Campus winter

Moving from Sweden

Just as when you travel to Sweden to work, there are some things you need to do before leaving Sweden.

Your bank

Make sure you stop all automatic withdrawals and close your bank account when you move from Sweden. Contact the bank office where you opened your account.

The Swedish Migration Agency

If you have permanent residence permit and plan to move back later, fill in the form Notification of desire to retain permanent residence permit and send it to the Swedish Migration Agency.

The Swedish Tax Agency

If you have a personal number but leave Sweden in order to live abroad for at least one year, you have to notify the Swedish Tax Agency about your move abroad. You also need to register your new foreign address at least one week before departure. Fill in, sign and send the form Notification moving abroad

If you have been employed, you must file a Swedish tax return concerning your final fiscal year in Sweden, see Moving from Sweden


If you have worked and paid tax in Sweden, you have earned a Swedish pension. You are entitled to the pension even if you live in another country. If you live abroad, applying to receive a Swedish pension depends on the country of residence. Read more at the Swedish Pensions Agency, SPV.