Senior Lecturer at the department of Computer Science and Media Technology (CM).
Course coordinator for
- "Scientific Theories and Methods" [4ME301] (2016-now)
- "Cross Media Design and Production" [4ME306] (2012-now)
- "Mobile Games and Entertainment" [4ME308] (2012-now)
- "Adaptive and Semantic Web" [4ME310] (2012-2015)
- "Degree Project (master thesis)" [5ME11E] (2015-2017)
Was previously (2014-2017) programme coordinator for "Social Media and Web Technologies" (NAMT2) international master programme.
Active research interests include: Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual/Augmented Reality (see VRxAR Labs research group), Quantified Self, Big Data, Serious Games, Cross-media, Imitation & Social Learning in Adaptive Systems, Human-Robot Interaction, and Artificial Life.
Project: Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) The purpose of the ODxVR project is to propose novel interface design approaches that enable interactive visualization of Open Data (OD) within…
Project: Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) The purpose of the PEAR project is to investigate the possibilities of using Augmented Reality technologies to increase public engagement. In con…
Project: Visualizing quantified self data using avatars The purpose of the project is to explore creative ways to visualize Quantified Self data, aggregated from social media and Internet of Things ser…
Project: Real-Time 3D Gesture Analysis for Natural Interaction with Smart Devices This project will help develop the next-generation interface – being able to interact with mobile phones and other smar…
My research groups
VRxAR Labs The VRxAR Labs research group is exploring interface design for Mixed Reality environments, such as Virtual and Augmented Reality.
Data Intensive Digital Humanities The research area Data Intensive Digital Humanities within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) is a network that brings toge…
Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications The DISA research centre at Linnaeus University focuses its efforts on open questions in collection, analysis and utilization of …
Digital Humanities Recent developments in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and interactive applications are creating new social tools and conditions for people to connect and interact; …
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2014). Designing Enjoyable Motion-Based Play Interactions with a Small Humanoid Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics. 6. 173-193.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., et al. (2018). Visualizing dynamic text corpora using Virtual Reality. ICAME 39 : Tampere, 30 May – 3 June, 2018 : Corpus Linguistics and Changing Society : Book of Abstracts. 205-205.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2018). Using an Augmented Reality Cube-like Interface and 3D Gesture-based Interaction to Navigate and Manipulate Data. VINCI '18 Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction. 92-96.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N. (2017). Using Mobile Augmented Reality to Facilitate Public Engagement. Extended Papers of the International Symposium on Digital Humanities (DH 2016). 99-109.
- Herault, R.C., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). An Application for Speech and Language Therapy Using Customized Interaction Between Physical Objects and Mobile Devices. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. 477-482.
- Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N. (2016). There is more to come : Anticipating content on interactive public displays through timer animations. PerDis 2016 : Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 247-248.
- Nake, I., Alissandrakis, A., Zbick, J. (2016). Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 57-66.
- Alissandrakis, A., Nake, I. (2016). A New Approach for Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing : Adjunct. 522-527.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change Your Perspective : Exploration of a 3D Network Created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 403-410.
- Hoppe, H.U., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M., Schneegass, C., et al. (2016). "VC/DC" - Video versus Domain Concepts in Comments to Learner-generated Science Videos. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. India: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education. 172-181.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Increasing user engagement with distributed public displays through the awareness of peer interactions. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 23-29.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Application features to convey peers' interactions to engage users in a display network. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 267-268.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2014). Evaluating usage patterns and adoption of an interactive video installation on public displays in school contexts. MUM '14 Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia. 160-169.
- Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Müller, M., Milrad, M., Lencastre, J.A., et al. (2013). Promoting secondary school learners' curiosity towards science through digital public displays. Proceedings of International Conference on Making Sense of Converging Media, AcademicMindTrek '13. 204-210.
- Otero, N., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Exploring video-based interactions around digital public displays to foster curiosity about science in schools. .
- Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2011). Interaction Design for an Enjoyable Play Interaction with a Small Humanoid Robot. Proceedings of the 2011 11th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids 2011). 112-119.
- Cooney, M., Becker-Asano, C., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2010). Full-body gesture recognition using inertial sensors for playful interaction with small humanoid robot. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2010). 2276-2282.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Dadzie, A., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2016). Collaborative Learning through Creative Video Composition on Distributed User Interfaces. State-of-the-Art and Future Directions of Smart Learning. Springer. 199-210.
- Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Designing interactive mobile services to promote civic participation in northern Uganda. ICT for Anti-Corruption, Democracy And Education In East Africa. Stockholm, Stockholm University. 53-65.
- Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N., Saunders, J., Dautenhahn, K., Nehaniv, C. (2010). Helping Robots Imitate : Metrics And Computational Solutions Inspired By Human-Robot Interaction Studies. Advances in Cognitive Systems. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 127-167.