My Ph.D. project is about computer-driven tools used for language research and how they could be applied within English subject teaching in Swedish upper-secondary schools. The focus is on the use of corpus-linguistic methods in combination with didactics, and how the data produced by these methods could be used for formative assessment and lesson planning.
I am also active within the Digital Humanities where I do research aimed toward the literature subject. I look at linguistic trends, stylometrics, and representation in text. My work within this field mainly deals with the American 1920s and the Jazz age, focusing on authors such as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway.
My research groups
Centre of Language for Specific Purposes Centre of Language for Specific Purposes (CLSP) gathers researchers from the departments of Language and Swedish. Our linguistic and multilingual environment…
Data Intensive Digital Humanities The research area Data Intensive Digital Humanities within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) is a network that brings…
Educational Linguistics The Educational Linguistics research group brings together researchers in Linguistics and in Language Education, focusing on the theme ‘language (in) education’ (see Hult,…
My ongoing research projects
Doctoral project: Corpus-linguistic Methods for Upper-Secondary English Courses This project develops software intended to aid teachers in their analysis of student texts in English. The intention is…
Project: The Lost Generation Corpus The Lost Generation, as a term, refers to expatriate U.S authors who lived and worked in Europe during the first half of the 1900s. This project currently deals…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Ihrmark, D., Tyrkkö, J. (2023). Learning text analytics without coding? : An introduction to KNIME. Education for Information. 39 (2). 121-137.
Ihrmark, D. (2023). Revisiting the Computer as Informant from a TeacherMediated Perspective : Suggested Implementation of an Automated Language Diagnostics Tool. Nordic Journal of English Studies. 22 (1). 42-67.
Ihrmark, D., Nilsson, J. (2021). A Corpus Stylistic Analysis of Development in Hemingway's Literary Production. The Hemingway Review. 40 (2). 71-93.
Collection (editor) (Refereed)
- Hägerdal, H., Ocic Ihrmark, D., Ivanov, S., Waldmann, C. (2022). HumaNetten Nr 48, våren 2022 : Educational Linguistics. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 321.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Ihrmark, D., Whitley, C. (2023). Introducing the Lost Generation Corpus. .
- Ihrmark, D., Tyrkkö, J., Carlsson, H., Hanell, F. (2023). Trolling the Library: The digital threat to the democratic mission of public libraries. .
- Ihrmark, D., Tyrkkö, J., Carlsson, H., Hanell, F. (2023). Trolling the Library : the digital threat to the democratic mission of public libraries. Presented at Big Data 2023, November 30th - December 1st, Växjö.
- Ihrmark, D. (2023). LosGen Web: A Sneak Peek at the Web Interface of the Lost Generation Corpus. Presented at he Seventh Faulkner Studies in the UK Colloquium May 26th, Online.
- Ihrmark, D. (2022). Connections between Genres and Error Patterns in a Swedish Upper-Secondary EAL Corpus. Presented at ICAME 43 2022. Cambridge, UK..
- Golub, K., Tyrkkö, J., Ihrmark, D., Hanell, F., Papmehl-Dufay, L. (2022). Introducing Digital Methods Platform for Arts and Humanities (DiMPAH). Presented at the 8th Big Data Conference, Kalmar, Sweden, December 1-2, 2022.
- Ihrmark, D., Tsiviltidou, Z. (2022). Analyzing Online Horror Fiction With Corpus Linguistic Techniques for Engaging Museum Labels: Creepypasta Wiki and the House of Terror’s Mobile Application. Presented at Digital Humanities and Heritage, the 2nd DARIAH HR International Conference 2022. Rijeka, CRO.
- Ihrmark, D. (2021). Corpus Categories: What and for whom? When special corpora meet general corpora in comparative studies in literature. Presented at ICAME 42 2021. Online due to COVID-19.
- Ihrmark, D. (2021). Korpuslingvistik och automatiserad textdiagnostik för gymnasieskolans engelskundervisning. Presented at LFK 2021. Online due to COVID-19..
- Ihrmark, D., Tsiviltidou, Z. (2020). Emerging Horror: Exploring an Archive of Digitally Borne Horror Narratives. Presented at ICAME 41 2020. Online due to COVID-19..
- Tyrkkö, J., Ihrmark, D. (2019). Translanguaging in the Nordic Tweet Stream. Presented at Translanguaging in the Individual, at School and in Society 2019. Växjö, Sweden.
- Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., Lakaw, A., Fatemi, M., et al. (2019). Americanization in the Nordic Contexts on Twitter. Presented at ICAME 40 2019. Neuchâtel, Switzerland.
- Ihrmark, D. (2019). ’O Fudge, the Looks of the Girls’: A corpus-driven analysis of the female role in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Fiction. Presented at the 15th F. Scott Fitzgerald Society Conference June 24-29 2019. Toulouse, France.
- Tyrkkö, J., Gheitasi, P., Ihrmark, D. (2019). Translanguaging in the Curators of Sweden and the NTS Twitter datasets. Presented at the IVACS 1 Day Symposium 2019. Dortmund, Germany..
- Ihrmark, D. (2018). ’Cultivating One True Sentence’: A corpus stylistic analysis of Hemingway’s language. Presented at the XVIII Hemingway Society Conference July 22-28 2018. Paris, France..
- Ihrmark, D. (2017). Fitzgerald’s Short Stories in the ESL-classroom. Presented at the 14th F. Scott Fitzgerald Society Conference June 24-29 2017. St. Paul, MN. U.S..
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Ihrmark, D. (2023). Automated Text Analytics in Swedish English Classrooms : The Design, Development, and Evaluation of a Supporting Tool. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 244.
Article, book review (Other academic)
Ihrmark, D., Nilsson, J. (2022). TEACHING TENDER IS THE NIGHT TO ASPIRING FRENCH EDUCATORS. : [Review of] Agrégation Anglais 2023. F. Scott Fitzgerald. Tender Is the Night. Edited by Élisabeth Bouzonviller and Marie Agnès Gay. Paris: Editions Ellipses, 2022, 288 pp.. The F. Scott Fitzgerald Review. Penn State University Press. (20). 281-286.