Doctoral student in Maritime Science, enhancing energy efficiency in shipping. Research: I have studied waste heat recovery in ships. The studies are applied research with a marine engineerings approach. This means that I am focused in using operational data and results that can be applied directly. Background: I have been teaching the pumping technology course for the marine engineers since 2010. The course comprises basic knowledge in hydromechanics as well as choosing the right pump in a certain system. I started my career as an technical marine officer in the Swedish Royal Navy and I have sailed both submarines and corvettes.
My research groups and projects
Maritime science The research in maritime science includes at present: 1) working life, organisation and risk management, 2) the environmental effects of shipping and marine spatial planning, 3) energy…
Project: Energy Efficiency in Shipping The research in this project is conducted with an operational point of view, which means that using measured data from ships in operation is in focus. So far the …
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Mondejar, M.E., Ahlgren, F., Thern, M., Genrup, M. (2017). Quasi-steady state simulation of an organic Rankine cycle for waste heat recovery in a passenger vessel. Applied Energy. 185. 1324-1335.
- Ahlgren, F., Mondejar, M.E., Genrup, M., Thern, M. (2016). Waste Heat Recovery in a Cruise Vessel in the Baltic Sea by Using an Organic Rankine Cycle : A Case Study. Journal of engineering for gas turbines and power. 138.
- Baldi, F., Ahlgren, F., Melino, F., Gabrielii, C., Andersson, K. (2016). Optimal load allocation of complex ship power plants. Energy Conversion and Management. 124. 344-356.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Ahlgren, F., Thern, M. (2018). Auto Machine Learning for predicting Ship Fuel Consumption. Proceedings of ECOS 2018 - the 31st International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems.
- Baldi, F., Nguyen, T., Ahlgren, F. (2016). The application of process integration to the optimisation of cruise ship energy systems : a case study. ECOS 2016 : 29th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Envirionmental Impact of Energy Systems. June 19-23 2016.
- Mondejar, M.E., Ahlgren, F., Thern, M., Genrup, M. (2015). Study of the on-route operation of a waste heat recoverysystem in a passenger vessel. Clean, Efficient and Affordable Energy for a Sustainable Future. 1646-1653.
- Ahlgren, F., Mondejar, M.E., Genrup, M., Thern, M. (2015). Waste Heat Recovery in a Cruise Vessel in the Baltic Sea by Using an Organic Rankine Cycle : A Case Study. ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition : Volume 3: Coal, Biomass and Alternative Fuels; Cycle Innovations; Electric Power; Industrial and Cogeneration, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 15–19, 2015. 43392-43416.
- Ahlgren, F., Österman, C. (2015). A social sustainability perspective on an environmental intervention to reduce ship emissions. Creating Sustainable Work-environments : Proceedings of NES2015, Nordic Ergonomics Society 47th Annual Conference, 01-04 November 2015, Lillehammer, Norway. A4-12-A4-15.
- Baldi, F., Ahlgren, F., Nguyen, T., Gabrielii, C., Andersson, K. (2015). Energy and exergy analysis of a cruise ship. Proceedings of ECOS 2015 - the 28th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems.