Aris AlissandrakisSenior lecturer
Department of Computer Science and Media Technology Faculty of Technology
Senior Lecturer at the department of Computer Science and Media Technology (CM).
Personal academic webpage can be found here, full list of publications here.
Course coordinator (past/current) for
- "Scientific Theories and Methods" [4ME301] (2016-now)
- "Cross Media Design and Production" [4ME306] (2012-now)
- "Mobile Games and Entertainment" [4ME308] (2012-now)
- "Adaptive and Semantic Web" [4ME310] (2012-2015)
- "Advanced Topics in Media Technology" [4ME312] (2019-now)
- "Degree Project (master thesis)" [5ME11E] (2015-2017)
- "Scientific Methods in Computer Science" [4DV502] (2019-now)
- "Degree Project (magister thesis)" [4DV50E] (2019)
- "Current Topics within Computer Science" [2DV505] (2021-now)
- "Selected Topics in Computer Science" [4DV504] (2021-now)
Was previously (2014-2017) programme coordinator for "Social Media and Web Technologies" (NAMT2) international master programme.
Active research interests include: Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual/Augmented Reality (see VRxAR Labs research group), Quantified Self, Big Data, Imitation & Social Learning in Adaptive Systems, Human-Robot Interaction, and Artificial Life.
My research groups
Data Intensive Digital Humanities The research area Data Intensive Digital Humanities within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) is a network that brings…
Digital Humanities Digital humanities is an interdisciplinary field of study that represents a bridge between the arts and humanities and information technology.
VRxAR Labs The VRxAR Labs research group is exploring interface design for Mixed Reality environments, such as Virtual and Augmented Reality.
My ongoing research projects
Project: Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) The purpose of the PEAR project is to investigate the possibilities of using Augmented Reality technologies to increase public engagement. In…
Project: Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) The purpose of the ODxVR project is to propose novel interface design approaches that enable interactive visualization of Open Data (OD)…
Project: Visualizing quantified self data using avatars The purpose of the project is to explore creative ways to visualize Quantified Self data, aggregated from social media and Internet of Things…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Kerren, A. (2022). An Empirical Evaluation of Asymmetric Synchronous Collaboration Combining Immersive and Non-Immersive Interfaces Within the Context of Immersive Analytics. Frontiers in Virtual Reality. 2.
Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2020). Open data exploration in virtual reality : a comparative study of input technology. Virtual Reality. 24 (1). 1-22.
Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Lundberg, J., et al. (2019). Visualizing rich corpus data using virtual reality. Studies in Variation, Contacts and Change in English. 20.
Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2014). Designing Enjoyable Motion-Based Play Interactions with a Small Humanoid Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics. 6 (2). 173-193.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Tyrkkö, J., Kerren, A. (2020). "Oh, that's where you are!" : Towards a Hybrid Asymmetric Collaborative Immersive Analytics System. NordiCHI '20: Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, Tallinn, Estonia, October 25-29, 2020.. 1-12.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Kerren, A. (2020). Exploration of Time-Oriented Data in Immersive Virtual Reality Using a 3D Radar Chart Approach. NordiCHI '20: Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, Tallinn, Estonia, October 25-29, 2020.. 1-11.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2018). Using an Augmented Reality Cube-like Interface and 3D Gesture-based Interaction to Navigate and Manipulate Data. VINCI '18 Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction. 92-96.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., et al. (2018). Visualizing dynamic text corpora using Virtual Reality. ICAME 39 : Tampere, 30 May – 3 June, 2018 : Corpus Linguistics and Changing Society : Book of Abstracts. 205-205.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N. (2017). Using Mobile Augmented Reality to Facilitate Public Engagement. Extended Papers of the International Symposium on Digital Humanities (DH 2016). 99-109.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change Your Perspective : Exploration of a 3D Network Created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 403-410.
- Nake, I., Alissandrakis, A., Zbick, J. (2016). Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 57-66.
- Alissandrakis, A., Nake, I. (2016). A New Approach for Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing : Adjunct. 522-527.
- Herault, R.C., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). An Application for Speech and Language Therapy Using Customized Interaction Between Physical Objects and Mobile Devices. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. 477-482.
- Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N. (2016). There is more to come : Anticipating content on interactive public displays through timer animations. PerDis 2016 : Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 247-248.
- Hoppe, H.U., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M., Schneegass, C., et al. (2016). "VC/DC" - Video versus Domain Concepts in Comments to Learner-generated Science Videos. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. India: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education. 172-181.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Increasing user engagement with distributed public displays through the awareness of peer interactions. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 23-29.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Application features to convey peers' interactions to engage users in a display network. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 267-268.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2014). Evaluating usage patterns and adoption of an interactive video installation on public displays in school contexts. MUM '14 Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia. 160-169.
- Otero, N., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Exploring video-based interactions around digital public displays to foster curiosity about science in schools. .
- Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Müller, M., Milrad, M., Lencastre, J.A., et al. (2013). Promoting secondary school learners' curiosity towards science through digital public displays. Proceedings of International Conference on Making Sense of Converging Media, AcademicMindTrek '13. 204-210.
- Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2011). Interaction Design for an Enjoyable Play Interaction with a Small Humanoid Robot. Proceedings of the 2011 11th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids 2011). 112-119.
- Cooney, M., Becker-Asano, C., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2010). Full-body gesture recognition using inertial sensors for playful interaction with small humanoid robot. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2010). 2276-2282.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Dadzie, A., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2016). Collaborative Learning through Creative Video Composition on Distributed User Interfaces. State-of-the-Art and Future Directions of Smart Learning. Springer. 199-210.
- Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Designing interactive mobile services to promote civic participation in northern Uganda. ICT for Anti-Corruption, Democracy And Education In East Africa. Stockholm, Stockholm University. 53-65.
- Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N., Saunders, J., Dautenhahn, K., Nehaniv, C. (2010). Helping Robots Imitate : Metrics And Computational Solutions Inspired By Human-Robot Interaction Studies. Advances in Cognitive Systems. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 127-167.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Tyrkkö, J. (2019). Collaborative exploration of rich corpus data using immersive virtual reality and non-immersive technologies. ADDA : Approaches to Digital Discourse Analysis – ADDA 2, Turku, Finland 23-25 May 2019 ; Book of abstracts. 7-7.
- Research in immersive analytics presented at major conference in human-computer interaction News
- Using Virtual Reality, large corpuses can be analysed in new, smart ways News
- Virtual Reality project presented at VR_Sci Fest 2017 News
- Media Technology receives best paper award for study of students' video comments News
- New smartphone app aims to increase public engagement in local issues News
- Best paper award to Media Technology staff for visualizing quantified self data News
- Virtual Reality will make Open Data more visible and valuable News