Senior lecturer and researcher in English linguistics and a qualified school teacher in English and French.
My teaching involves but is not delimited to translation and language didactics at the advanced level, English for research writing and linguistics for social purposes. Supervision of bachelor, master and PhD theses. Pedagogical development for teachers working with English as medium of instruction.
My research includes discourse analysis staged against present-day society, with a particular focus on luxury consumption. I am also engaged in the development and critical assessment of analytical models for text and discourse analysis. Another research interest is English for Academic Purposes, and I am currently involved in the project PROFiLE, which is funded by the Swedish Research Council. I am also engaged in the recently established interdisciplinary Linnaeus University Centre for Intermediality and Multimodality Studies. Since September 2015, I function as the principal investigator of the research project Metaphors in palliative cancer care, which is funded by the Kamprad Family Foundation. The project is a collaboration between Linnaeus University, Lund University and Lancaster University, UK.
Prizes and awards: The prize for outstanding scientific work in 2013, awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities for my PhD thesis on persuasiveness in wine reviews.
Administration: Director of studies for the English subject at Linnaeus University 2012-2015.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Maricic, I., Pecorari, D., Hommerberg, C. (2017). Weighing English in the balance : University teachers' perspectives on teaching through a second language. ASLAs skriftserie. 78-86.
- Gustafsson, A.W., Hommerberg, C. (2016). "Pojken lyfter sitt svärd. Ger sig in i en strid han inte kan vinna" : Om metaforer och kronisk cancersjukdom. Socialmedicinsk Tidskrift. 93. 271-279.
- Hommerberg, C., Don, A. (2015). Appraisal and the language of wine appreciation : A critical discussion of the potential of the Appraisal framework as a tool to analyse specialised genres. Functions of language. 22. 161-191.
- Hommerberg, C. (2015). Bringing consumption reviews into relief by combining appraisal and argumentation analysis. Text & Talk. 35. 155-175.
- Fuoli, M., Hommerberg, C. (2015). Optimising transparency, reliability and replicability : Annotation principles and inter-coder agreement in the quantification of evaluative expressions. Corpora. 10. 315-349.
- Hommerberg, C., Tottie, G. (2007). Try to or try and? Verb complementation in British and American English. ICAME Journal: Computers in English Linguistics. April. 45-64.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Hommerberg, C., Gustafsson, A.W. (2016). Metaphors in palliative cancer care (MEPAC) : A Sweden-based three-year interdisciplinary research project. Presented at COMET, Communication, Medicine and Ethics Conference, Aalborg, Denmark, 2016.
- Hommerberg, C., Gustafsson, A.W. (2016). It is completely ok to not be in the fighting spirit mood all the time : Metaphors and normality in Swedish cancer talk. 6th Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines Conference, CADAAD 2016 : Book of Abstracts. 118-119.
- Hommerberg, C., Gustafsson, A.W. (2016). Metaphors in palliative cancer care : A Sweden-based three-year interdisciplinary research project. RaAM 11, The 11th onference of the Association for Researching and Applying Metaphor : Metaphor in the Arts, in Media and Communication. July 1-4, 2016, Freie Universität Berlin. 229-230.
- Fuoli, M., Hommerberg, C. (2014). Constructing trustworthiness through pictorial and multimodal metaphor : An exploration of corporate visual rhetoric. 10th Conference of the Association for Researching and Applying Metaphor, RaAM : Metaphor in Communication Science and Education. Cagliari Sardinia, June 20-23, 2014. Book of Abstracts. 27-28.
- Hommerberg, C., Lindgren, M. (2014). The construction of knowledge, values and identities in present-day consumerism discourses : the case of perfume reviews. CADAAD5 : Abstract Book.
- Hommerberg, C. (2012). Bringing persuasive discourse into relief : Deciphering Robert Parker’s wine reviews by combining argumentation and appraisal analysis. CADAAD 2012, IV Conference, Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines, July 4-6, 2012 : Global Programme, Abstracts. 27-28.
- Don, A., Hommerberg, C. (2011). The language of wine appreciation. Book of Abstracts : ISFC38, Negotiating difference: languages metalanguages, modalities, cultures. 20-20.
- Hommerberg, C. (2010). Argumentation in wine writing.. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Linguistics Approaches to Food and Wine Description.. 115-123.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Paradis, C., Hommerberg, C. (2016). We drink with our eyes first : The web of sensory perceptions, aesthetic experiences and mixed imagery in wine reviews. Mixing metaphor. Amsterdam & Philadelpia, John Benjamins Publishing Company. 179-201.
- Hommerberg, C., Paradis, C. (2014). Constructing credibility in wine discourse : Modes of knowing, temporality and epistemic control. Subjectivity and Epistemicity : Corpus, discourse, and literary approaches to stance. Lund, Lund University. 211-238.
Article in journal (Other academic)
- Hommerberg, C., Gustafsson, A.W., Benzein, E., Sandgren, A., Semino, E., et al. (2016). Rendering the ungraspable graspable : the use of metaphors in Swedish palliative cancer care. Palliative Medicine : A Multiprofessional Journal. 30. NP364-NP364.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Maricic, I., Pecorari, D., Hommerberg, C. (2016). Golden opportunity, necessary evil or sword of Damocles? : What teachers say about English-medium instruction. ASLA-symposiet 2016 : Språk och norm.
- Maricic, I., Pecorari, D., Hommerberg, C. (2015). Supporting language learning in the English-medium university classroom : Teacher attitudes, beliefs and practices. 2015 joint conference of the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) and L'Association Canadienne de Linguistique Appliquée/Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics (ACLA/CAAL), Toronto, Canada.
- Hommerberg, C. (2013). Using the Appraisal model for analysis of wine reviews : benefits and challenges. Appraisal Symposium 2013 : Current Issues in Appraisal Analysis. Keynote abstracts. UNSW, February 20-21, 2013.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Hommerberg, C. (2011). Persuasiveness in the discourse of wine : The rhetoric of Robert Parker. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Kalmar, Linnaeus University Press. 262.
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Hommerberg, C. (2014). Review of Flowerdew, J. 2013. Discourse in English Language Education.. TESOL quarterly (Print). 48. 214-216.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
Conference paper (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Hommerberg, C. (2012). Vinjournalistens kommersiella makt : Det tryckta ordets påverkan på konsumentens vininköp och konsumtion. Presented at In vino veritas? Finns sanningen i vinet? : En konferens om vin med målet att initiera en nationell forskningsplattform. 26 oktober 2012, Grythyttan.