Forum Wood Building Nordic 2018 – towards a new renaissance highlights financial and social factors, which contributes to innovative thinking. Industry, production and product are developed as a result of progress within science and practice, as well as through an increased political openness.
Lectures by international speakers and a large exhibition where different organisations present their latest products and services have in the last few years made Forum Wood building Nordic one of the most important conferences within wood building and wood construction in the Nordic countries.
Examples of areas that will receive a lot of attention this time are:
• Planning to build with wood – the role of procurement
• Life cycle analysis for climate-smart sustainable building
• Great timber buildings and structures
• Product and production platforms for more efficient processes
You can register to the conference on http://forum-holzbau.com/nordic/
Telephone: +46 (0)72-239 45 73
Telephone: +46 (0)768-54 52
Forum Wood Building Nordic is a part of the international organization Forum Holzbau
Call for abstracts
The scientific committee for the 7th Forum Wood Building Nordic 2018 invites you to submit an abstract for the special academic sessions. Submitted abstracts should relate to high quality research describing original and unpublished results of conceptual, constructive, empirical, experimental, or theoretical work in all areas of wood building and timber construction. Authors of accepted abstracts will either be asked to submit a full length technical paper for peer-review and publication in the special conference issue 12 (4) of the journal Wood Material Science & Engineering, Taylor & Francis, or be asked for a contribution for the scientific poster exhibition and publication in the conference proceedings.
The 7th Forum Wood Building Nordic takes place from the 27th to 28th of September 2018 and is hosted by the Linnaeus University in Växjö, Sweden. It is the main conference for wood building and timber construction in the Nordic countries and part of the international Forum Holzbau organization. The conference brings together academics and practitioners to exchange experiences and learn from the forefront in the field. High-class lectures from international speakers are accompanied by a comprehensive exhibition, where different organizations show their latest products and services.
Areas of submission
For the academic research sessions of the conference, and in cooperation with the scientific journal of Wood Material Science & Engineering, researchers are encouraged to submit abstracts about their research within any area related to wood building or timber construction.
Important dates and deadlines
- Abstract submission: Wednesday, December 18th 2017, 24.00 CET.
- Notification of acceptance: Wednesday, January 10th 2018
- Full paper submission: Wednesday, March 7th 2018, 24.00 CET.
- Final paper and poster submission: Tuesday, May 1st 2018, 24.00 CET.
Use a standard industry word processor (e.g. Microsoft Word 2010 - previous versions are accepted) with 2.5 cm margins on all four sides, single-spacing, and Times New Roman typeface with a 12-point pitch. The text should be left-justified only, and has no tabs, tables, figures, pictures or references. Please do not divide words or right-justify the text. Save your document as a *.doc or *.docx file.
Submitted abstracts have to be in English and will include:
- the title (not longer than two lines),
- authors' names (capitalized surname),
- body of text (not longer than 250 words),
- up to 5 key words and
- authors' contact details (if authors are from more than one organization, contact details for these can be included as well). Please make sure that you specify your professional title (e.g. PhD candidate) and year of dissertation!
Abstracts have to be sent to the abstract submittal form for the Forum Wood Building Nordic 2018 before Monday, December 18th 2017, 24.00 CET.
The scientific committee reserves the right to disregard submitted abstracts that do not follow the specified guidelines.
Ass. Prof. Tobias Schauerte
Faculty of Technology
35 195 Växjö, Sweden
Read more about the journal Wood Material Science & Engineering at http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/swoo20/current#.VABx4mOKV40
Address to the conference
About Forum Holzbau
Information will come soon.
For more information, visit the homepage of Forum Holzbau: http://www.forum-holzbau.com/
To reach Växjö
It is possible to reach Växjö (VXO) by flight via Amsterdam (Schiphol, AMS). You can search for flight connections on KLM.com.
Another convenient way to reach Växjö is to take a flight to Copenhagen airport (Kastrup, CPH), and then continue with a direct train from the airport to Växjö. It takes about two and half hours to travel from the airport to Växjö.
Train tickets at Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup)
There are two train companies, SJ and Öresundstågen, that will take you from Copenhagen to Växjö. You can buy tickets using vending machines in the luggage claim area or tickets offices at the airport.
You can find train schedule and also purchase your train ticket on sj.se/en or Lanstrafikenkron.se/en
In case you enter Sweden from the east (Finland, Russia, China and Japan) it can also be convenient to take a flight to Stockholm airport Arlanda (ARN) and then continue with a domestic flight to Växjö. There are flight departures Bromma (BMR). Visit flygbra.se/en for departures from Bromma.
If you travel by train from Stockholm you can find train schedule and purchase your train ticket on sj.se/en
Flight connections and more useful travel information on smalandairport.se/en
To reach campus in Växjö
Linnaeus University is located about 2.5 kilometers south of the city center.
Bus to campus
The best way to reach campus is to take bus number 3 heading towards "Universitetet". Our recommendation is to buy a "Visitor's ticket". With this, you can travel all over Växjö city and you can choose between a ticket valid for either 24 or 72 hours. The ticket can be purchased on board the bus or at the customer center (Växjö resecentrum) at Växjö railway station. If you want to pay on the bus we suggest you use your credit card. If you pay with cash there is an extra fee. The price varies between SEK 67 and SEK 144 depending on whether you choose 24 hours or 72 or hours and your age. More information on Lanstrafikenkron.se/en
During a two-year period, the bus stop from Växjö resecentrum (the bus stop at the railway station) will be replaced with the bus stop at "Storgatan" located on Kronobergsgatan since extensive construction work is being carried out at Växjö resecentrum.
Many of the hotels offer bicycles if you prefer that. It takes about 20 minutes by bike from the city centre to Linnaeus University.
Map of Campus in Växjö
Here you find a map of campus in Växjö (page 2 English)
Attractions in Växjö
Växjö is the very heart of southern Sweden – in the middle of Småland. There is a lot to see, experience, and do here – local handicraft, unique shops and world-class restaurants. If you just want to pick three things to see and do during your visit, we recommend you The Swedish Glass Museum, the House of Emigrants and the Teleborg Castle.
The Swedish Glass Museum
The House of Emigrants
Kosta Boda and the Crystal of Kingdom
Forum Wood Building Nordic is a sustainable conference
Linnaeus University strives for an equal and sustainable future. This shows also in our conferences. Forum Wood Building Nordic is a sustainable conference where everyone can participate on the same conditions and with the best of the climate, environment and ethics in mind.
Among other things, the conference strives to:
- To as large extent as possible, avoid or minimise the use of printed matter in connection to marketing, documentation and administration.
- Use Linnaeus University's conference app for storage and communication of important information. Since the conference programme will be available in the app, we will, for instance, only have a few printed programme folders on location. The same applies for conference material like writing pads and pens.
- Encourage participants not to hand out material at the conference, unless absolutely necessary. Instead we can offer to share your material on our website before the event or send it to the participants after the event.
- Encourage exhibitors to avoid low-quality, unsustainable goody bags or giveaways.
- Participant tags are returned after the conference.
- Offer transport with shuttle buses to and from the university's campus, instead of individual transportation.
- Show consideration to allergic persons and, therefore, not use strong perfumes at the conference, and not bring any nuts.
- Show consideration to the environment when choosing food and drinks, and avoid plastic products like disposable cutlery and plastic bottles.
- Offer alternatives to bottled water.
- The hotels on offer in connection to the conference have been procured, and environmental requirements have been made in connection to the procurement.
At the conference dinner, alcoholic beverages will be served. You can always inform us if you would like something else to drink.