A senior lecturer in organization and leadership.
I mainly teach in courses in organization, leadership and Human Resource Management (HRM).
My research is focused on issues around organizing practices and Human Resource Management in knowledge intensive organizations. Some topics of my previous research are:
- Professional identity in mergers between knowledge intensive firms
- HR-processes in Professional Service Firms and
- The role and work of communication consultants in a mediatized business world
- Innovation work in service firms
In the ongoing research project Dressing for success I am currently studying the embodiment of knowledge intensive service work, for example in terms of the role of dress codes. This project is funded by the Ragnar Söderberg Foundation.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Schilling, A., Werr, A., Gand, S., Sardas, J. (2012). Understanding professionals' reactions to strategic change : the role of threatened professional identities. Service Industries Journal. 32. 1229-1245.
- Crevani, L., Palm, K., Schilling, A. (2011). Innovation management in service firms : a research agenda. Service Business : An International Journal. 5. 177-193.
- Löwstedt, J., Schilling, A., Tomicic, M., Werr, A. (2003). Managing differences in post-merger integration : the case of a professional service firm. Nordiske organisasjonsstudier. 5. 11-36.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Schilling, A. (2016). Dress codes in professional work : contesting femininity and professionalism on a blog for female professionals. Presented at the 32nd EGOS Colloquium, Napels, Italy, July 7-9, 2016.
- Schilling, A. (2016). A wolf in sheep's clothing : the absence of dress in our understanding of organizing. Presented at SCOS 2016 (The standing conference of organisational symbolism), Uppsala, Sweden, July 11-14, 2016.
- Schilling, A. (2014). Dressing for competence : Notes on the body practices of knowledge workers. .
- Schilling, A. (2013). Becoming a business lawyer : a case study of the recruitment practices at a high status business law firm in Sweden. Presented at the 22nd Nordic Academy of Management Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland, August 21-23, 2013.
- Schilling, A. (2012). Communication consultants : the establishment of a new professional role identity. Presented at the 28th EGOS Colloquium 2012, Helsinki, Finland, July 5-7, 2012.
- Schilling, A., Werr, A. (2012). "It's who you are, not what you know" : conceptualizations of the ideal professional in four professional service contexts. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2012: The Informal Economy, Boston, USA, August 3-7, 2012.
- Schilling, A., Löwstedt, J., Werr, A. (2011). Keeping track of talents : HRM related use of ICT in Professional Service Firms. Paper presented at the Nordic Academy of Management (NFF) conference, Stockholm, Sweden, August 22-24, 2011.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Werr, A., Schilling, A. (2016). Career factory and expert house : two development environments for experts. The organization of the expert society. New York, Routledge. 171-184.
- Schilling, A. (2016). Expressions of expertise. The organization of the expert society. New York, Routledge. 156-170.
- Schilling, A., Werr, A. (2013). What is professional competence? : A study if assessment criteria in eight professional service sectors. Exploring the professional identity of management consultants. Charlotte, Information Age Publishing. 17-49.
- Schilling, A. (2012). Expertis och dess uttryck i fyra identiteter. Expertsamhällets organisering : okunskapens triumf?. Lund, Studentlitteratur AB. 183-202.
- Werr, A., Schilling, A. (2012). Karriärfabrik och experthus - två utvecklingsmiljöer för experter. Expertsamhällets organisering : Okunskapens triumf?. Lund, Studentlitteratur AB. 215-232.
- Werr, A., Schilling, A. (2011). "Talent factories" and "expert houses" : patterns of human resource practices in professional service firms. The future of knowledge-intensive service work : theory and practice of managing human and organisational resources. Marburg, Metropolis Verlag für Ökonomie, Gesellscahft und Politik GmbH. 127-150.
- Schilling, A., Strannegård, L. (2010). Osynliga händer och synligt resultat : om kommunikationskonsulters arbete. Företag och medier. Malmö, Liber. 192-208.
Report (Other academic)
- Schilling, A. (2011). Competences supporting service innovation : a literature review. Stockholm, Vinnova.
- Schilling, A., Werr, A. (2009). Managing and organizing for innovation in service firms : A literature review with annotated bibliography. Stockholm, Vinnova. 90.