent to that address can be found. Here teachers will also be able to see the comparison/”the authenticity report”. If the personal URKUND address has been stated, information sent through MyMoodle will also be available here.
… that, if one uses the function address, one will not be able to see all documents received in URKUND through the years. However, all teachers on a course are able to click their way from the assignment in MyMoodle to the sent-in document in Urkund (logging in is not required, this is handled by MyMoodle) to see the more detailed comparison. In addition, if one uses MyMoodle’s handing-in functionality one can grade directly in the course and get a complete documentation of grades straight away.
Both what goes for the personal address and the function address there is another important difference between sending through MyMoodle and asking students to send an email directly to the personal URKUND address: If sent through MyMoodle, other teachers on the course will also be able to see the comparison for the documents in the assignment, and be able to click their way to URKUND in order to see a detailed comparison. However, they will only be able to see documents relating to courses on which they teach. This is usually preferable. If, however, students are asked to send their assignments directly to URKUND, the only one who will be able to log in and see the comparison is the teacher who owns the URKUND address in question.
Frequently made URKUND mistakes
- Wrong address stated by the person who created the hand-in assignment in MyMoodle. This is one reason for the fact that there is now a default address when one creates a new hand-in assignment. Information about this can be found by clicking on the help section next to the address field in the settings for hand-in assignment in MyMoodle.
- File formats not compatible with URKUND. The information on what file formats are accepted has now been made more clear, both for the person who creates an assignment and for students in connection to the handing in of an assignment.
- Odd characters in the file name. It is always best to use a–z and numbers. It seems that URKUND is able to handle most characters, but, for instance, &, (, !, can be problematic. This is also made clear to students in connection to their handing in of assignments.
- Incorrectly named document. If the extension stating the document’s file type is incorrect, for instance if the dot has been removed (as in assignmentdocx instead of the correct assignment.docx) URKUND cannot interpret this.
Good to know
- URKUND does not make comparisons between documents from the same sender. In other words, students can hand in a complementary assignment without it generating a “complete match” because of a previously handed-in assignment.
- The hand-in assignment can be set so that it is sent to URKUND immediately in connection to the upload, or for this to wait until the student chooses to submit for grading. If a new document is uploaded a new comparison will be made.
- If a handed-in document is reverted to draft by the teacher the student will be able to upload a new file after which URKUND will make a new comparison.
- Usually it only takes a few hours for URKUND to handle a document, during that time a cogwheel is shown in MyMoodle. However, during hectic periods the handling may take longer and URKUND has informed us that it may take as long as four days from when the document is handed in.
- If a warning triangle is shown this means that URKUND has failed to carry out the comparison but will try again, as long as there is nothing wrong with the file. As a teacher, if the comparison should take more than four days, or if you are in a hurry to know the result, you are welcome to contact their support on: support_AT_urkund.se. In that case you are to state the student’s name, email address, and the name of the document in question.
Regarding documents containing sensitive information
The student will receive an email, containing information on an “opt-out link”, confirming his or her upload to URKUND. This is used to make sure that the document later on is not used for comparisons with other documents outside Lnu. Please note that it is not advisable to use URKUND for documents which you know contain sensitive information. The system is based on comparisons with other documents.
The result of the comparison and with what documents similarities have been found can also be viewed by the students through a link, if the assignment has been set so that students may see it. However, the default setting for assignments in MyMoodle is that students are not able to see the comparison.
*If you have already stated an URKUND address when adding an earlier hand-in assignment in MyMoodle this is usually added automatically when you create a new hand-in assignment. You can keep this if you want what is sent in to be saved on your own URKUND account, or you could state the function address: mymoodle.LNU_AT_analys.urkund.se.