International Society for Intermedial Studies was founded in 1996. Intermedial studies focuses on interrelationships between art forms and media. These relations are viewed in a general cultural context and apply to art forms in the broadest sense. The aim of the Society is to promote intermedial research and postgraduate education by means of conferences, seminars and projects.
Anyone involved in intermedial research may become a member. Membership in the society is free of charges and involves no obligations. You become a member by joining our e-mail list. By doing so you will also get information about upcoming events.
We have members worldwide and as a member, you receive information regarding intermedial conferences and other activities of interest. And please, feel free to contact us with any questions or inquiries.
Lars Elleström, Linnaeus University (chair)
Arild Fetveit, Copenhagen University
Anne Gjelsvik, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Lena Hopsch, Chalmers University of Technology
Chiel Kattenbelt, Utrecht University
Liliane Louvel, Poitiers University
Ágnes Pethö, Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania
Birgitte Stougaard Pedersen, Aarhus University
Siglind Bruhn, Ann Arbor
Claus Clüver, Bloomington
Nils Holger Petersen, Copenhagen
Irina Rajewsky, Berlin
Magdalena Wasilewska-Chmura, Krakow
Hangzhou Normal University, China, the autumn of 2018
- Authentic Artifice 3rd International Colloquium – International Society for Intermedial Studies, University of Montreal, Canada, May 18—20, 2017
- Play/Perform/Participate - Intermedial Intersections, Utrecht, Netherlands, 16-18 April, 2015
- Rethinking Intermediality in the Digital Age, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 24-26 October 2013
- Media Acts, Trondheim 26-28 October 2011.
- Aesthetics and Intermediality: Transmedial Concepts and Phenomena, Aarhus 22-24 October 2009
- Imagine Media! Media Borders and Intermediality, Växjö 25-28 October 2007
- Bodies-Arts-Crossroads: The Body and Intermediality, Växjö 27- 30 October 2005
- Kunstens rytmer i tid og rom, Trondheim 2–5 Oktober 2003
- Ord, ton och bild i intermedialt perspektiv, Greifswald 7- 8 May 2001
- Teatralitet och konstarternas interrelationer, Göteborg 13-15 November 1998
- Interarts Studies in Theory and Practice, Oslo 24-27 April 1997
- Kunstens tid, Köpenhamn 25-28 April 1996
- Interart Studies: New Perspectives, Lund May 1995
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Intermedial Studies
Linnæus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies was established in 2015 as a centre of excellence at Linnæus University, Sweden.
Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies (IMS) is an interdisciplinary research centre that studies the relationships and interactions between media.
IMS is located at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and chiefly concerns the disciplines of literature, media and communication, linguistics, music, film and visual studies. The research environment principally explores four broad dimensions of intermediality and multimodality: narration, meaning, learning and interaction.
The Centre is now announcing an international postdoctoral position, financed by the Crafoord Foundation, which is open for scholars with a focus on intermedial and multimodal studies and with a disciplinary background related to any of the faculty’s departments.
Field of subject for the position: Intermedial and multimodal studies
Extent and period: Two years full-time, 2018–2019
Association of Adaptation Studies
Bremen Conferences on Multimodality
Center for Research on Intermediality
Centre for the Study of Visual and Literary Cultures in France
The Centre for Intermediality in Performance
Centre for Intermediality Studies in Graz (CIMIG)
Centre for Literary and Intercultural Studies
Centre for Multimodal Research
Comparative Arts Studies, Indiana University
Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies
Iconicity in Language and Literature
Innsbruck Media Studies
The International Association for Word and Music Studies
Intermediality in Theatre and Performance
Intermediality and Performance
Intermídia: Estudos sobre a Intermidialidade
International Association of Word and Image Studies, IAWIS
International Association for Word and Music Studies, WMA
Moving Images Research Group
Scottish Word and Image Group, SWIG
Studies on Intermediality and Intercultural Mediation