We set knowledge in motion for a sustainable societal development.
Where knowledge grows. We are an international university in Småland. Over the last ten years, we have established Linnaeus University as a creative knowledge environment. We are now ready to continue building on this to realise our ambitious goals in an environment characterised by our basic principles: curiosity, creativity, companionship and utility. Linnaeus University is part of society. We want to work openly to promote academic development and make an impression. We want to take responsibility for developing our broad and specialised competence and create a better future for individuals and the world we share. In line with our academic tradition, we want to focus on how curiosity in knowledge creation generates utility through close collaborations, when we set knowledge in motion for a sustainable societal development. We call this approach the Linnaeus spirit.
In order to set knowledge in motion for a sustainable societal development the following is required:
- Innovative academic knowledge creation
- Sustainable excellence
- Culture and common ways of working
Innovative academic knowledge creation
Linnaeus University wants to make the most of and strengthen the creativity that is generated in knowledge environments that integrate scientific and artistic research, challenging education, and innovative collaboration. We want to achieve this by developing an open, critical, and cross-boundary knowledge creation with and for people and society. Our activities should be characterised by successful ways of working for students’ and members of staff’s intercultural, interdisciplinary, and international learning and co-creation in creative learning environments.
- Creative research and collaboration should significantly enrich our courses and programmes. With focus on the student’s knowledge, ability and initiative, we renew Linnaeus University’s courses and programmes and the pedagogical forms for life-long learning.
- Linnaeus University’s knowledge environments should achieve regional, national, and international recognition and appeal through sustainable, cross-boundary ways of working and successful results.
We profile ourselves by developing our ability to disseminate and, in collaboration, utilise knowledge that significantly and consistently contribute to a sustainable societal development. Academic freedom and excellence form the basis for a legitimate and powerful societal relevance. Free and independent research is the university’s contribution to innovative excellence that guarantees a sustainable knowledge creation. Our academic activities integrate values like equal opportunity, equality, sustainable development, and internationalisation to achieve excellence.
- Linnaeus University will take responsibility for and promote a sustainable societal development through relevant education and research.
- Linnaeus University will achieve the highest quality by safeguarding and developing academic freedom in a global interplay.
Culture and common ways of working
Linnaeus University should have distinct qualities and stories that are created and developed on a continuous basis through students’ and members of staff’s ways of working and performances, which combined make up the Linnaeus spirit. The Linnaeus spirit mirrors the academy’s reflecting, critical, and creative societal role. We are inspired by Carl Linnaeus and our work is permeated by curiosity, creativity, companionship and utility.
We want to develop continuous and innovative improvement work. The work should be based on respectful collaboration and a comprehensive view of the university’s activities. A common way of working requires an efficient and professional university administration that works together with teaching and researching members of staff. It requires a university administration that, with high quality, creates utility for the combined knowledge creation.
- Linnaeus University should be an open and learning organisation with ability to meet new challenges and work both systematically and cross-boundary with research, education and collaboration in focus.
- Linnaeus University will create an inclusive work environment that is characterised by mutual respect, a sense of community, and active leadership and employeeship.
- Linnaeus University makes visible innovative qualities and stories that become a decisive force for the university’s development.
Through innovative academic knowledge creation, sustainable excellence, culture and common ways of working, we want to realise our vision. Together we set knowledge in motion for a sustainable societal development.
Societal driving force "...collaboration comprises a broad spectrum of activities within the industry, cultural institutions, and the public sector, which also strengthens the identity of the Linnaeus…
Sustainable development "Our creative knowledge environment is permeated by global values – internationalisation, equal opportunity, and sustainable development – in research, education, and…
Internationalisation "Our creative knowledge environment is permeated by global values – internationalisation, equal opportunity, and sustainable development – in research, education, and…
Equal opportunity At Linnaeus University, the work with gender equality, diversity, equality, accessibility and equal treatment has been integrated into a whole under the umbrella term Equality of…
Quality assurance The Quality Policy at Linnaeus University provides the common basis for the quality work on all levels at the university. The big picture, being systematical, and communication…
The entrepreneurial university The ambition at Linnaeus University is to stand out at a national and international level through the way of working with entrepreneurship and be able to present the…
The Cultural University Our aim is to offer culture to students and members of staff, to support projects where art and science meet, and to collaborate with culture organisations in our surrounding…
Linnaeus University’s commitment to integration Linnaeus University is to be on the forefront in the work to make it easier for newly arrived academics to take part of supplementary efforts that will…