Teaching in courses; Marine Ecology, Discovery of a Sustainable Baltic Sea
I am investigating the production and transportation of vitamins and pigments in the aquatic food web. Vitamins and pigments are produced by bacteria and phytoplankton and are essential for all organisms, even zooplankton and fish. My research is focused on bacteria, phytoplankton and zooplankton and I investigate differences in production and content of vitamins and pigments on temporal and spatial scales in the Baltic Sea and the Western Sea. To do this I use classic field sampling procedures as well as state-of-the-art techniques in the lab.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Fridolfsson, E., Bunse, C., Legrand, C., Lindehoff, E., Majaneva, S., et al. (2019). Seasonal variation and species-specific concentrations of the essential vitamin B₁ (thiamin) in zooplankton and seston. Marine Biology. 166. 1-13.
- Bunse, C., Israelsson, S., Baltar, F., Bertos-Fortis, M., Fridolfsson, E., et al. (2019). High Frequency Multi-Year Variability in Baltic Sea Microbial Plankton Stocks and Activities. Frontiers in Microbiology. 9.
- Ejsmond, M.J., Blackburn, N., Fridolfsson, E., Haecky, P., Andersson, A., et al. (2019). Modeling vitamin B1 transfer to consumers in the aquatic food web. Scientific Reports. 9. 1-11.
- Fridolfsson, E., Lindehoff, E., Legrand, C., Hylander, S. (2018). Thiamin (vitamin B1) content in phytoplankton and zooplankton in the presence of filamentous cyanobacteria. Limnology and Oceanography. 63. 2423-2435.
- Legrand, C., Fridolfsson, E., Bertos-Fortis, M., Lindehoff, E., Larsson, P., et al. (2015). Interannual variability of phyto-bacterioplankton biomass and production in coastal and offshore waters of the Baltic Sea. Ambio. 44. S427-S438.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
Manuscript (preprint) (Other academic)
- Majaneva, S., Fridolfsson, E., Casini, M., Legrand, C., Lindehoff, E., et al. Deficiency syndromes in top predators associated with large-scale changes in the Baltic Sea ecosystem.
- Fridolfsson, E., Lindehoff, E., Legrand, C., Hylander, S. Species-specific content of thiamin (vitamin B1) in phytoplankton and the transfer to copepods.
- Israelsson, S., Bunse, C., Baltar, F., Bertos-Fortis, M., Fridolfsson, E., et al. Seasonal dynamics of Baltic Sea plankton activities: heterotrophic bacterial function under different biological and environmental conditions.