I am a part of the BLUEPRINT (Biological lenses using gene prints) project that aims to establishing a capacity to reliably deduce Baltic Sea environmental status based on indicators reflecting the biodiversity and genetic functional profiles of microbes in seawater samples. My research in this project will be focused on doing ecophysiological response experiments with genome-sequenced model bacteria and cyanobacteria to establish causal links between key environmental stressors and genetic signatures and selected nutrient fluxes/biogeochemical process rates of bacteria. Additionally I am interested in investigating how different hazardous chemicals affect bacteria and/or how efficiently different microbes degrade such compounds.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Karlsson, C.M.G., Cerro-Galvez, E., Lundin, D., Karlsson, C., Vila-Costa, M., et al. (2019). Direct effects of organic pollutants on the growth and gene expression of the Baltic Sea model bacterium Rheinheimera sp. BAL341. Microbial Biotechnology. 12. 892-906.
- Nilsson, E., Li, K., Fridlund, J., Sulcius, S., Bunse, C., et al. (2019). Genomic and Seasonal Variations among Aquatic Phages Infecting the Baltic Sea Gammaproteobacterium Rheinheimera sp. Strain BAL341. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 85. 1-19.
- Sjöstedt, J., Langenheder, S., Kritzberg, E., Karlsson, C.M.G., Lindström, E.S. (2018). Repeated disturbances affect functional but not compositional resistance and resilience in an aquatic bacterioplankton community. Environmental Microbiology Reports. 10. 493-500.
- Alneberg, J., Karlsson, C.M.G., Divne, A., Bergin, C., Homa, F., et al. (2018). Genomes from uncultivated prokaryotes : a comparison of metagenome-assembled and single-amplified genomes. Microbiome. 6.
- Bunse, C., Lundin, D., Karlsson, C.M.G., Akram, N., Vila-Costa, M., et al. (2016). Response of marine bacterioplankton pH homeostasis gene expression to elevated CO2. Nature Climate Change. 6. 483-487.
Manuscript (preprint) (Other academic)
- Karlsson, C.M.G., Lundin, D., Karlsson, C., Teikari, J.E., Moran, M.A., et al. Different gene expression responses in two Baltic Sea heterotrophic model bacteria to dinoflagellate dissolved organic matter.
- Karlsson, C.M.G., Pontiller, B., Teikari, J.E., Traving, S.J., Happel, E.M., et al. Metatranscriptomic analysis uncovers divergent responses of Baltic Sea bacteria to forest and agriculture river loadings.
- Bunse, C., Lundin, D., Lindh, M.V., Sjöstedt, J., Israelsson, S., et al. Seasonality and co-occurrences of free-living Baltic Sea bacterioplankton.