The Academic Ceremony is a big, annual event at Linnaeus University. At the Academic Ceremony, we celebrate the university’s academic achievements through the conferral of new doctors and honorary doctors, the inauguration of new professors, and by handing out academic awards. The registration has closed.
Academic Ceremony, 3 February 2023
- 04:00am CET New doctors and honorary doctors are conferred. New professorer are installad. Kalmarsalen
The ceremony is open to the public and no registration needed to participate. We need you to take your seats at 03.45 pm at the latest.
- 06:00pm Mingle with starters, for invited guests, Kalmarsalen.
- 07:30pm Banquet for invited guests, Kalmarsalen.
More activities during the week
During the same week that the Academic Ceremony is held, other exciting activities take place, all open to those who wish to participate. No pre-registration is required for any of the activities.
- Inauguration lectures by new professors are given on Tuesday 31 January in Kalmar, and on Tuesday 24 January and Wednesday 1 February in Växjö. Refreshments offered and no registration needed.
- Linnaeus University Live: Åsa Jungnelius and Vésteinn Hafsteinsson in an exciting conversation about art, sport and democracy. The discus thrower and athletics coach Vésteinn Hafsteinsson and the artist Åsa Jungnelius talk to Håkan Sandström, administrative director at Linnaeus University, about what the concept of democracy means within the sports movement and for the art world. Do not miss this!
Thursday February 2 18:00-19:30. Omnispace, House Stella, Universitetkajen in Kalmar. Read more about the conversation here.
- Exhibition about Academic Ceremony can be visited throughout this week. Here you will have the opportunity to learn more about the ceremonial rituals as well as the opportunity to take a closer look at the insignia; the doctor's hat, the laurel wreath and the ring. Open all week. Gallery Linnéa in Kalmar and Gallery Linnéa in Växjö.
• Poster exhibition with this year's new doctors, promovendi. Are you curious to read more about who has completed their dissertation during the year and who will be conferred as new doctors during the ceremony? Visit the poster exhibition in Zenit, House Culmen in Kalmar and Glaset, in House K in Växjö. Pop in when it suits you!
• Guided tours at Universitetkajen!
Ted Durdel, from the Communications Office at Linnaeus University, shows us around Universitetkajen and gives a historical overview of how Universitetkajen has developed. You get a tour of our unique study environments, and a magical view of the Kalmar Sound is promised.
At the same time, the Cultural University holds an art walk around Universitetkajen. For those interested in art, there are treats you don't want to miss.
Tours run in parallel. Friday February 3 at 1pm and 2pm. Meeting place: In the entrance to House Stella. Tours run about 45 minutes.