Emil Fridolfsson teaches in the courses “Marine Ecology” and “Discovery of a Sustainable Baltic Sea”.
Emil Fridolfsson carries out research in aquatic ecology studying food web transfer of micronutrients.
Studies are carried out in both brackish and marine systems in temperate regions. Currently, he is focusing on the transfer of thiamin (vitamin B1) in the Baltic Sea food web. This micronutrient is produced by bacteria and phytoplankton and transferred via zooplankton to fish and birds. Several top predators are displaying symptoms of vitamin deficiency and the aim is to understand the basis of these environmental disturbances.
Thiamin content of common phytoplankton and zooplankton species and the transfer between them is investigated in experiments and field studies. The relationship between thiamin deficiency and underlying environmental factors is investigated using monitoring data.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Fridolfsson, E., Lindehoff, E., Legrand, C., Hylander, S. (2020). Species-specific content of thiamin (vitamin B1) in phytoplankton and the transfer to copepods. Journal of Plankton Research. 42. 274-285.
- Majaneva, S., Fridolfsson, E., Casini, M., Legrand, C., Lindehoff, E., et al. (2020). Deficiency syndromes in top predators associated with large-scale changes in the Baltic Sea ecosystem. PLoS ONE. 15. 1-21.
- Fridolfsson, E., Bunse, C., Legrand, C., Lindehoff, E., Majaneva, S., et al. (2019). Seasonal variation and species-specific concentrations of the essential vitamin B₁ (thiamin) in zooplankton and seston. Marine Biology. 166. 1-13.
- Bunse, C., Israelsson, S., Baltar, F., Bertos-Fortis, M., Fridolfsson, E., et al. (2019). High Frequency Multi-Year Variability in Baltic Sea Microbial Plankton Stocks and Activities. Frontiers in Microbiology. 9.
- Ejsmond, M.J., Blackburn, N., Fridolfsson, E., Haecky, P., Andersson, A., et al. (2019). Modeling vitamin B1 transfer to consumers in the aquatic food web. Scientific Reports. 9. 1-11.
- Fridolfsson, E., Lindehoff, E., Legrand, C., Hylander, S. (2018). Thiamin (vitamin B1) content in phytoplankton and zooplankton in the presence of filamentous cyanobacteria. Limnology and Oceanography. 63. 2423-2435.
- Legrand, C., Fridolfsson, E., Bertos-Fortis, M., Lindehoff, E., Larsson, P., et al. (2015). Interannual variability of phyto-bacterioplankton biomass and production in coastal and offshore waters of the Baltic Sea. Ambio. 44. S427-S438.
Report (Other academic)
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
Manuscript (preprint) (Other academic)
- Israelsson, S., Bunse, C., Baltar, F., Bertos-Fortis, M., Fridolfsson, E., et al. Seasonal dynamics of Baltic Sea plankton activities: heterotrophic bacterial function under different biological and environmental conditions.