Senior lecturer in Marine Engineering.
I started my career in the Royal Swedish Navy in 2001, and have sailed as a Marine Engineering officer on fast attack crafts, corvettes and submarines. During these years I have worked with gas turbines, diesel engines as well as battery electric propulsion. I live in Kalmar and have a wife and two kids. I have a keen interest in new technology and is also an amateur runner. In my spare time, when not running, I am always busy with hobby projects and reading books. Since 2016 I am the chairman of the Kalmar Secular Humanists, promoting a secular and scientific worldview.
I have been teaching the pumping technology course for the marine engineers since 2010. The course comprises basic knowledge in hydromechanics as well as choosing the right pump in a certain system.
I am also involved in developing IoT-courses for the electricial programme.
In my research I have studied energy efficiency in shipping.
The studies are about Organic Rankine cycles (ORC) and energy and exergy analysis, as well as machine learning (ML) methods for energy predictions. The research is an applied research with a marine engineerings approach. This means that I am focused on research based on operational data and results that can be applied on board.
My research groups and projects
Maritime science The research in maritime science includes at present: 1) working life, organisation and risk management, 2) the environmental effects of shipping and marine spatial planning, 3)…
Project: Energy Efficiency in Shipping The research in this project is conducted with an operational point of view, which means that using measured data from ships in operation is in focus. So far the…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Baldi, F., Ahlgren, F., Nguyen, T., Thern, M., Andersson, K. (2018). Energy and exergy analysis of a cruise ship. Energies. 11. 1-41.
- Mondejar, M.E., Ahlgren, F., Thern, M., Genrup, M. (2017). Quasi-steady state simulation of an organic Rankine cycle for waste heat recovery in a passenger vessel. Applied Energy. 185. 1324-1335.
- Ahlgren, F., Mondejar, M.E., Genrup, M., Thern, M. (2016). Waste Heat Recovery in a Cruise Vessel in the Baltic Sea by Using an Organic Rankine Cycle : A Case Study. Journal of engineering for gas turbines and power. 138.
- Baldi, F., Ahlgren, F., Melino, F., Gabrielii, C., Andersson, K. (2016). Optimal load allocation of complex ship power plants. Energy Conversion and Management. 124. 344-356.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Ahlgren, F., Mondejar, M.E., Thern, M. (2019). Predicting dynamic fuel oil consumption on ships with automated machine learning. Innovative Solutions for Energy Transitions : Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2018). 6126-6131.
- Ahlgren, F., Thern, M. (2018). Auto Machine Learning for predicting Ship Fuel Consumption. Proceedings of ECOS 2018 - the 31st International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems.
- Baldi, F., Nguyen, T., Ahlgren, F. (2016). The application of process integration to the optimisation of cruise ship energy systems : a case study. ECOS 2016 : 29th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Envirionmental Impact of Energy Systems. June 19-23 2016.
- Baldi, F., Ahlgren, F., Nguyen, T., Gabrielii, C., Andersson, K. (2015). Energy and exergy analysis of a cruise ship. Proceedings of ECOS 2015 - the 28th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems.
- Ahlgren, F., Mondejar, M.E., Genrup, M., Thern, M. (2015). Waste Heat Recovery in a Cruise Vessel in the Baltic Sea by Using an Organic Rankine Cycle : A Case Study. ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition : Volume 3: Coal, Biomass and Alternative Fuels; Cycle Innovations; Electric Power; Industrial and Cogeneration, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 15–19, 2015. 43392-43416.
- Ahlgren, F., Österman, C. (2015). A social sustainability perspective on an environmental intervention to reduce ship emissions. Creating Sustainable Work-environments : Proceedings of NES2015, Nordic Ergonomics Society 47th Annual Conference, 01-04 November 2015, Lillehammer, Norway. A4-12-A4-15.
- Mondejar, M.E., Ahlgren, F., Thern, M., Genrup, M. (2015). Study of the on-route operation of a waste heat recoverysystem in a passenger vessel. Clean, Efficient and Affordable Energy for a Sustainable Future. 1646-1653.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ahlgren, F., Thern, M., Genrup, M., Mondejar, M.E. (2018). Energy integration of organic rankine cycle, exhaust gas recirculation and scrubber. Trends and challenges in maritime energy management. Cham, Switzerland, Springer. 157-168.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Ahlgren, F. (2018). Reducing ships' fuel consumption and emissions by learning from data. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 204.