My teaching is centred around three different parts. The most prominent is teaching in the two courses, 1FP003 and 1FL006. Both are about mathematics teaching in preschool. In addition to this specialization, I am responsible for 1MD162, a course given in English and aimed at primary school teachers, years 4-6. The participants in this course are usually from large parts of the world. I also supervise bachelor degree projects at lower and upper primary teacher education.
As part of "The Makings of a Mathematics Teacher," I investigate how mathematics teachers' professional identities develop before they graduate. I try to understand how teacher students' involvement in their teacher education programs or in contexts in or outside their schools relates to changes in their professional narratives about themselves. Since 2019, my interest has also increased related to the teacher educators teaching and what teacher students perceive as important in specific teaching situations. This part of my research collaborates with Tracy Helliwell at the University of Bristol.
I participate in two different research contexts concerning preschool. The first is PiF, problem-solving in the preschool class. The second is an interdisciplinary group that looks at Design for/in learning based on digital tools using the social semiotic perspective of multimodality.
During CERME 12, Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education 2022, I was the group leader for TWG 18a, which dealt with research on teacher education. I will also be part of the group responsible for professional development and teacher education, TWG 18, during Cerme 13, 2023.
I am a member of the MAVI - Board (Mathematical views), https://www.mathematical-views.org/, 2021 - 2024. MAVI is a conference in mathematics education that every year, in Sep 2023 in Vercelli, Italy, meets up and presents research that arises through research about mathematical beliefs and identity-related research.
As program council leader for the Preschool Teacher Degrees, I lead the work that will especially monitor that the educational elements together contribute to the students being given the conditions to achieve degree goals and general goals for higher education, i.e. that progression in the program studies is ensured.
Project manager: Develop pilot courses hybrid in preschool teacher education between 2020-2022. The project is funded by RUL. The group is expected to complete and report back during the spring semester of 2022.
Between 2023 - 2025, with Marina Wernholm and Emelie Patron, I will run the network "Digital tools as part of younger children's life world and learning". At all network meetings, the exchange of experience will be a permanent feature. Other initiatives may, for example, but not exclusively, involve testing new digital tools within both teacher education and professional activities, the inclusion of experiences from teacher education into professional activities and vice versa, as well as initiatives for practical research of both new and ongoing digital elements within all activities.
My research groups
Digital Tools and Digital Competence in Preschool and School Teaching We conduct research on what happens and what becomes possible when digital tools are used in preschool-class and school teaching,…
Mathematics Education In the Mathematics Education research group we conduct both theoretical and applied research. The group participates in national and international collaboration with researchers…
My ongoing research projects
Project: Becoming a mathematics teacher (BeMT): The role of teacher education In this project, the aim is to explore the role of mathematics teacher education and the mathematics teacher educator in…
Project: Problem solving as starting point for mathematics in preschool class The aim of this project is to investigate if and how problem solving can be a starting point for the teaching of…
Project: The Makings of a Mathematics Teacher In this project, we investigate the development of mathematics teachers' professional identities before and in the first few years after their graduation.
My completed research projects
Article in journal (Refereed)
Ebbelind, A. (2023). A functional view on language : a methodology for mathematics education to study shifts in prospective teachers’ discursive patterns. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. 54 (8). 1731-1745.
Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Patron, E. (2023). Young Pupils’ Joint Creation of Multimodal Fairy Tales Using Analogue and Digital Resources. Education Sciences. 13 (6).
Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Danielsson, K., Patron, E., Wernholm, M. (2023). Förskoleklasselever utforskar kombinatorik genom digitala animeringar. Utbildning och Lärande / Education and Learning. 17 (4). 87-104.
Ebbelind, A., Segerby, C. (2015). Systemic functional linguistics as a methodological tool in mathematics education research. Nordisk matematikkdidaktikk. 20 (1). 33-54.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Patron, E., Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Palmér, H., Ebbelind, A. (2023). An exploration of how multimodal teaching and the creation of digital animations contribute to six-year-olds' meaning-making in chemistry. .
- Danielsson, K., Wernholm, M., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Patron, E. (2023). Pupils creating digital animations in the early years of schooling. Designing Futures the 11th international conference on multimodality : Book of abstracts London Conference. 76-77.
- Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Patron, E. (2023). Pupils creating digital animations in the early years of schooling. .
- Fauskanger, J., Ebbelind, A., Friesen, M., Samková, L., Helliwell, T., et al. (2022). International perspectives on mathematics teacher education and professional development : Current and emerging research. Proceedings of the Twelfth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME12).
- Ebbelind, A., Helliwell, T. (2022). What you teach is what you get? : Exploring the experiences of prospective mathematics teachers during a teacher education programme. Proceedings of the Twelfth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education : (CERME12), Feb 2022, Bozen-Bolzano, Italy.
- Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Danielsson, K., Patron, E., Wernholm, M. (2022). Six-year-olds create digital animations to reinforce mathematical problem solving. Book of Abstracts ‘Cultures of play: Actors, Affordances and Arenas’ Glasgow, Scotland 23rd – 26th August 2022.
- Ebbelind, A., Helliwell, T. (2022). Becoming a mathematics teacher (BeMT) : The role of teacher education. Conference on teachers’professional identitiesLinnaeus University : Växjö, 9-10 November 2022. 12-13.
- Ebbelind, A. (2019). Understanding student teachers’ professional development by looking beyond mathematics teacher education.. Proceedings of the Eleventh Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education..
- Ebbelind, A. (2015). We think so, me and my mother : Considering external participation inside teacher education. Views and Beliefs in Mathematics Education : Results of the 19th MAVI Conference. 109-120.
- Ebbelind, A. (2015). Systemic functional Linguistics as methodological tool when researching Patterns of Participation. Proceedings of the Ninth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education : CERME 9 - Ninth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education, Feb 2015, Prague, Czech Republic. 3185-3191.
- Palmér, H., Ebbelind, A. (2013). What is possible to learn? : Using ipads in teaching mathematics in preschool. Proceedings of the 37th Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. : Mathematics learning across the life span.. 425-432.
- Ebbelind, A. (2013). Disentangle a Student Teacher's Participation during Teacher Education. Eighth Congress of European Research in Mathematics Education (CERME).
- Ebbelind, A. (2012). Analysing the Discourse of Teacher Training. .
- Ebbelind, A., Roos, H., Nilsson, P. (2012). Learning fractions : transformations between representations from a social semiotic perspective of multimodality. Proceedings of Norma 11 : The Sixth Nordic Conference on Mathematics Education. 217-226.
- Ebbelind, A., Helliwell, T. Examining the interpersonal aspects of a mathematics teacher education lecture. Accepted proceeding/In press 27th Conference of Mathematical Views - University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany.
- Ebbelind, A., Helliwell, T. Exploring prospective teachers´ initial views on the teaching and learning of mathematics : A narrative approach. Accepted proceeding/In press 28th Conference of Mathematical Views, MAVI28, Gijon, Spain, September 20 - 23, 2022..
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Ebbelind, A., Assarsson, P. (2022). Matematik i förskolan/förskoleklass med musik som metod. Presenterad på Matematikbiennalen, torsdag 31 mars 2022.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Ebbelind, A. (2020). Becoming recognised as mathematically proficient : The role of a primary school teacher education programme. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 226.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Christiansen, I.M., De Ron, A., Ebbelind, A., Engström, S., Frisk, S., et al. (2021). The crosscurrents of Swedish mathematics teacher education. International perspectives on mathematics teacher education. Waxhaw, NC, USA, Information Age Publishing. 9-48.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Ebbelind, A., Kjällander, S., Palmér, H. (2021). Matematik, digitalisering och programmering i förskolan. Programmering i skolmatematiken : möjligheter och utmaningar. Lund, Studentlitteratur AB. 73-87.
Chapter in book (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Patron, E., Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H. (2023). Meningsskapande i kemi genom multimodal undervisning. Att undervisa barn i skolstartsålder. Malmö, Gleerups Utbildning AB. 129-142.
- Palmér, H., Ebbelind, A. (2012). Matematiklärande. Förskoleklassens Didaktik : Möjligheter och Utmaningar. Stockholm, Natur och kultur. 134-184.
Book (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H. (2016). Förskoleklassens Metodik: Upptäck och utforska matematik. Stockholm, Natur och kultur.
- Löfgren, B., Ebbelind, A. (2010). Mattemusik : En metod för ämnesintegrerat lärande. Stockholm, Sveriges utbildningsradio UR.
Other (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H. (2019). Tal och mönster. Skolverket.
Denna text handlar om undervisning och lärande av naturliga tal och mönster. Textens första del tar utgångspunkt i begreppet tal och vad en god begreppsförståelse för tal kan innebära för elever i förskoleklass. Därefter följer en del om mönster – vad är ett mönster i matematisk mening och vad kan det innebära för elever i förskoleklass att utforska och beskriva mönster?.