I hold a PhD in social work (2010) and serve as an Associate Professor at Linnaeus University where I teach at undergraduate and graduate levels. My research area engages with ethnic relations, social policy, social work, Kurdish and Palestinian diasporas, citizenship and multiculturalism in Middle Eastern and west European societies. Before joining Linnaeus University, I served as postdoc as the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Lund University between 2011-2013 and worked as a researcher at the International Migration Institute at Oxford University in 2014 where I carried out research among Kurdish and Palestinian Diasporas in Sweden and the UK.
I have taught at the The two-year international interdisciplinary Master's programme in Middle Eastern Studies at Lund University and undergraduate and graduate courses within the social work program at Linnaeus University. I worked as program coordinator for the master program in social work, 2019-2021. In 2015, I was approached and offered to be nominated by York University as a Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) for exceptional emerging researchers, acknowledged as having the potential to lead in the field on Migration and Mobilities.
I have reviewed:
Research fund application to the The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) in Canada.
Researcher Position within the MWK-Fellows programme of the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies at Max-Weber-Kolleg Erfurt, Germany.
-Promotion to Associate Professorship
-Master Program in Social Work
Moreover, I have functioned as a peer reviewer for more than 27 international academic journals and reviewed book proposals for Routledge, Palgrave, Sage and Ashgate. In addition, I am a member of the editorial boards for the following journal and book series:
Journal of Qualitative Social Work
International Journal of Kurdish Studies
International Editorial Advisory Board for Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Studies
The International Editorial Advisory Board for International Institute for The Study of Kurdish Societies (IISKS)
The International Advisory Book for the book series Postcolonial Matter/Materia Postcoloniale, UNIOR
I have also being part of dissertation committees at Lund University, Malmö University, Mid Sweden University, Uppsala University and Stockholm University. In the same context, I have acted as an opponent at Leicester University, University of Helsinki and Oslo University.
I have co-supervised a doctoral student to completion at Mid Sweden University and currently act as a principal supervisor for two doctoral students at Linnaeus University and as second-supervisor for a doctoral student at Bielefeld University in Germany.
Critical Social Work, Youth, Citizenship, Middle Eastern Studies, Migration, Multictulturalism
Social Work, citizenship, migration, Middle Eastern societies, multiculturalism, welfare policy, statelessness, politics of belonging, identity formation and youth
My research groups and projects
Linnaeus University Centre for Concurrences in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies The Linnaeus University Centre for Concurrences in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies is a leading Swedish centre for…
Project: Statelessness and political belonging in a world of nation-states This research project investigates statelessness and political belonging in a world of unequal nation-states and citizenship…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Eliassi, B. (2020). The Nation-State and Processes of Majoritization and Minoritization. Tishk. 16-31.
- Dahlstedt, M., Eliassi, B. (2018). Slaget om hemmet - Värden, utanförskapanden och förorten som folkhemmets periferi : [The struggle about home. Values, social exclusion and the suburb as the periphery of the People’s home]. Sociologisk forskning. 55. 203-223.
- Eliassi, B. (2017). Conceptions of Immigrant Integration and Racism Among Social Workers in Sweden. Journal of Progressive Human Services. 28. 6-35.
- Dahlstedt, M., Eliassi, B., Salmonsson, L. (2017). Medborgarskap och tillhörighet i migrationens tid – inledande reflektioner av temanumrets gästredaktörer. Sociologisk forskning. 54. 5-10.
- Eliassi, B. (2016). Statelessness in a world of nation-states : The cases of Kurdish diasporas in Sweden and the UK. Journal of ethnic and migration studies. 42. 1403-1419.
- Eliassi, B. (2015). Constructing Cultural Otherness Within the Swedish Welfare State: The Cases of Social Workers in Sweden. Qualitative Social Work. 14. 554-571.
- Alinia, M., Wahlbeck, Ö., Eliassi, B., Khayati, K. (2014). The Kurdish Diaspora : Transnational Ties, Home, and Politics of Belonging. Nordic Journal of Migration Research. 4. 53-56.
- Alinia, M., Eliassi, B. (2014). Temporal and generational impact on identity, home(land) and politics of belonging among the Kurdish diaspora.. Nordic Journal of Migration Research. 4. 73-81.
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Orientalist Social Work : Cultural Otherization of Muslim Immigrants in Sweden. Critical Social Work. 14. 33-47.
- Eliassi, B. (2012). Mellan tillhörighet och exkludering : Identitetsformering och motstånd bland unga kurder i Sverige. Locus. 32-50.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Eliassi, B. (2014). Conceptualising statelessness and belonging : The cases of Kurdish diasporas in Sweden and UK. .
- Eliassi, B., Andersson, D., Stenberg, L. (2013). Sport and Politics of Belonging among Middle Eastern Immigrants in Sweden. .
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Kurds in the shadow of Iranian Citizenship. .
- Eliassi, B. (2013). The Second-Generation Kurdish Diaspora in Sweden. Crisis, Critique and Change : Diasporic Translations: Reformulating Ethnic and Political Identities in Diaspora.
- Eliassi, B. (2012). Reproduction of national conflicts in diaspora : The case of Kurdish youth in Sweden. .
- Eliassi, B. (2012). Stateless diaspora in the Swedish civil society. Nordic Migration Research Conference & 9th ETMU Days, University of Turku, 13th-15th August 2012.
- Eliassi, B. (2011). Nationalism, statelessness and reactive identity formation among Kurdish youth in Sweden. .
- Eliassi, B. (2011). Subordinated inclusion of Kurdish youth in Sweden. .
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Contesting Kurdish identities in Sweden : quest for belonging among Middle Eastern youth. New York, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Eliassi, B. (2012). Ülkemde Bir Yabancı : İsveç´teki Kürt Gençlerinin Aidiyet Politikaları. Istanbul, Avesta.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Eliassi, B. (2021). Kurdish Diaspora : A Transnational Imagined Community. The Cambridge History of the Kurds. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 848-868.
- Eliassi, B. (2020). Diasporic Narratives of Assimilation and Resistance. The Kurds in the Middle East : Enduring Problems and New Dynamics. London, Lexington Books. 279-304.
- Eliassi, B. (2019). Homelessness and statelessness : possibilities and perils. Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies. New York, Routledge. 120-128.
- Eliassi, B. (2018). Diasporic conceptions of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Routledge Handbook on the Kurds. New York, Routledge. 425-438.
- Eliassi, B. (2016). Conceiving Citizenship and Statelessness in the Middle East and Sweden : The Experiences of Kurdish migrants in Sweden. Citizenship, Belonging, and Nation-States in the Twenty-First Century. Palgrave Macmillan. 85-110.
- Eliassi, B. (2016). Statelessness and Belonging : The Cases of Kurdish Youth in Sweden. New Dimensions of Diversity in Nordic Culture and Society. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 174-190.
- Eliassi, B. (2015). Making a Kurdistani identity in Diaspora : Kurdish Migrants in Sweden. Diasporas Reimagined : Spaces, Practices and Belonging. Oxford, Oxford University, Oxford Diasporas Program. 45-49.
- Eliassi, B. (2012). Political Terrains of Writing Belonging, Memory and Homeland. Emergent Writing Methodologies in Feminist Studies. New York, Routledge. 83-97.
- Eliassi, B. (2006). Diskriminerande föreställningar inom socialtjänsten. Den segregerande integrationen : Om social sammanhållning och dess hinder. Stockholm, Fritzes. 251-294.
- Eliassi, B. (2015). Narratives of statelessness and political belonging among Kurdish diasporas in Sweden and the UK. Oxford, International Migration Institute, Oxford University. 38.
Article in journal (Other academic)
- Eliassi, B. (2014). Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism and Statelessness : An interview with Craig Calhoun. Kurdish Studies journal. 3. 61-74.
- Eliassi, B. (2014). La Diaspora Kurde en Suède. Hommes & Migrations. 144--149.
- Eliassi, B., Andersson, D., Stenberg, L. (2014). Fotbollströjor, terror och tillhörighetspolitik. Idrottsforum.org/Nordic sport science forum.
Conference paper (Other academic)
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Dahlstedt, M., Eliassi, B. (2018). Utanförskapet, förorten och slaget om hemmet. Förortsdrömmar : Ungdomar, utanförskap och viljan till inkludering. Linköping, Linköping University Electronic Press. 23-46.
- Eliassi, B. (2010). Ojämlikhetens landskap och västerländska fantastier om räddningsuppdrag i världen. Röster om internationalisering : Några texter som berör internationalisering och socionomutbildning vid Mittuniversitetet, University of Northern British Columbia och Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag. Sundsvall, Mid Sweden University. 44-59.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Eliassi, B. (2010). A stranger in my homeland : The politics of belonging among young people with Kurdish backgrounds in Sweden. Doctoral Thesis. Sundsvall, Mid Sweden University. 260.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Eliassi, B. (2014). Iranian Consulate and its denial of Kurdish Identity : "Kurds are portrayed as linguistic bastards". Your Middle East.
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Kurds in the shadow of Iranian Citizenship. Your Middle East.
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Privilege and Oppression: The Persian example in the Multiethnic Iran. Your Middle East.
- Eliassi, B. (2013). Leftist Intellectuals and the Kurds. Rudaw.
- Eliassi, B. (2013). The Politics of Kurdish identity in Turkey. Your Middle East.
- Eliassi, B. (2011). Sweden Democrat's Anti-Muslim Hysteria. Open Democracy.
- Eliassi, B. (2011). National Conflicts reflected in diaspora : the quest for recognition among Kurdish youth in Sweden. Open Democracy.
- Eliassi, B. (2005). Syndabocken bland oss. Mana. 12-13.
Conference paper (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Eliassi, B. (2012). "We Kurds did not come to Sweden to become Swedish but continuing being Kurdish". 2nd Scientific World Kurdish Congress (WKC2012) in Hawler/Erbil, October 11-15, 2012. 16.
- Eliassi, B. (2008). När blir man svensk?. Migration and Youth.
- Eliassi, B. (2006). Politics of Belonging among Kurdish youth in Sweden. World Congress of Kurdish Studies.
Other (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Eliassi, B., Elena, F. (2015). How likely is civil war in Turkey?. openDemocracy.
- Eliassi, B., Fiddian-Qasmiyeh, E., Buttini, L. (2015). Radici e dinamiche del conflitto tra governo turco e curdi. Voci Globali.