This is a two-year programme at the second level with English as its main field of study. You can choose to specialise in linguistics or literature, or a combination of these.
Several of the courses in the programme combine linguistics and literature. The aim is for you to develop knowledge of relevant, modern linguistic and literary theories and methods, primarily within the fields included in the research centres at the faculty, such as the postcolonial and intermedial research centres, as well as multicultural communication and text mining in Data Intensive Digital Humanities. After the first semester, you can choose courses in either linguistics or literature, or combine both fields. During the third semester, you have the opportunity to study abroad at one on Linnaeus University’s partner universities, or to conduct an internship abroad. If you choose not to go abroad, you will study in Sweden with international students in the programme. You write your Master’s thesis in the fourth semester.
You develop broad and in-depth knowledge in one of the specialisations as well as an interdisciplinary field combining these. The programme provides a solid foundation for doctoral studies and prepares you for work in publishing, culture, education, communication, media and administration.
Master of Arts (120 credits) with specialization in linguistics, Main field of study: English or Master of Arts (120 credits) with specialization in literary studies, Main field of study: English or Master of Arts (120 credits) with specialization in linguistics and literary studies, Main field of study:English
The application process consists of two steps.
1. First you need to apply to the programme online at www.universityadmissions.se - Deadline 15 January 2020.
2. Secondly, you need to submit a letter of intent - Deadline 3 February 2020.
Letter of intent
Please write a letter of intent that on one A4 page describes your interest in the programme.
The letter will be evaluated in terms of:
- Your previous and intended engagement with the field you are interested in
- Your proficiency in expressing yourself in English
Submit your letter on your pages on www.universityadmissions.se
A unique mix of language and literature
- Niklas Salmose Senior lecturer
- Jukka Tyrkkö Professor
- Mike Classon Frangos Senior lecturer
- Fredrik Heinat Associate Professor
- Johan Höglund Professor
- Anne Holm Senior lecturer
- Charlotte Hommerberg Senior lecturer
- Magnus Levin Associate Professor
- Ibolya Maricic Senior lecturer
- Aki Siegel Senior lecturer
- Per Sivefors Associate Professor
- Jenny Ström Herold Senior lecturer
- Daniel Sundberg Doctoral student
More information about the programme
Roughly 15 minutes with a bike from the city centre, you will find Linnaeus University’s campus. It is like a small society with the university, student accommodation, and student life. Here you become part of a creative knowledge environment.
What will you come across on an excursion in Växjö – the city of contrasts? You will find good restaurants, a celebrated hockey team, and cozy cafés where you can enjoy a latte with lingonberry flavour. In Växjö, beautiful nature is always just around the corner; the city is surrounded by lakes and forests. Students like the combination of the city centre and the active student life on campus. Your dream of the future starts here!