My dissertation focuses on the death penalty in the U.S., with emphasis on legislative developments over time at state level. I am part of the research environment Varieties of Political Representation (VPR).
Selected for the 2019 inaugural class of Tom Carsey Scholars by the APSA State Politics and Policy Conference held at the University of Maryland.
I also conduct research on online communities, where I am particularly interested in understanding connections between technology, extremism and nihilism.
During 2016 I worked as a part-time research assistant on the project Decreased ideological polarization and conflict in Western Europe? (MIPOK), which is a collaboration between Linnaeus University and the University of Gothenburg, financed by the Swedish Research Council.
I have a master's degree in Political Science from the University of Gothenburg and master's degree in Peace Studies from the University of Bradford, UK. I also have a degree in Journalism from the University of Gothenburg, as well as a degree in Peace- and Conflict Studies from my alma mater, Umeå University.
Before embarking on my PhD studies, I worked as a paralegal at the Habeas Corpus Resource Center in San Francisco, serving indigent men and women under sentence of death in California.
I have taught on the following courses:
- Svensk och jämförande politik (Statsvetenskap I)
- Internationell politik (Statsvetenskap I)
- International Human Rights Law
- Human Rights in Historical, Philosophical and Theoretical Perspective
- European Human Rights Law
- The Law of Sustainable Development
- International Law
- Oral Presentation Skills
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ricknell, E. (2021). Same Procedure as Last Year? Patterns of Death Penalty Bill Introductions in the Era of Abolition 1999–2018. Studies in Law, Politics, and Society. 85. 1-26.
- Ricknell, E. (2020). Freedom of expression and alternatives for Internet governance : prospects and pitfalls. Media and Communication. 8. 110-120.
- Ricknell, E. (2019). “Is Sweden Finally Waking Up?” : Debating the 2018 Swedish National Election on 4chan. Statsvetenskaplig Tidskrift. 121. 441-463.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Ricknell, E. (2019). Transatlantic Ties in Turbulence : the Trump Presidency Test. The Swedish Network for European Studies Spring Conference 2019.
- Ricknell, E. (2019). Women State Legislators and the Death Penalty in the U.S.. The American Political Science Association State Politics and Policy Conference.
- Ricknell, E. (2019). Determinants of gubernatorial vetoes in the context of death penalty legislation. The 51st Annual Northeastern Political Science Association Conference.
- Fransson, S., Ricknell, E. (2017). Unlimited opportunities to resit examinations in higher education : patterns of use and underlying factors. .
Article in journal (Other academic)
- Ricknell, E. (2020). Spel framför substans : Journalistisk gestaltning i amerikanska och svenska medier under demokraternas primärval 2020. Statsvetenskaplig Tidskrift. 122. 109-126.
Conference paper (Other academic)
Chapter in book (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Ricknell, E. (2019). Det parallella livet online : Om nätgemenskap och destruktivitet i det dunkla. Medierna och det offentliga samtalet. Kalmar, Centrum för demokrati, journalistik och medier. 13-19.