I'm a human factors expert currently employed as postdoctoral fellow in Maritime Science with focus on working life,organization and risk management.
I have a background in Cognitive Science (MSc degree) and a PhD in Shipping and Marine Technology (Maritime Human Factors).
In my research work I try to understand how safety arises in everyday operations in large-scale socio-technical systems and what can be done to design and support work environments that promote operator well-being and optimize system performance. I therefore apply concepts from Cognitive Systems Engineering, Resilience Engineering and Human-centered Design to understand the interplay between human operators, organisational settings and technology.
You can learn more about my research in a film made by the Swedish maritime competence centre Lighthouse.
My research groups and projects
Maritime science The research in maritime science includes at present: 1) working life, organisation and risk management, 2) the environmental effects of shipping and marine spatial planning, 3) energy…
Project: Design of a safe work environment in the maritime domain The project analyzes safety and resilience in everyday work in the maritime domain. The aim is to develop methods to visualize and desi…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Kataria, A., Holder, E.H., Praetorius, G., Baldauf, M., Schröder-Hinrichs, J. (2015). Exploring Bridge-Engine Control Room Collaborative Team Communication. TransNav, International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation. 9. 169-176.
- Praetorius, G., Kataria, A., Petersen, E., Schröder-Hinrichs, J., Baldauf, M., et al. (2015). Increased Awareness for Maritime Human Factors through e-learning in Crew-centered Design. Procedia Manufacturing. 3. 2824-2831.
- Praetorius, G., Hollnagel, E., Dahlman, J. (2015). Modelling Vessel Traffic Service to understand resilience in everyday operations. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. 141. 10-21.
- van Westrenen, F., Praetorius, G. (2014). Maritime traffic management : a need for central coordination?. Cognition, Technology & Work. 16. 59-70.
- van Westrenen, F., Praetorius, G. (2014). Situation awareness and maritime traffic : having awareness or being in control?. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science. 15. 161-180.
- Praetorius, G., Hollnagel, E. (2014). Control and Resilience Within the Maritime Traffic Management Domain. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making. 8. 303-317.
- Porathe, T., Lützhöft, M., Praetorius, G. (2013). Communicating intended routes in ECDIS : Evaluating technological change. Accident Analysis and Prevention. 60. 366-370.
- Praetorius, G., Lützhöft, M. (2012). Decision support for vessel traffic service (VTS) : user needs for dynamic risk management in the VTS. Work : A journal of Prevention, Assesment and rehabilitation. 41. 4866-4872.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Schröder-Hinrichs, J., Graziano, A., Praetorius, G., Kataria, A. (2017). TRACEr-MAR : applying TRACEr in a maritime context. Risk, Reliability and Safety : Innovating Theory and Practice : Proceedings of the 26th European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2016, Glasgow, Scotland, 25-29 September 2016. 120-126.
- Praetorius, G., Österman, C., Hult, C. (2017). Underlying Causes of and Potential Measures to Reduce Long-term Sick Leave Among Employees in the Service Department on Board Swedish Passenger Vessels. Safety of Sea Transportation : Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation (TransNav 2017), June 21-23, 2017, Gdynia, Poland. 287-293.
- Praetorius, G., Graziano, A., Schröder-Hinrichs, J., Baldauf, M. (2017). FRAM in FSA : Introducing a Function-Based Approach to the Formal Safety Assessment Framework. Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation : Proceedings of the AHFE 2016 International Conference on Human Factors in Transportation, July 27-31, 2016, Walt Disney World®, Florida, USA. 399-411.
- Österman, C., Praetorius, G., Hult, C. (2017). Work environment challenges and participatory workplace interventions on passenger ships. Proceedings of the 49th Nordic Ergonomics Society (NES) Conference Joy at Work. 452-459.
- Schröder-Hinrichs, J., Praetorius, G., Graziano, A., Kataria, A., Baldauf, M. (2016). Introducing the Concept of Resilience into Maritime Safety. Proceedings : 6th Symposium on Resilience Engineering : Managing resilience, learning to be adaptable and proactive in an unpredictable world. 22th-25th June 2015 at Lisbon, Portugal. 176-182.
- Klomp, R., Borst, C., Mulder, M., Praetorius, G. (2014). Ecological interface design : Control space robustness in future trajectory-based Air Traffic control decision support. 2014 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC) : October 5-8, 2014 San Diego, CA, USA. 329-334.
- Kataria, A., Praetorius, G. (2014). On common ground at sea : The proactive negotiation for channel navigation. Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation : Part I. 222-230.
- Klomp, R., Borst, C., Mulder, M., Praetorius, G., Mooij, M., et al. (2013). Experimental Evaluation of a Joint Cognitive System for 4D Trajectory Management. Proceedings of the SESAR Innovation Days (2013). 1-7.
- Praetorius, G., Lundh, M. (2013). “Under Dangerous Conditions” : Safety Construction and Safety-Related Work Onboard of Merchant Vessels. Proceedings, 5th Symposium on Resilience Engineering. Managing Trade-offs : 24th-27th June 2013 at Soesterberg, The Netherlands. 61-66.
- Praetorius, G., van Westrenen, F., Mitchell, D.L., Hollnagel, E. (2012). Learning lessons in resilient traffic management : A cross-domain study of Vessel Traffic Service and Air Traffic Control. Human Factors : a view from an integrative perspective : Proceedings HFES Europe Chapter Conference Toulouse 2012. 277-287.
- Porathe, T., Lützhöft, M., Praetorius, G. (2012). What is your Intention? Communicating Routes in Electronic Nautical Charts. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences : Transport Research Arena 2012. 3266-3273.
- Praetorius, G., Lützhöft, M. (2011). "Safety is everywhere" : The Constituents of Maritime Safety. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 55th Annual Meeting 2011 : Volume 55, Issue 1. 1798-1802.
- Praetorius, G., Bruno, K., Lützhöft, M. (2010). Enacting Reliability : First steps to define safety in the VTS domain. Proceedings of the International Conference on Human Performance at Sea, HPAS 2010.
- Praetorius, G., Lützhöft, M., Bruno, K. (2010). The context matters : Maritime safety in the Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) Domain. Reliability, Risk and Safety - Back to the Future : Proceedings and Monographs in Engineering, Water and Earth Sciences, ESREL 2010, September 15, 2010, Rhodes, Greece. 1773-1780.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Praetorius, G., Kataria, A. (2016). Resilience and complexity in a maritime service supply chain's everyday operation. Service Supply Chain Systems : A Systems Engineering Approach. London, CRC Press. 121-137.
Report (Other academic)
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Praetorius, G. (2014). Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) : a maritime information service or traffic control system? : understanding everyday performance and resilience in a socio-technical system under change. Doctoral Thesis. Göteborg, Chalmers tekniska högskola.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Huzzard, T., Karlsson, J.C., Mulinari, P., Praetorius, G., Sandberg, Å. (2017). Utforska ohälsans orsaker. Upsala Nya Tidning (UNT).
- Sandberg, Å., Sjöström, J., Hult, C., Praetorius, G., Walldius, Å., et al. (2016). Prioritera forskning om att organisera för hälsa i arbetet. Universitetsläraren.