My main interest is how gender and power relations are expressed both in media representations and in people's everyday activities. This also
relates to people's ability to participate in democratic processes, where media and communication science provides knowledge about the importance of media as part of community for citizenship and human rights.
I have been teaching courses in media and communication since 2000. My main assignments are to provide courses in gender theories, journalism, media structure, communication, qualitative content analyses and ethnography. I also supervise and exam students at bachelor level assignments.
Transmediation as aid for sensorial and cognitive impaired persons: possibilities and complications;, a subproject in the Linnaeus University Center for Intermedial Studies (IMS) investigates how disability is communicated and mediated. My part of this project is focused on the
formation of identity and gender.
REGPRESS project (2017) on local press and media audience, my part of the project was to investigate identity formation through sport and gender.
The point of departure in both projects is human rights, democracy and people's ability to participate in democratic processes where media and communication science contributes with important knowledge.
PhD student Media and Communication Studies, Lund.
The thesis focuses on sports culture, gender identity and media, is a continuation of the themes in the licentiate project. The research is related to my commitment to gender and equality issues important for democracy and identity formation processes, in which sport and media can be part of people's opportunities to engage and participate in society.
My research groups
Centre for Applied Heritage Applied heritage is about the potential of heritage to transform society. The Centre for Applied Heritage at Linnaeus University aims at advancing academic research and…
Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies (IMS) Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies (IMS) was founded by Lars Elleström. IMS is an…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Kempe, E., Ekelin, A., Forsberg, A., Ringfjord, B., Wahlberg, M., et al. (2021). Who/What/Where Is The Local “Us”? : The reciprocation between proximity, feelings of closeness and shared interests in relation with the local press.. Community Journalism Journal. 9 (1).
Ringfjord, B. (2020). Fotbollsflickors känsla för genus : Meningsskapande om jämställdhet genom sportmediers genusrepresentationer. Tidskrift för Genusvetenskap. 41 (3). 27-48.
Ringfjord, B. (2005). Bilder av idrottskroppen. idrottsforum.org.
Article, book review (Refereed)
Ringfjord, B. (2022). Women at the periphery of the of the US sports media industry. Idrottsforum.org. Malmö, Malmö university. 1-5.
Ringfjord, B. (2021). Practical guide to the nuts and bolts of communication in sport management. Idrottsforum.org/Nordic sport science forum. Malmö, Malmö universitet. 1-5.
Article, book review (Other academic)
Ringfjord, B. (2019). Competent and comprehensive handbook charts the new sport media landscape. idrottsforum.org. Malmö, Malmö University. (March 14).
Ringfjord, B. (2018). The politics of masculine ideals in American football. Idrottsforum.org/Nordic sport science forum. Malmö, Malmö University. (January 17).
Ringfjord, B. (2014). The future for public service media, sport and cultural citizenship are far from lost. Idrottsforum.org/Nordic sport science forum. (10 juni).
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ringfjord, B. (2012). Learning to become a football star : Representations of football fan culture in Swedish public service television for youth. We love to hate each other : mediated football fan culture. Göteborg, Nordicom. 285-299.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Wessels, B., Ekelin, A., Kempe, E., Forsberg, A., Ringfjord, B., et al. (2018). Regional press as “trust anchor” in global digital communication : the voices of journalism in Southern Sweden. Problems and Solutions for Producing Local News in the Digital Age: A Comparative Perspective in Proceedings of the 68th Conference by the Information and Communication Association (ICA) in Prague May 24-28..
- Ekelin, A., Ringfjord, B. (2016). Transmedia storytelling in strategic disability communication: practices and audiences. Transmediations! Communication across Media Borders, Abstracts, Linnaeus University, Växjö, Sweden, October 13-15, 2016. 57-58.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Ringfjord, B., Severson, P. (2017). Raising Theoretical Concept Understanding In Courses With Journalist Students. The 2nd EuroSoTL conference, June 8-9 2017, Lund, Sweden : Long paper.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Ringfjord, B. (2006). "Fotboll är livet" : en medieetnografisk studie om fotbollstjejer och TV-sport. Licentiate Thesis. Lund, Media and Communication Studies, Lund University. 114.
Other (Other academic)
- Wessels, B., Ekelin, A., Kempe, E., Forsberg, A., Ringfjord, B., et al. (2017). RegPress project final report : the role and value of regional press in a global media culture. Växjö/Kalmar, Linnaeus University. 78.