Arianit Kurti, PhD, Associate Professor works at the Department of Computer Science at Linnaeus University (LNU) in Sweden. He also holds the title of Docent in Computer Science awarded by South East European University (Macedonia).
Dr. Kurti has a strong applied research interest on interactive and visual computing and its applicability across different application domains. The guiding research challenge that he has been investigated is related to the finding the most optimal approaches and methods for reaching sustainable digitalization using interactive and visual computing. Key contributions of his work among others include: a) research collaboration with Siemens for establishing a digital twin for their gas turbines for optimizing the design process of new turbines, b) applying user perspective rendering for improving visibility and ergonomic issues for forklifts drivers in cooperation with Toyota Material Handling, c) applied research cooperation with other societal actors such as Linköping University Hospital and Sectra focusing on the use of interactive and visual computing approaches for increasing the efficiency of the tissue sample preparation in a digital pathology process.
Currently Dr. Kurti is Head of Informatics Department and also a Senior Researcher affiliated with RISE Research Institutes of Sweden in Norrköping.
My research groups
Interaction Design Research Group Interaction Design Research Group is an interdisciplinary team, addressing current societal and industrial challenges using ICT solutions through applied research…
Linnaeus University Systems Community (LNU-STC) Linnaeus University Systems Community emphasizes Systems Thinking in research, education and practice. The community is part of the Linnaeus Knowledge…
My ongoing research projects
Project: Edutain The projects aim at incorporating emergent technologies such as Augmented Reality (AR) in schools to achieve sustainable learning experience. Also, this project will enable…
Project: Forest 4.0 The objective of the Forest 4.0 project is to establish a Centre of Excellence (CoE) to transform the forest environment monitoring, data acquisition, and analysis. The aim is to…
Project: Generation Z enters STEM – diversity for a sustainable future The interest of women to study and work within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) is globally quite low. In…
Project: International visiting professor of Systems Thinking for Sustainability This project features a two-year position as visiting professor of systems thinking for sustainability. It aims at…
Project: Next Generation of Trustworthy Agri-Data Management - EnTrust EnTrust brings together 16 leading research institutions and enterprise from 5 different countries across Europe to establish a…
Project: Recasting best practices of European universities (RAPID) RAPID aims to strengthen online education in Pakistan by replicating the best practices in distance learning during pandemic at…
Project: STEFORA – STEM For ALL The aim of this EU-funded project is to to decrease inequality in STEM Education.
Project: The development and implementation of PhD curricula in ICT for Kosovo (DI-PHDICTKES) Kosovo’s lack of an ICT PhD program limits involvement on the international stage in academic and industry…
Project: Transforming the Kosovo and Albanian Education System by Introducing DigItal Technology in Teacher Education (IGNITE) An EU project that will analyse the learning path of IT related subjects…
My completed research projects
Project: Software Technology for Self-Adaptive Systems The purpose of this project is to increase the engineering efficiency of self-adaptive systems. The development, maintenance and operation of…
Project: Web and mobile accessibility for visually impaired (WMA4VIP) WMA4VIP was an exploratory research project that investigated the challenges that the community of blind and visually impaired…
Seed project: The paradox of over empowerment: Does patient empowerment have its limits? The main objective for this seed project within Linnaeus Knowledge Environment Digital Transformations is to…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Kadriu, F., Murtezaj, D., Gashi, F., Ahmedi, L., Kurti, A., et al. (2022). Human-annotated dataset for social media sentiment analysis for Albanian language. Data in Brief. 43.
Dalipi, F., Jokela, P., Kastrati, Z., Kurti, A., Elm, P. (2022). Going digital as a result of COVID-19 : Insights from students’ and teachers’ impressions in a Swedish university. International Journal of Educational Research Open. 3.
Bani Hani, I., Chowdhury, S., Kurti, A. (2022). The Triadic Relationship of Sense-Making, Analytics, and Institutional Influences. Informatics. 9 (1).
Kastrati, Z., Ahmedi, L., Kurti, A., Kadriu, F., Murtezaj, D., et al. (2021). A Deep Learning Sentiment Analyser for Social Media Comments in Low-Resource Languages. Electronics. 10 (10).
Kastrati, Z., Kurti, A., Imran, A.S. (2020). WET : Word embedding-topic distribution vectors for MOOC video lectures dataset. Data in Brief. 28. 1-6.
Kastrati, Z., Imran, A.S., Kurti, A. (2020). Weakly Supervised Framework for Aspect-Based Sentiment Analysis on Students' Reviews of MOOCs. IEEE Access. 8. 106799-106810.
Kastrati, Z., Imran, A.S., Kurti, A. (2019). Integrating word embeddings and document topics with deep learning in a video classification framework. Pattern Recognition Letters. 128. 85-92.
Ahmedi, F., Ahmedi, L., O'flynn, B., Kurti, A., Tahirsylaj, S., et al. (2018). InWaterSense : An Intelligent Wireless Sensor Network for Monitoring Surface Water Quality to a River in Kosovo. International Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Information Systems. 9 (1). 39-61.
Chow, J.A., Törnros, M.E., Waltersson, M., Richard, H., Kusoffsky, M., et al. (2017). A design study investigating augmented reality and photograph annotation in a digitalized grossing workstation. Journal of Pathology Informatics. 8.
Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Johansson, E., Müller, M. (2014). Mobile Inquiry Learning in Sweden : Development Insights on Interoperability, Extensibility and Sustainability of the LETS GO Software System. Educational Technology & Society. 17 (2). 43-57.
Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M. (2008). Bridging Outdoors and Indoors Educational Activities in Schools with the Support of Mobile and Positioning Technologies. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organization: Special Issue on Current Mobile Learning Technologies and Applications. 2 (2). 166-186.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Kastrati, Z., Kurti, A., Dalipi, F., Ferati, M. (2023). Leveraging Topic Modeling to Investigate Learning Experience and Engagement of MOOC Completers. Methodologies and Intelligent Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning, 13th International Conference : 13th International Conference. MIS4TEL 2023. 54-64.
- Uzairi, A., Kurti, A., Kastrati, Z. (2023). A Deep Learning-based Solution for Identification of Figurative Elements in Trademark Images. 2023 4th International Conference on Computing, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies (iCoMET). 1-7.
- Ferati, M., Demukaj, V., Kurti, A., Mörtberg, C. (2022). Challenges and Opportunities for Women Studying STEM. ICT Innovations 2022. Reshaping the Future Towards a New Normal. ICT Innovations 2022 : 14th International Conference, ICT Innovations 2022, Skopje, Macedonia, September 29 – October 1, 2022. 147-157.
- Ferati, M., Demukaj, V., Kurti, A., Mörtberg, C. (2022). Generation Z Enters STEM : Obstacles and Opportunities in the Case of Kosovo. Abstract Book: 6th Annual International Symposium on Future of STEAM (sciences, technology, engineering,arts and mathematics) Education, 18-21 July 2022, Athens, Greece. 31-32.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Kastrati, Z. (2022). Investigating the FAIRness of Science and Technology Open Data : A Focus in the Scandinavian Countries. HCI International 2022 Posters. HCII 2022. : 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, HCII 2022, Virtual Event, June 26 – July 1, 2022, Proceedings, Part I. 276-283.
- Kurti, A., Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kastrati, Z. (2021). Increasing the Understandability and Explainability of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Solutions : A Design Thinking Approach. Human Interaction, Emerging Technologies and Future Applications : Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Human Interaction and Emerging Technologies: Future Applications (IHIET – AI 2021), April 28-30, 2021, Strasbourg, France. 37-42.
- Imran, A.S., Kastrati, Z., Svendsen, T.K., Kurti, A. (2019). Text-Independent Speaker ID Employing 2D-CNN for Automatic Video Lecture Categorization in a MOOC Setting. 2019 IEEE 31st International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI). 273-277.
- Alsouda, Y., Pllana, S., Kurti, A. (2019). IoT-based Urban Noise Identification Using Machine Learning : Performance of SVM, KNN, Bagging, and Random Forest. Proceedings of the International Conference on Omni-Layer Intelligent Systems (COINS '19). 62-67.
- Memeti, S., Pllana, S., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Jusufi, I. (2019). IoTutor : How Cognitive Computing Can Be Applied to Internet of Things Education. . 1-16.
- Kastrati, Z., Kurti, A., Hagelbäck, J. (2019). The Effect of a Flipped Classroom in a SPOC : Students' Perceptions and Attitudes. ICETC 2019: Proceedings of the 2019 11th International Conference on Education Technology and Computers. 246-249.
- Kastrati, Z., Imran, A.S., Kurti, A. (2019). Transfer Learning to Timed Text Based Video Classification Using CNN. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics.
- Imran, A.S., Kastrati, Z., Svendsen, T.K., Kurti, A. (2019). Text-Independent Speaker ID for Automatic Video Lecture Classification Using Deep Learning. Proceedings of the 2019 5th International Conference on Computing and Artificial Intelligence, April 19-22, 2019, Bali, Indonesia. 175-180.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A. (2018). Integrating MOOCs in Regular Higher Education : Challenges and Opportunities from a Scandinavian Perspective. Learning and Collaboration Technologies : Design, Development and Technological Innovation. LCT 2018. 193-204.
- Alsouda, Y., Pllana, S., Kurti, A. (2018). A Machine Learning Driven IoT Solution for Noise Classification in Smart Cities. Machine Learning Driven Technologies and Architectures for Intelligent Internet of Things (ML-IoT), August 28, 2018, Prague, Czech Republic. 1-6.
- Dalipi, F., Kurti, A., Zdravkova, K., Ahmedi, L. (2017). Rethinking the conventional learning paradigm towards MOOC based flipped classroom learning. 16th International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET), 10-12 June, 2017, Ohrid, Macedonia.
- Dalipi, F., Idrizi, F., Kurti, A. (2017). Exploring the Impact of Social Learning Networks in M-Learning : a Case Study in a University Environment. Learning and Collaboration Technologies Novel Learning Ecosystems : 4th International Conference, LCT 2017, Held as Part of HCI International 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9-14, 2017, Proceedings, Part I. 189-198.
- Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Vogel, B., Raufi, B. (2016). Augmenting requirements gathering for people with special needs using IoT : A position paper. CHASE '16 : Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering. 48-51.
- Bytyçi, E., Ahmedi, L., Kurti, A. (2016). Association Rule Mining with Context Ontologies : An Application to Mobile Sensing of Water Quality. Metadata and Semantics Research : 10th International Conference, MTSR 2016, Göttingen, Germany, November 22-25, 2016, Proceedings. 67-78.
- Chow, J., Kusoffsky, M., Kurti, A. (2016). From Abstract to Concrete : Telling Math Stories with Cards. Proceedings of the 14th Participatory Design Conference : Short Papers, Interactive Exhibitions, Workshops - Volume 2. 90-91.
- Weyns, D., Caporuscio, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A. (2015). Design for Sustainability = Runtime Adaptation U Evolution. Proceedings of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops. 1-7.
- Dika, E., Kurti, A. (2015). Use of a Smart TV as a Platform for Social Engagement for Senior Citizens. 7th ICT innovations Conference 2015 : Web proceedings. 96-105.
- Vogel, B., Kilamo, T., Kurti, A. (2015). Teaching Distributed Agile Development to Software Professionals : A Flexible Approach. Proceedings of the 2015 European Conference on Software Architecture Workshops (ECSA 2015). 1-8.
- Ferati, M., Raufi, B., Kurti, A., Vogel, B. (2014). Accessibility Requirements for Blind and Visually Impaired in a Regional Context : An Exploratory Study. 2014 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Usability and Accessibility focused Requirements Engineering (UsARE). 13-16.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Mikkonen, T., Milrad, M. (2014). From Architectural Requirements towards an Open Architecture for Web and Mobile Societal Applications. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Inclusive Web Programming - Programming on the Web with Open Data for Societal Applications. 20-23.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Mikkonen, T., Milrad, M. (2014). Towards an Open Architecture Model for Web and Mobile Software : Characteristics and Validity Properties. 2014 IEEE 38th Annual Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC). 476-485.
- Kohen-Vacs, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Ronen, M. (2012). Systems integration challenges for supporting cross context collaborative pedagogical scenarios. Collaboration and Technology : 18th International Conference, CRIWG 2012 Raesfeld, Germany, September 16-19, 2012 Proceedings. 184-191.
- Fonseca, D., Zabulis, X., Ramzan, N., Kurti, A., Pileggi, S.F., et al. (2012). 1st international ACM workshop on user experience in e-learning and augmented technologies in education. MM'12 Proceedings of the 20th ACM international conference on Multimedia. 1519-1520.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Mikkonen, T. (2012). Architectural Concepts : Evolution of a Software System across Design and Implementation Stages in Dynamically Changing Environments. Proceedings - International Computer Software and Applications Conference. 144-151.
- Kohen-Vacs, D., Ronen, M., Bar-Ness, O., Milrad, M., Kurti, A. (2012). Integrating Collaborative and Mobile Technologies for Fostering Learning about Negotiation Styles. Proceedings of the 20th international conference on computers in education ICCE 2012. 403-407.
- Vogel, B., Pettersson, O., Kurti, A., Huck, A. (2012). Utilizing Gesture Based Interaction for Supporting Collaborative Explorations of Visualizations in TEL. Proceedings 2012 17th IEEE International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technology in Education, WMUTE 2012. 177-181.
- Milrad, M., Kohen-Vacs, D., Vogel, B., Ronen, M., Kurti, A. (2011). An Integrated Approach for the Enactment of Collaborative Pedagogical ScriptsUsing Mobile Technologies. CSCL2011 Conference Proceedings : Volume II, Short Papers & Posters. 681-685.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Kerren, A. (2011). An Interactive Web-based Visualization Tool in Action : User Testing and Usability Aspects. Proceedings 11th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology. 403-408.
- Vogel, B., Spikol, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2010). Integrating Mobile, Web and Sensory Technologies to Support Inquiry-Based Science Learning. IEEE WMUTE (International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies in Education). 65-72.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2010). Enhancing Emerging Learning Objects with Contextual Metadata Using the Linked Data Approach. 2010 6th IEEE International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies in Education (WMUTE). 50-56.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2009). A Linked Data Approach for Enriching Emerging Learning Objects with Contextual Metadata. Future Learning Landscapes : Towards the Convergence of Pervasive and Contextual computing, Global Social Media and Semantic Web in Technology Enhanced Learning.
- Svensson, M., Kurti, A. (2009). Using contextual metadata for enhanced reusability of mobile media objects. Sharing Experiences with Social Mobile Media : Proceedings of the International Workshop in conjunction with MobileHCI 2009. 72-79.
- Kurti, A. (2008). Context Modeling to Support the Design of Mobile Learning. The 5th International Conference on Soft Computing as Transdisciplinary Science and Technology. 536-541.
- Wingkvist, A., Kurti, A. (2008). Context Thinking. Proceedings of 31th Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia. 15.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Spikol, D. (2007). Designing Innovative Learning Activities Using Ubiquitous Computing. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies. 386-390.
- Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M., Martin, S., Pettersson, O. (2007). Exploring How Pervasive Technologies Can Support Situated Learning. Proceedings of “Pervasive Learning 2007”, An International Workshop on Pervasive Learning, in conjunction with Pervasive 2007, May 13th, 2007, Toronto, Canada. 19-26.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Alserin, F., Gustafsson, J. (2006). Designing and Implementing Ubiquitous Learning Activities Supported by Mobile and Positioning Technologies. Proceedings of the IASTED CATE 2006 Conference. 193-199.
- Kurti, A., Milrad, M., Alserin, F. (2006). Contextual Design of Mobile Services to Support Knowledge Workers in Library Settings.. Sixth IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT'06). 375-377.
- Flensburg, P., Kurti, A. (2006). Social Informatics in future?. Social Informatics : An Information Society for All? : In Remembrance of Rob Kling (IFIP International Federation for Information Processing). 87-101.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ferati, M., Bertoni, M., Dalipi, F., Kurti, A., Jokela, P., et al. (2021). Tackling the Sustainability of Digital Aging Innovations Through Design Thinking and Systems Thinking Perspectives. ICT for Health, Accessibility and Wellbeing : First International Conference, IHAW 2021, Larnaca, Cyprus, November 8–9, 2021, Revised Selected Papers. Springer. 179-184.
- Ferati, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Raufi, B., Astals, D.S. (2016). Web Accessibility for Visually Impaired People : Requirements and Design Issues. Usability- and Accessibility-Focused Requirements Engineering : First International Workshop, UsARE 2012, Held in Conjunction with ICSE 2012, Zurich, Switzerland, June 4, 2012 and Second International Workshop, UsARE 2014, Held in Conjunction with RE 2014, Karlskrona, Sweden, August 25, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. Cham, Springer. 79-96.
- Amatya, S., Kurti, A. (2013). Cross-Platform Mobile Development : Challenges and Opportunities. ICT Innovations 2013 : ICT Innovations and Education. Springer. 219-229.
- Pea, R., Milrad, M., Maldonado, H., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., et al. (2011). Learning and Technological Designs for Mobile Science Inquiry Collaboratories. Orchestrating Inquiry Learning. London, Uniteed Kingdom, Routledge. 105-127.
- Kaltofen, S., Milrad, M., Kurti, A. (2010). A Cross-Platform Software System to Create and Deploy Mobile Mashups.. Web Engineering : 10th International Conference, ICWE 2010, Vienna Austria, July 5-9, 2010.. Berlin, Springer. 518-521.
- Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M. (2010). Exploring the benefits of open standard initiatives for supporting inquiry-based science learning. Sustaining TEL: From Innovation to Learning and Practice : 5th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning, EC-TEL 2010, Barcelona, Spain, September 28 - October 1, 2010. Proceedings. Berlin/Heidelberg, Springer. 596-601.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Abbas, N., Awais, M.M., Kurti, A. (2023). Smart Forest Observatories Network : A MAPE-K Architecture Based Approach for Detecting and Monitoring Forest Damage. Proceedings of the Conference Digital solutions for detecting and monitoring forest damage : Växjö, Sweden, March 28-29, 2023.
- Kurti, A., Dalipi, F. (2017). Bridging the Gap between Academia and Industry : Lessons Learned from a Graduate IT Professional Development Program. Abstract Book : 2nd Annual International Conference on Engineering Education & Teaching, 5-8 June 2017, Athens, Greece. 27-27.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Spikol, D., Kurti, A., Milrad, M. (2008). Collaboration in Context as a Framework for Designing Innovative Mobile Learning Activities. Innovative Mobile Learning: Techniques and Technologies. Information Science Reference, IGI Global, Hershey. 172-196.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Kurti, A. (2009). Exploring the multiple dimensions of context: Implications for the design and development of innovative technology-enhanced learning environments. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Växjö University Press. 200.
Conference paper (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Kurti, A., Spikol, D., Milrad, M., Flensburg, P. (2006). Increasing the value of information: Putting content in context: is that enough?. Proceedings of Information System Research Seminar, IRIS 29.