Street in Osaka

International possibilities for you that study independent courses at FKH

You who take independent courses at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities can choose when you want to go on exchange studies, either for a term or a full year. In addition, there are other international opportunities you can take advantage of during your studies.

What do I get out of exchange studies?

  • You get a great opportunity to develop academically and gain new perspectives on your studies.
  • You will also gain other insights and experiences that you can benefit from in the future, both in your future career and privately.
  • Furthermore, you get support throughout the process and with all the practical details.
  • The higher education credits from your exchange can be included in a Swedish degree.
  • You do not have to pay tuition fees to the foreign university.
  • Depending on which country you choose to go to, you can get extra money in the form of grants or scholarships, in addition to CSN.

The world is open

When can I go on exchange studies?
You can go on exchange studies from your term 3 at Lnu.

What do I need to study during possible exchange studies?
You are free to choose which courses you want to take during the exchange studies, as long as they are scientific and not practical courses.

When do I need to apply?
The process to apply for exchange studies is long, so you need to be out in good time. Applications for exchange studies are held during the autumn term, the academic year before you go on exchange studies. The application usually opens in the middle of the autumn term.

What is credited after the exchange studies within the program?
We credit "Exchange Studies, 30 hp credits" and then also state the courses that you have taken during the exchange studies. For those of you who study independent courses, it is easiest for you to take your main subject area at Lnu and thus be able to freely choose which courses you want to study during the exchange studies.

Bring your exchange studies to a degree at Linnaeus University
When you go on exchange studies, you can use them in a degree at Linnaeus University. In a bachelor's degree, half of your degree (90 credits) consists of a main subject area, including a degree project of at least 15 credits within the main subject area.

The other half of your degree consists of courses you choose entirely yourself based on interest and future thoughts, and  30-90 credits of these can be exchange studies.

Where can I go?

At Linnaeus University, there are many universities all around the world where you can go on exchange studies, we have partners in both Asia, Africa, Europe, North America and South America. Below are some universities where students who have taken independent courses has been on exchange studies before. Look through the universities below or some of the several hundred others with whom we collaborate.

  • The ISEP consortium (several countries)
  • The USAC consortium (several countries)
  • Metropolitan University, Prague, Czech Republic
  • University of Strasbourg, France
  • University of Nantes, France
  • University of Greenwich, Great Britain
  • Bath Spa University, Great Britain
  • Mannheim University, Germany
  • University of Iceland, Iceland
  • Mary Immaculate College, Limerick, Ireland
  • University of Limerick, Ireland
  • Università degli Studi Roma Tre, Italy
  • Akita International University, Japan
  • Ryukoku University, Japan
  • Ritsumeikan University, Japan
  • Jagiellonian University, Poland
  • Korea University, South Korea
  • Ewha Woman's University, South Korea
  • Autonomous University of Barcelona, ​​Spain
  • University of Castile-La Mancha, Spain
  • University of Central Missouri, USA
  • California State University, Chico, USA
  • San Francisco State University, USA
  • North-West University, USA

There are intentionally no links above, as the best thing for you is to look at the information in our placement list to make sure that the university is included in the application during the period you are planning your exchange studies.

You also need to confirm that the partner institutions you are interested in work with what you want to study during your exchange by looking through the courses that are available for exchange students on their respective websites. If you find several courses that work with what you are planning to study that is good, you can also check with the Faculty's international coordinator before applying for exchange studies.

What do students who have been on exchange studies think?

In the latest evaluation we made of exchange studies at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, 100% of all outgoing students state that they are satisfied with their exchange studies.

Some quotes from art and humanities students who have been on exchange studies when asked; What do you want to tell others who are going on exchange studies?

"Go! Truly a memory for life and one meets so many wonderful people"

"Make the most of it. It is a short time that goes really fast."

"Don't be a tourist, hang out with locals."

How do I take the next step?

Information about how to apply for exchange studies, how different exchange placements work, list of partner universities and when the application is open can be found on the student pages under international possibilities and the page for exchange studies. Thoroughly read the information available there.

What possibilities are there in addition to exchange studies?

Field Work Abroad

In addition to exchange studies, there are other international possibilities. When you do your degree project, you can as a part of the course collect material for your work abroad for 8-10 weeks, this is usually called field work. Depending on the location and circumstances of your particular fieldwork, there may be a scholarship to apply for to facilitate the field work abroad.

Internship abroad when you have collected 180 credits

In connection with the completion of your education, you can apply for a funded internship within the EU through the Erasmus + internship scholarship. It is important that you have not taken your degree if you are interested in this internship funding because the internship will then be included in your diploma supplement on your degree. You need to find your internship placement yourself and depending on whether you have used Erasmus + funds before or not, you can receive funding for up to 12 months. You apply for the internship scholarship the last semester of your program.

Who can I contact?

If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to contact the international coordinator at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at for questions or to book a meeting.

Or you can contact our international office at for more general questions about exchange studies, they also have a student lounge open several days a week. Information about the opening hours can be found on the page for international possibilities which is linked above.