Senior Lecturer at the department of Media Technology; programme coordinator for the "Social Media and Web Technologies" (NAMT2) master programme.
Course coordinator for
- "Scientific Theories and Methods" (4ME301),
- "Cross Media Design and Production" (4ME306),
- "Mobile Games and Entertainment" (4ME308),
- and master degree project (5ME11E).
Active research interests include Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual/Augmented Reality, Quantified Self, Big Data, Serious Games, Cross-media, Imitation & Social Learning in Adaptive Systems, Human-Robot Interaction, and Artificial Life.
My research groups and projects
VRxAR Labs The VRxAR Labs research group is exploring interface design for Mixed Reality environments, such as Virtual and Augmented Reality.
Project: Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) The purpose of the PEAR project is to investigate the possibilities of using Augmented Reality technologies to increase public engagement. In con…
Project: Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) The purpose of the ODxVR project is to propose novel interface design approaches that enable interactive visualization of Open Data (OD) within…
Project: Visualizing quantified self data using avatars The purpose of the project is to explore creative ways to visualize Quantified Self data, aggregated from social media and Internet of Things ser…
Project: Real-Time 3D Gesture Analysis for Natural Interaction with Smart Devices This project will help develop the next-generation interface – being able to interact with mobile phones and other smar…
Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics The research area Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) works with the detectio…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2014). Designing Enjoyable Motion-Based Play Interactions with a Small Humanoid Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics. 6. 173-193.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Herault, R.C., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). An Application for Speech and Language Therapy Using Customized Interaction Between Physical Objects and Mobile Devices. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. 477-482.
- Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N. (2016). There is more to come : Anticipating content on interactive public displays through timer animations. PerDis 2016 : Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 247-248.
- Nake, I., Alissandrakis, A., Zbick, J. (2016). Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 57-66.
- Alissandrakis, A., Nake, I. (2016). A New Approach for Visualizing Quantified Self Data Using Avatars. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing : Adjunct. 522-527.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change Your Perspective : Exploration of a 3D Network Created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 403-410.
- Hoppe, H.U., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M., Schneegass, C., et al. (2016). "VC/DC" - Video versus Domain Concepts in Comments to Learner-generated Science Videos. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Computers in Education. India: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education. 172-181.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Increasing user engagement with distributed public displays through the awareness of peer interactions. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 23-29.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2015). Application features to convey peers' interactions to engage users in a display network. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 267-268.
- Müller, M., Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2014). Evaluating usage patterns and adoption of an interactive video installation on public displays in school contexts. MUM '14 Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia. 160-169.
- Otero, N., Alissandrakis, A., Müller, M., Milrad, M., Lencastre, J.A., et al. (2013). Promoting secondary school learners' curiosity towards science through digital public displays. Proceedings of International Conference on Making Sense of Converging Media, AcademicMindTrek '13. 204-210.
- Otero, N., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Exploring video-based interactions around digital public displays to foster curiosity about science in schools. .
- Cooney, M., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2011). Interaction Design for an Enjoyable Play Interaction with a Small Humanoid Robot. Proceedings of the 2011 11th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids 2011). 112-119.
- Cooney, M., Becker-Asano, C., Kanda, T., Alissandrakis, A., Ishiguro, H. (2010). Full-body gesture recognition using inertial sensors for playful interaction with small humanoid robot. Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2010). 2276-2282.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Dadzie, A., Müller, M., Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2016). Collaborative Learning through Creative Video Composition on Distributed User Interfaces. State-of-the-Art and Future Directions of Smart Learning. Springer. 199-210.
- Alissandrakis, A., Milrad, M. (2013). Designing interactive mobile services to promote civic participation in northern Uganda. ICT for Anti-Corruption, Democracy And Education In East Africa. Stockholm, Stockholm University. 53-65.
- Alissandrakis, A., Otero, N., Saunders, J., Dautenhahn, K., Nehaniv, C. (2010). Helping Robots Imitate : Metrics And Computational Solutions Inspired By Human-Robot Interaction Studies. Advances in Cognitive Systems. Institution of Engineering and Technology. 127-167.