I'm mainly interested in computational social sciences with applications on environmental issues. Besides data (and big data) analysis, I'm especially fascinated in two research approaches: (1) the use of experimental methods in the study of social mechanisms, with a specific reference to social dilemma situations; (2) the application of agent-based modelling to analyse social and social-ecological system. These different approaches can be used in isolation or, better, combined to reach a better understanding of the problem under consideration.
A short list of my research interests covers:
• environmental sustainability
• common-pool resource management
• social-ecological systems
• collective action problems
• computational social sciences
Film: Giangiacomo Bravo about how migration and conflict are linked to the lack of natural resources. The research shows that conflicts were common when we lived as hunter gatherers in South America.
My research groups and projects
Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications The DISA research centre at Linnaeus University focuses its efforts on open questions in collection, analysis and utilization of …
Computational Social Sciences The research in the area Computational Social Sciences within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) is about producing and analyzi…
Project: Modelling institutional dynamics in historical commons (MIDI) The MIDI project adopts an interdisciplinary perspective to contribute empirically-grounded and systematic knowledge of the mechan…
Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics The research area Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) works with the detectio…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Farjam, M., Nikolaychuk, O., Bravo, G. (2019). Investing into climate change mitigation despite the risk of failure. Climatic Change. 154. 453-460.
- Pardalis, G., Mahapatra, K., Bravo, G., Mainali, B. (2019). Swedish House Owners’ Intentions Towards Renovations : Is there a Market for One-Stop-Shop?. Buildings. 9.
- Bravo, G., Pardalis, G., Mahapatra, K., Mainali, B. (2019). Physical vs. Aesthetic Renovations : Learning from Swedish House Owners. Buildings. 9.
- Drvenica, I., Bravo, G., Vejmelka, L., Dekanski, A., Nedić, O. (2018). Peer review of reviewers : the author’s perspective. Publications. 7. 1-10.
- Bravo, G., Yantseva, V. (2018). Cooperation and conflict in segregated populations. Social science computer review. 1-17.
- Takács, K., Bravo, G., Squazzoni, F. (2018). Referrals and information flow in networks increase discrimination : A laboratory experiment. Social Networks. 54. 254-265.
- Farjam, M., Nikolaychuk, O., Bravo, G. (2018). Does risk communication really decrease cooperation in climate change mitigation?. Climatic Change. 149. 147-158.
- Bianchi, F., Francisco, G., Bravo, G., Flaminio, S. (2018). The peer review game : an agent-based model of scientists facing resource constraints and institutional pressures. Scientometrics. 116. 1401-1420.
- Bravo, G., Farjam, M., Moreno, F.G., Birukou, A., Squazzoni, F. (2018). Hidden connections : Network effects on editorial decisions in four computer science journals. Journal of Informetrics. 12. 101-112.
- Bravo, G., Farjam, M. (2017). Prospects and Challenges for the Computational Social Sciences. Journal of universal computer science (Online). 23. 1057-1069.
- Rosenlund, J., Notini, P., Bravo, G. (2017). Exploring attitudes to societal relevance : the effects of reflection on research practices among Swedish environmental scientists. Journal of Responsible Innovation. 4. 337-353.
- Ghorbani, A., Bravo, G., Frey, U., Theesfeld, I. (2017). Self-organization in the commons : An empirically-tested model. Environmental Modelling & Software. 96. 30-45.
- Gargano, F., Tamburino, L., Bagarello, F., Bravo, G. (2017). Large-scale effects of migration and conflict in pre-agricultural groups: Insights from a dynamic model. PLoS ONE. 12.
- Natalini, D., Bravo, G., Jones, A.W. (2017). Global food security and food riots : an agent-based modelling approach. Food Security.
- Ghorbani, A., Bravo, G. (2016). Managing the Commons : A Simple Model of the Emergence of Institutions Through Collective Action. International Journal of the Commons. 10. 200-219.
- Bravo, G. (2015). The human sustainable development index: The 2014 update. Ecological Indicators. 50. 258-259.
- Natalini, D., Jones, A.W., Bravo, G. (2015). Quantitative Assessment of Political Fragility Indices and Food Prices as Indicators of Food Riots in Countries. Sustainability. 7. 4360-4385.
- Bravo, G., Squazzoni, F., Takács, K. (2015). Intermediaries in Trust : Indirect Reciprocity, Incentives, and Norms. Journal of Applied Mathematics. 2015. 1-12.
- Natalini, D., Bravo, G. (2014). Encouraging Sustainable Transport Choices in American Households: Results from an Empirically Grounded Agent-Based Model. Sustainability. 6. 50-69.
- Garbarini, F., Riccardo, B., Francesco, D., Bravo, G., Cristina, M., et al. (2014). Neural Correlates of Gender Differences in Reputation Building. PLoS ONE. 9. e106285.
- Bravo, G. (2014). The Human Sustainable Development Index: New calculations and a first critical analysis. Ecological Indicators. 37. 145-150.
- Squazzoni, F., Bravo, G., Takács, K. (2013). Does incentive provision increase the quality of peer review? An experimental study. Research Policy. 42. 287-294.
- Bravo, G., Squazzoni, F. (2013). Exit, punishment and rewards in commons dilemmas : An experimental study. PLoS ONE. 8.
- Tamburino, L., Bravo, G. (2013). Mice in Wonderforest: Understanding mast seeding through individual-based modelling. Ecological Modelling. 250. 34-44.
- Bravo, G., Vallino, E., Cerutti, A.K., Pairotti, M.B. (2013). Alternative scenarios of green consumption in Italy : An empirically grounded model. Environmental Modelling & Software. 47. 225-234.
- Casnici, N., Bravo, G., Castellani, M., Squazzoni, F. (2012). Cooperazione, ﬁducia e differenze digenere: un’indagine cross-metodologica. Rassegna italiana di sociologia. 53. 573-600.
- Bravo, G., Squazzoni, F., Boero, R. (2012). Trust and Partner Selection in Social Networks: An Experimentally Grounded Model. Social Networks. 34. 481-492.
- Bravo, G. (2012). Working together : II framework dei commons e le basi del suo successo. Culture della sostenibilità. 5. 139-148.
- Bravo, G. (2011). Agents’ beliefs and the evolution of institutions for common-pool resource management. Rationality and Society. 23. 117-152.
- Bravo, G., Tamburino, L. (2011). Are two resources really better than one? : Some unexpected results of the availability of substitutes. Journal of Environmental Management. 92. 2865-2874.
- Boero, R., Bravo, G., Castellani, M., Squazzoni, F. (2010). Why Bother with What Others Tell You? : An Experimental Data-Driven Agent-Based Model. JASSS : Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 13. Article ID: 6.
- Bravo, G. (2010). Voluntary contribution to public goods in mutual-help forums : reciprocity or group attachment?. Socio-Economic Review. 8. 709-733.
- Boero, R., Bravo, G., Castellani, M., Squazzoni, F. (2009). Reputational cues in repeated trust games. The Journal of Socio-Economics. 38. 871-877.
- Boero, R., Bravo, G., Castellani, M., Lagana, F., Squazzoni, F. (2009). Pillars of Trust : An Experimental Study on Reputation and Its Effects. Sociological research online. 14. Article ID: 5.
- Bravo, G. (2008). Imitation and Cooperation in Different Helping Games. JASSS : Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 11. Article ID: 8.
- Bravo, G., Marelli, B. (2008). Irrigation systems as common-pool resources : Examples from Northern Italy. La Revue de Geographie Alpine. 96. 15-26.
- Bravo, G., Tamburino, L. (2008). The evolution of trust in non-simultaneous exchange situations. Rationality and Society. 20. 85-113.
- Bagliani, M., Bravo, G., Dalmazzone, S. (2008). A consumption-based approach to environmental Kuznets curves using the ecological footprint indicator. Ecological Economics. 65. 650-661.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Farjam, M., Nikolaychuk, O., Bravo, G. (2019). Experimental evidence of an attitude-behaviour gap forclimate change mitigation in high cost conditions. .
- Bravo, G. (2014). The Dangers Of Ethnocentrism. Proceedings of the 28th European Conference on Modelling and Simulation. 39-62.
- Bravo, G. (2009). Alle radici dello sviluppo insostenibile : Un’analisi degli effetti ambientali di società,istituzioni ed economia. Roma, Aracne editrice.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Bravo, G. (2018). The Human Sustainable Development Index. Routledge Handbook of Sustainability Indicators. Abingdon, Oxon, Routledge. 284-293.
- Takács, K., Squazzoni, F., Bravo, G., Castellani, M. (2014). Employer Networks, Priming, and Discrimination in Hiring : An Experiment. Analytical Sociology : Actions and Networks. John Wiley & Sons. 373-396.
- Bravo, G. (2010). Azione umana e limiti dello sviluppo. Le sfide della sostenibilità : risorse ambientali, qualità sociale e partecipazione pubblica. Roma, Aracne editrice. 13-34.
Collection (editor) (Refereed)
- Bertacchini, E., Bravo, G., Marrelli, M., Santagata, W. (2012). Cultural Commons : A New Perspective on the Production and Evolution of Cultures. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 259.
- Bravo, G., de Moor, T. (2008). International Journal of the Commons, vol 2(2, Special issue) : The Commons in Europe: from past to future. Utrecht, Igitur, Utrecht Publishing & Archiving Services.
Article, review/survey (Refereed)
- Bravo, G., Grimaldo, F., Lopez-Inesta, E., Mehmani, B., Squazzoni, F. (2019). The effect of publishing peer review reports on referee behavior in five scholarly journals. Nature Communications. Nature Publishing Group. 10.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Bravo, G. (2012). Cultural commons and cultural evolution. Cultural Commons : A New Perspective on the Production and Evolution of Cultures. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 36-57.
- Bertacchini, E., Bravo, G., Marrelli, M., Santagata, W. (2012). Defining cultural commons. Cultural Commons : A NewPerspective on the Production and Evolution of Cultures. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 3-18.
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Bravo, G. (2014). [ Review of ] Anderies, John M. and Marco A. Janssen (2013). Sustaining the Commons. Center for the Study of Institutional Diversity, Arizona State University. International Journal of the Commons. 8. 259-260.
- Bravo, G. (2014). Empirical Agent-Based Modelling - Challenges and Solutions : Volume 1, the Characterisation and Parameterisation of Empirical Agent-Based Models : Smajgl, Alexander and Barreteau, Olivier (eds.). JASSS : Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 17.
- Bravo, G. (2013). Book review: Cronk, Lee and Beth L. Leech (2012). Meeting at Grand Central: Understanding the Social and Evolutionary Roots of Cooperation.. International Journal of the Commons. 7. 232-233.
- Bravo, G. (2012). Book review: Phillip Bonacich and Philip Lu. 2012. Introduction to MathematicalSociology. JASSS : Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 15.