One way for companies to become successful is locating new markets to grow on and making business abroad. This master programme provides you with thorough knowledge on how to develop competitive, dynamic, and socially responsible strategies for international companies and strengthens the connection to research within the field.
International business strategy is based on courses in business administration with specialisation in international business strategy, which gives you extensive theoretical insights and an advanced practical understanding in order for you to be able to identify, apply, and critically evaluate theories on international business, marketing, and entrepreneurship from a strategic point of view. There is special focus on megatrends in society; for instance, globalisation and the ongoing development on emerging markets like those in the Baltic region, Russia, China, India, Latin America, and Africa. Another focus is internationalisation of companies that work business-to-buisness – both traditional industry companies and more fast-growing, entrepreneurial, smaller-sized companies.
During the course of the programme, you will work on international teams and develop your skills within intercultural communication and academic writing to shape a common platform for learning. The programme is interactive and research-based through its integration of the programme team’s research in courses, in the form of literature and illustrative examples. You will work with live cases where you analyse and work out solutions at international companies of different sizes, from multinational larger companies to small and medium-sized regional companies. Through this, you will get in-depth knowledge on what strategic challenges international companies are facing. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to specialise within a specific subject field through eligible courses or studies abroad. Through its deeply-rooted theoretical knowledge and reflective approach, the programme will prepare you for a business career as well as for an academic career.
The programme provides you with core competence for a career in international companies and organizations, in particular concerning international business strategy and marketing.
Master of Science or Master of Science in Business and Economics (120 credits) with specialisation in International Business Strategy (Main field of study: Business Administration).
The language of tuition is English. In this way, you will become prepared not only for a career in Sweden, but also for a career in international contexts. The programme admits students from all over the world, which means that you will get international and multicultural experience throughout the programme. Further opportunity for internationalisation is provided through the opportunity to study a semester abroad at one of our partner universities around the world.
A lot of one-and-one time with the professors
Jared came here from USA and describes International Business Strategy as a programme that walks you through internationalization of large and small companies while it offers a big variety of perspectives such as finance, marketing and sales. In the programme you get to work with real life scenarios with your classmates who are from all around the world. The international environment makes you learn almost as much from the classmates as from the course material.
Studying here feels like being part of a big family
Miguel C. was born in Peru but grew up in the US. His goal for the future is to make the world a better place through his leadership skills.
Read the full interview
- International Business Strategy programme prepares me well for the future. Since the world is becoming exponentially more and more globalised I believe there will be a large demand for people with this kind of education in the future. I chose to study in Sweden at Linnaeus University as I was eager to learn and study a new culture, also - to gain experience and Sweden seemed nice. Linnaeus University had exactly the programme I was looking for, and Kalmar really appealed to me, it is a super nice and cool city.
What's your impression of Sweden?
- I must say that I think both the country and the Swedes are awesome. It is a friendly country rich in culture. I really enjoy the tradition of Swedish 'fika' (coffee break in Swedish)!
What are your career plans?
- The main goals in my life are to be a good father, a good husband and to become a leader in the public or private sector in Peru, and in that way be able to help my people.
What's the best thing with being a student at Linnaeus University?
- It feels like being part of a big family. The university puts a lot of effort into integrating all different cultures and making the international students feel at home.
I have grown both personally and professionally
Alex journey with Linnaeus University started several years ago when he read the big sign that says “Människor växer här'' at Kalmar harbour, when he was a student on Linnaeus University Summer Academy. In the future, he wants to work as a researcher.
Read the interview
- After that experience, I decided to first study International Sales and Marketing, and then to attain a master’s degree in International Business Strategy. I want to prepare for a career as a researcher in academia and a practitioner in the international business world.
Alex appreciates the atmosphere at Linnaeus University and the fact that teachers and students are so engaged in their subjects.
- Studying at Linnaeus University is like parachuting into a land of inspiration, creativity, and opportunities. Students are focusing on their future rather than the next assignment. Being a student at Linnaeus University means having access to the beautiful minds of researchers who have a lot to give. The possibility to learn in such a supportive and encouraging environment paved the way for me to achieve personal and professional growth.
He is happy with his choice of education, and the fact that the programme encourages students to take responsibility for their studies, but he admits that he has to work hard.
- This approach allowed me to develop the skills required to become an independent, postgraduate knowledge seeker. Furthermore, having the opportunity to practice also let me enjoy the thinking and writing process. However, I can truthfully argue that in order to succeed on the programme you have to put in a lot of working hours.
Living in Kalmar
Alex likes the new university facilities, where he usually studies during the day, and also what the city has to offer.
- All the university facilities cluster together in the middle of the city, next to the Baltic Sea. It’s an alluring work environment. Besides the university, living in Kalmar is a unique experience. Kalmar is history, art, and culture. It’s a peaceful calm place, yet it is full of life. Most days, when I am done working, I go out for a coffee in the city. After that, I focus on my hobbies: BBC radio, classical music, Jazz FM, and cooking.
After graduation, Alex wants to become a researcher and a business practitioner, focusing on the international market.
- I aim to proceed with a lifelong career as a researcher; I have a huge interest in teaching and research within the area of international business and marketing. My journey with Linnaeus University started with a summer course, and today Linnaeus University, and Kalmar are part of my extended self. I will continue to be a business practitioner by running my businesses in Kalmar, with main focus on the international market.
In Kalmar, Linnaeus University is located in the city centre. Universitetskajen is entirely newly-built and located just next to the sea. Here you become part of a creative knowledge environment.
The city centre is also where most students live. Everything is available within a ten-minute bicycle ride, regardless of whether you want to take a swim in the sea, study, do some shopping, or work out. Historical buildings and cobblestone streets give charm to the city. When it is sunny, the area next to Kalmar Castle’s moat is filled with studying and sunbathing students. Student life is a natural part of Kalmar. This is where your dream of the future begins!