Arianit Kurti, PhD, Associate Professor works at the Department of Computer Science at Linnaeus University (LNU) in Sweden. He also holds the title of Docent in Computer Science awarded by South East European University (Macedonia).
Dr. Kurti has a strong applied research interest on interactive and visual computing and its applicability across different application domains. The guiding research challenge that he has been investigated is related to the finding the most optimal approaches and methods for reaching sustainable digitalization using interactive and visual computing. Key contributions of his work among others include: a) research collaboration with Siemens for establishing a digital twin for their gas turbines for optimizing the design process of new turbines, b) applying user perspective rendering for improving visibility and ergonomic issues for forklifts drivers in cooperation with Toyota Material Handling, c) applied research cooperation with other societal actors such as Linköping University Hospital and Sectra focusing on the use of interactive and visual computing approaches for increasing the efficiency of the tissue sample preparation in a digital pathology process.
Currently Dr. Kurti is also a Senior Researcher affiliated with RISE Research Institutes of Sweden in Norrköping.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ahmedi, F., Ahmedi, L., O'flynn, B., Kurti, A., Tahirsylaj, S., et al. (2018). InWaterSense : An Intelligent Wireless Sensor Network for Monitoring Surface Water Quality to a River in Kosovo. International Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Information Systems. 9. 39-61.
- Chow, J.A., Törnros, M.E., Waltersson, M., Richard, H., Kusoffsky, M., et al. (2017). A design study investigating augmented reality and photograph annotation in a digitalized grossing workstation. Journal of Pathology Informatics. 8.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Johansson, E., Müller, M. (2014). Mobile Inquiry Learning in Sweden : Development Insights on Interoperability, Extensibility and Sustainability of the LETS GO Software System. Educational Technology & Society. 17. 43-57.
- Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M. (2008). Bridging Outdoors and Indoors Educational Activities in Schools with the Support of Mobile and Positioning Technologies. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organization: Special Issue on Current Mobile Learning Technologies and Applications. 2. 166-186.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Memeti, S., Pllana, S., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Jusufi, I. (2019). IoTutor : How Cognitive Computing Can Be Applied to Internet of Things Education. . 1-16.
- Alsouda, Y., Pllana, S., Kurti, A. (2019). IoT-based Urban Noise Identification Using Machine Learning : Performance of SVM, KNN, Bagging, and Random Forest. Proceedings of the International Conference on Omni-Layer Intelligent Systems (COINS '19). 62-67.
- Alsouda, Y., Pllana, S., Kurti, A. (2018). A Machine Learning Driven IoT Solution for Noise Classification in Smart Cities. Machine Learning Driven Technologies and Architectures for Intelligent Internet of Things (ML-IoT), August 28, 2018, Prague, Czech Republic. 1-6.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A. (2018). Integrating MOOCs in Regular Higher Education : Challenges and Opportunities from a Scandinavian Perspective. Learning and Collaboration Technologies : Design, Development and Technological Innovation. LCT 2018. 193-204.
- Dalipi, F., Idrizi, F., Kurti, A. (2017). Exploring the Impact of Social Learning Networks in M-Learning : a Case Study in a University Environment. Learning and Collaboration Technologies Novel Learning Ecosystems : 4th International Conference, LCT 2017, Held as Part of HCI International 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9-14, 2017, Proceedings, Part I. 189-198.
- Dalipi, F., Kurti, A., Zdravkova, K., Ahmedi, L. (2017). Rethinking the conventional learning paradigm towards MOOC based flipped classroom learning. 16th International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET), 10-12 June, 2017, Ohrid, Macedonia.
- Chow, J., Kusoffsky, M., Kurti, A. (2016). From Abstract to Concrete : Telling Math Stories with Cards. Proceedings of the 14th Participatory Design Conference : Short Papers, Interactive Exhibitions, Workshops - Volume 2. 90-91.
- Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Vogel, B., Raufi, B. (2016). Augmenting requirements gathering for people with special needs using IoT : A position paper. CHASE '16 : Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering. 48-51.
- Bytyçi, E., Ahmedi, L., Kurti, A. (2016). Association Rule Mining with Context Ontologies : An Application to Mobile Sensing of Water Quality. Metadata and Semantics Research : 10th International Conference, MTSR 2016, Göttingen, Germany, November 22-25, 2016, Proceedings. 67-78.
- Dika, E., Kurti, A. (2015). Use of a Smart TV as a Platform for Social Engagement for Senior Citizens. 7th ICT innovations Conference 2015 : Web proceedings. 96-105.
- Weyns, D., Caporuscio, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A. (2015). Design for Sustainability = Runtime Adaptation U Evolution. Proceedings of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops. 62.
- Vogel, B., Kilamo, T., Kurti, A. (2015). Teaching Distributed Agile Development to Software Professionals : A Flexible Approach. Proceedings of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops (ECSA 2015). 31.
- Ferati, M., Raufi, B., Kurti, A., Vogel, B. (2014). Accessibility Requirements for Blind and Visually Impaired in a Regional Context : An Exploratory Study. 2014 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Usability and Accessibility focused Requirements Engineering (UsARE). 13-16.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Mikkonen, T., Milrad, M. (2014). Towards an Open Architecture Model for Web and Mobile Software : Characteristics and Validity Properties. 2014 IEEE 38th Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC). 476-485.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Mikkonen, T., Milrad, M. (2014). From Architectural Requirements towards an Open Architecture for Web and Mobile Societal Applications. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Inclusive Web Programming - Programming on the Web with Open Data for Societal Applications. 20-23.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Mikkonen, T. (2012). Architectural Concepts : Evolution of a Software System across Design and Implementation Stages in Dynamically Changing Environments. Proceedings - International Computer Software and Applications Conference. 144-151.
- Vogel, B., Pettersson, O., Kurti, A., Huck, A. (2012). Utilizing Gesture Based Interaction for Supporting Collaborative Explorations of Visualizations in TEL. Proceedings 2012 17th IEEE International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technology in Education, WMUTE 2012. 177-181.
- Kohen-Vacs, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Ronen, M. (2012). Systems integration challenges for supporting cross context collaborative pedagogical scenarios. Collaboration and Technology : 18th International Conference, CRIWG 2012 Raesfeld, Germany, September 16-19, 2012 Proceedings. 184-191.
- Kohen-Vacs, D., Ronen, M., Bar-Ness, O., Milrad, M., Kurti, A. (2012). Integrating Collaborative and Mobile Technologies for Fostering Learning about Negotiation Styles. Proceedings of the 20th international conference on computers in education ICCE 2012. 403-407.
- Fonseca, D., Zabulis, X., Ramzan, N., Kurti, A., Pileggi, S.F., et al. (2012). 1st international ACM workshop on user experience in e-learning and augmented technologies in education. MM'12 Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Multimedia. 1519-1520.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Kerren, A. (2011). An Interactive Web-based Visualization Tool in Action : User Testing and Usability Aspects. Proceedings 11th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology. 403-408.
- Milrad, M., Kohen-Vacs, D., Vogel, B., Ronen, M., Kurti, A. (2011). An Integrated Approach for the Enactment of Collaborative Pedagogical ScriptsUsing Mobile Technologies. CSCL2011 Conference Proceedings : Volume II, Short Papers & Posters. 681-685.
- Vogel, B., Spikol, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2010). Integrating Mobile, Web and Sensory Technologies to Support Inquiry-Based Science Learning. IEEE WMUTE (International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies in Education). 65-72.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2010). Enhancing Emerging Learning Objects with Contextual Metadata Using the Linked Data Approach. 2010 6th IEEE International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies in Education (WMUTE). 50-56.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A. (2009). Using contextual metadata for enhanced reusability of mobile media objects. Sharing Experiences with Social Mobile Media : Proceedings of the International Workshop in conjunction with MobileHCI 2009. 72-79.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2009). A Linked Data Approach for Enriching Emerging Learning Objects with Contextual Metadata. Future Learning Landscapes : Towards the Convergence of Pervasive and Contextual computing, Global Social Media and Semantic Web in Technology Enhanced Learning.
- Kurti, A. (2008). Context Modeling to Support the Design of Mobile Learning. The 5th International Conference on Soft Computing as Transdisciplinary Science and Technology. 536-541.
- Wingkvist, A., Kurti, A. (2008). Context Thinking. Proceedings of 31th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia. 15.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Spikol, D. (2007). Designing Innovative Learning Activities Using Ubiquitous Computing. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies. 386-390.
- Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M., Martin, S., Pettersson, O. (2007). Exploring How Pervasive Technologies Can Support Situated Learning. Proceedings of “Pervasive Learning 2007”, An International Workshop on Pervasive Learning, in conjunction with Pervasive 2007, May 13th, 2007, Toronto, Canada. 19-26.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Alserin, F., Gustafsson, J. (2006). Designing and Implementing Ubiquitous Learning Activities Supported by Mobile and Positioning Technologies. Proceedings of the IASTED CATE 2006 Conference. 193-199.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Alserin, F. (2006). Contextual Design of Mobile Services to Support Knowledge Workers in Library Settings.. Sixth IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT'06). 375-377.
- Flensburg, P., Kurti, A. (2006). Social Informatics in future?. Social Informatics : An Information Society for All? : In Remembrance of Rob Kling (IFIP International Federation for Information Processing). 87-101.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ferati, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Raufi, B., Astals, D.S. (2016). Web Accessibility for Visually Impaired People : Requirements and Design Issues. Usability- and Accessibility-Focused Requirements Engineering : First International Workshop, UsARE 2012, Held in Conjunction with ICSE 2012, Zurich, Switzerland, June 4, 2012 and Second International Workshop, UsARE 2014, Held in Conjunction with RE 2014, Karlskrona, Sweden, August 25, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. Cham, Springer. 79-96.
- Amatya, S., Kurti, A. (2013). Cross-Platform Mobile Development : Challenges and Opportunities. ICT Innovations 2013 : ICT Innovations and Education. Springer. 219-229.
- Pea, R., Milrad, M., Maldonado, H., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., et al. (2011). Learning and Technological Designs for Mobile Science Inquiry Collaboratories. Orchestrating Inquiry Learning. London, Uniteed Kingdom, Routledge. 105-127.
- Kaltofen, S., Milrad, M., Kurti, A. (2010). A Cross-Platform Software System to Create and Deploy Mobile Mashups.. Web Engineering : 10th International Conference, ICWE 2010, Vienna Austria, July 5-9, 2010.. Berlin, Springer. 518-521.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M. (2010). Exploring the benefits of open standard initiatives for supporting inquiry-based science learning. Sustaining TEL: From Innovation to Learning and Practice : 5th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2010, Barcelona, Spain, September 28 - October 1, 2010. Proceedings. Berlin/Heidelberg, Springer. 596-601.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Kurti, A., Dalipi, F. (2017). Bridging the Gap between Academia and Industry : Lessons Learned from a Graduate IT Professional Development Program. Abstract Book : 2nd Annual International Conference on Engineering Education & Teaching, 5-8 June 2017, Athens, Greece. 27-27.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Spikol, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2008). Collaboration in Context as a Framework for Designing Innovative Mobile Learning Activities. Innovative Mobile Learning: Techniques and Technologies. Information Science Reference, IGI Global, Hershey. 172-196.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Kurti, A. (2009). Exploring the multiple dimensions of context: Implications for the design and development of innovative technology-enhanced learning environments. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Växjö University Press. 200.
Conference paper (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M., Flensburg, P. (2006). Increasing the value of information: Putting content in context: is that enough?. Proceedings of Information System Research Seminar, IRIS 29.