I am a professor in Food Science with a focus on nutrition/food chemistry at the Department of Chemistry and Biomedicine. My research focuses on food quality and the development of new healthy foods. Therefore, I am interested to characterize the nutrients in raw material and food, and to study how food processing affects nutrient content. Additional focus is on research on diet-health associations. My special research interest over the recent 25 years has been research on the vitamin folate, for which in many countries suboptimal dietary intake has been reported.
I am teaching students in the subjects of food science, nutrition, food chemistry and food analysis in several of the LNU programs, e.g. the bachelor programs "Nutrition and Food Science" or "Health Science", as well as in a course in entrepreneurship. I am also tutor and examiner for BSc-theses. A goal is to soon develop and offer a Master's program in "Nutrition and Food Science."
Well-being and health are affected by the diet, that should be both, healthy and tasty. Dietary surveys, however, show that our diet is far from optimal. The goal of improving food habits requires scientifically based nutrition recommendations, knowledge on food composition and a wide selection of tasty and healthy food. Studies on the composition of raw materials and foods, and on the effects of traditional household preparation or industrial processing on food quality and nutrient retention provide a basis for the development of novel healthy foods. To study diet-health associations, we use human modells or in vitro/simulation models to gain knowledge of nutrient bioavailability and metabolism. My special research interest since 25 years is the vitamin folate. This vitamin can be affected both positively and negatively by food processing, and still today knowledge about the vitamin's bioavailability and effects on health is limited.
- Member of the Expert Group for Nutrition and Public Health (National Food Agency)
- Member of the food strategy steering group of the Regional Council in Kalmar County
- Member of the steering group for the Torslunda Development Center of the Rural Economy and Agricultural Society/Hushållningssällskapet Kalmar-Kronoberg-Blekinge
- Lnu:s contact person for food within Småland-Blekinge South Sweden (the joint EU office in Brussels for the region and the institutions of higher education
Research groups and projects
Food Science Our research is oriented towards food and nutritional sciences. Our focus is on food quality and product development of new healthy food.
Project: Innovative legume-based foods and drinks for enhanced resource use efficiency in food systems The purpose of this transsektionell research project is to develop climate-smart and healthy foods…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Östman, J.R., Müllner, E., Eriksson, J., Kristinsson, H., Gustafsson, J., et al. (2019). Glucose Appearance Rate Rather than the Blood Glucose Concentrations Explains Differences in Postprandial Insulin Responses between Wholemeal Rye and Refined Wheat Breads—Results from A Cross-Over Meal Study. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 63. 1-9.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M., Moazzami, A. (2018). Plasma metabolite profiles in healthy women differ after intervention with supplemental folic acid v. folate-rich foods. Journal of Nutritional Science. 7. 1-9.
- Hefni, M.E., Schaller, F., Witthöft, C.M. (2018). Betaine, choline and folate content in different cereal genotypes. Journal of Cereal Science. 80. 72-79.
- Röös, E., Carlsson, G., Ferawati, F., Hefni, M.E., Stephan, A., et al. (2018). Less meat, more legumes : prospects and challenges in the transition toward sustainable diets in Sweden. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 1-14.
- Sonesson, U., Davis, J., Flysjo, A., Gustaysson, J., Witthöft, C.M. (2017). Protein quality as functional unit : A methodological framework for inclusion in life cycle assessment of food. Journal of Cleaner Production. 140. 470-478.
- Nicolas, G., Witthöft, C.M., Vignat, J., Knaze, V., Huybrechts, I., et al. (2016). Compilation of a standardised international folate database for EPIC.. Food Chemistry. 193. 134-140.
- Hefni, M.E., Shalaby, M.T., Mohamed, R.A., Elwa, A.M., Witthöft, C.M. (2016). Effect of a 12-Week Dietary Intervention with Folic Acid or Folate-Enhanced Foods on Folate Status in Healthy Egyptian Women. Food and Nutrition Sciences. 7. 1339-1351.
- Hefni, M.E., Shalaby, M.T., Witthöft, C.M. (2015). Folate content in faba beans (Vicia faba L.) - effects of cultivar, maturity stage, industrial processing, and bioprocessing. Food Science & Nutrition. 3. 65-73.
- Witthöft, C.M., Hefni, M.E., Moazzami, A. (2015). Folic acid supplement induces changes in 1-carbon metabolism of healthy women compared to food folate. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 67. 248-248.
- Röös, E., Karlsson, H., Witthöft, C.M., Sundberg, C. (2015). Evaluating the sustainability of diets-combining environmental and nutritional aspects. Environmental Science and Policy. 47. 157-166.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2014). Folate content in processed legume foods commonly consumed in Egypt. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. 57. 337-343.
- Büttner, B.E., Witthöft, C.M., Domellöf, M., Hernell, O., Öhlund, I. (2014). Effect of type of heat treatment of breastmilk on folate content and pattern.. Breastfeeding medicine : the official journal of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. 9. 86-91.
- Büttner, B.E., Öhrvik, V.E., Köhler, P., Witthöft, C.M., Rychlik, M. (2013). Quantification of isotope-labeled and unlabeled folates and folate catabolites in urine samples by stable isotope dilution assay.. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research. 83. 112-121.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2012). Effect of germination and subsequent oven-drying on folate content in different wheat and rye cultivars. Journal of Cereal Science. 56. 374-378.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2012). Enhancement of the folate content in Egyptian pita bread.. Food & Nutrition Research. 56.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2011). Increasing the folate content in Egyptian baladi bread using germinated wheat flour. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. 44. 706-712.
- Bouckaert, K.P., Slimani, N., Nicolas, G., Vignat, J., Wright, A.J.A., et al. (2011). Critical evaluation of folate data in European and international databases : recommendations for standardization in international nutritional studies.. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 55. 166-180.
- Büttner, B.E., Öhrvik, V.E., Witthöft, C.M., Rychlik, M. (2011). Quantification of isotope-labelled and unlabelled folates in plasma, ileostomy and food samples.. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 399. 429-439.
- Öhrvik, V.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2011). Human folate bioavailability. Nutrients. 3. 475-490.
- Öhrvik, V., Öhrvik, H., Tallkvist, J., Witthöft, C.M. (2010). Folates in bread : retention during bread-making and in vitro bioaccessibility. European Journal of Nutrition. 49. 365-372.
- Hefni, M.E., Öhrvik, V., Tabekha, M., Witthöft, C.M. (2010). Folate content in foods commonly consumed in Egypt. Food Chemistry. 121. 540-545.
- Öhrvik, V.E., Büttner, B.E., Rychlik, M., Lundin, E., Witthöft, C.M. (2010). Folate bioavailability from breads and a meal assessed with a human stable-isotope area under the curve and ileostomy model.. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 92. 532-538.
- Gurinović, M., Witthöft, C.M., Tepšić, J., Ranić, M., Hulshof, P.J.M., et al. (2010). Capacity development in food composition database management and nutritional research and education in Central and Eastern European, Middle Eastern and North African countries.. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 64 Suppl 3. S134-S138.
- Öhrvik, V.E., Olsson, J.C., Sundberg, B.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2009). Effect of 2 pieces of nutritional advice on folate status in Swedish women : a randomized controlled trial.. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 89. 1053-1058.
- Hollman, P.C.H., Witthöft, C.M., Busstra, M.C., Elburg, L., Hulshof, P. (2009). Training aspects in the use and production of food composition databases. The EuroFIR experience. Food Chemistry. 113. 842-845.
- Gurinovic, M.A., Oshaug, A., Finglas, P., Glibetic, M., Witthöft, C.M., et al. (2009). Capacity building in food composition data base in central and eastern Europe, Middle east and North Africa countries : Successful collaboration between EUROFIR and other networks. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 55. 565-565.
- van Guelpen, B., Hultdin, J., Johansson, I., Witthöft, C.M., Weinehall, L., et al. (2009). Plasma folate and total homocysteine levels are associated with the risk of myocardial infarction, independently of each other and of renal function. Journal of Internal Medicine. 266. 182-195.
- Pavlovic, M., Witthöft, C.M., Hollman, P., Hulshof, P.J.M., Glibetic, M., et al. (2009). Training and capacity building in central and eastern Europe through the EuroFIR and CEE networks. Food Chemistry. 113. 846-850.
- Augustin, K., Frank, J., Augustin, S., Langguth, P., Öhrvik, V., et al. (2009). Green tea extracts lower serum folates in rats at very high dietary concentrations only and do not affect plasma folates in a human pilot study.. Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 60. 103-108.
- Öhrvik, V., Witthöft, C.M. (2008). Orange juice is a good folate source in respect to folate content and stability during storage and simulated digestion. European Journal of Nutrition. 47. 92-98.
- Öhrvik, V., Witthöft, C.M. (2007). Can foods naturally high in folate improve folate status? : Results from an intervention trial. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 51. 204-204.
- Witthöft, C.M., Arkbåge, K., Johansson, M., Lundin, E., Berglund, G., et al. (2006). Folate absorption from folate-fortified and processed foods using a human ileostomy model.. British Journal of Nutrition. 95. 181-187.
- Verwei, M., Arkbåge, K., Groten, J.P., Witthöft, C.M., Vandenberg, H., et al. (2005). The effect of folatebinding proteins on bioavailability of folate from milk products. Trends in Food Science & Technology. 16. 307-310.
- van Guelpen, B., Hultdin, J., Johansson, I., Stegmayr, B., Hallmans, G., et al. (2005). Folate, vitamin B12, and risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke : a prospective, nested case-referent study of plasma concentrations and dietary intake.. Stroke. 36. 1426-1431.
- Jastrebova, J., Witthöft, C.M., Grahn, A., Svensson, U., Jagerstad, M. (2003). HPLC determination of folates in raw and processed beetroots. Food Chemistry. 80. 579-588.
- Arkbåge, K., Witthöft, C.M., Fonden, R., Jägerstad, M. (2003). Retention of vitamin B-12 during manufacture of six fermented dairy products using a validated radio protein-binding assay. International Dairy Journal. 13. 101-109.
- Strålsjö, L.M., Witthöft, C.M., Sjöholm, I.M., Jägerstad, M.I. (2003). Folate content in strawberries (Fragaria x ananassa) : effects of cultivar, ripeness, year of harvest, storage, and commercial processing.. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 51. 128-133.
- Arkbåge, K., Verwei, M., Havenaar, R., Witthöft, C.M. (2003). Bioaccessibility of folic acid and (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate decreases after the addition of folate-binding protein to yogurt as studied in a dynamic in vitro gastrointestinal model.. Journal of Nutrition. 133. 3678-3683.
- Havenaar, R., Verwei, M., Olivares, A.B., Arkbage, K., Ros, G., et al. (2003). Folate bioaccessibility from various food products studied in a dynamic in vitro gastrointestinal model.. Journal of Nutrition. 133. 3862S-3863S.
- Strålsjö, L., Åhlin, H., Witthöft, C.M., Jastrebova, J. (2003). Folate determination in Swedish berries by radioprotein-binding assay (RPBA) and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). European Food Research and Technology. 216. 264-269.
- Verwei, M., Arkbåge, K., Havenaar, R., van Den Berg, H., Schaafsma, G., et al. (2003). Folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in fortified milk are bioaccessible as determined in a dynamic in vitro gastrointestinal model.. Journal of Nutrition. 133. 2377-2383.
- Finglas, P.M., Witthöft, C.M., Vahteristo, L., Wright, A.J.A., Southon, S., et al. (2002). Use of an oral/intravenous dual-label stable-isotope protocol to determine folic acid bioavailability from fortified cereal grain foods in women.. Journal of Nutrition. 132.
- Johansson, M., Witthöft, C.M., Bruce, A., Jägerstad, M. (2002). Study of wheat breakfast rolls fortified with folic acid : The effect on folate status in women during a 3-month intervention. European Journal of Nutrition. 41. 279-286.
- Strålsjö, L., Arkbåge, K., Witthöft, C.M., Jägerstad, M. (2002). Evaluation of a radioprotein-binding assay (RPBA) for folate analysis in berries and milk. Food Chemistry. 79. 525-534.
- Forssén, K.M., Jägerstad, M.I., Wigertz, K., Witthöft, C.M. (2000). Folates and dairy products : a critical update.. Journal of the American College of Nutrition (Print). 19. 100S-110S.
- Finglas, P.M., Wigertz, K., Vahteristo, L., Witthöft, C.M., Southon, S., et al. (1999). Standardisation of HPLC techniques for the determination of naturally-occurring folates in food. Food Chemistry. 64. 245-255.
- Maunder, P., Finglas, P.M., Mallet, A.I., Mellon, F.A., Razzaque, M.A., et al. (1999). The synthesis of folic acid, multiply labelled with stable isotopes, for bio-availability studies in human nutrition. Journal of the Chemical Society-Perkin Transactions 1. 1311-1323.
- Vahteristo, L., Finglas, P.M., Witthöft, C.M., Wigertz, K., Seale, R., et al. (1996). Third EU MAT intercomparison study on food folate analysis using HPLC procedures. Food Chemistry. 57. 109-111.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Witthöft, C.M., Hefni, M.E. (2016). Folic acid and Folates : Physiology and Health Effects. The Encyclopedia of Food and Health. Elsevier. 724-730.
- Hefni, M.E., Witthöft, C.M. (2016). Egyptian Legumes and Cereal Foods : Traditional and New Methods for Processing. Mediterranean Foods : Composition and Processing. Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press. 102-120.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Witthöft, C.M. (2011). Vitamins : Folates. Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences. Academic Press. 678-686.
- Witthöft, C.M. (2011). Analytical Methods to Assess the Bioavailability of Water-Soluble Vitamins in Food : Exemplified by Folate. Fortified Foods with Vitamins : Analytical Concepts to Assure Better and Safer Products. Wiley-VCH Verlagsgesellschaft. 21-36.