Gilbert Ambrazaitis is a senior lecturer in Swedish as a second language with a backgroud in Phonetics (M.A. in Phonetics and digital speech processing, 2004; PhD in Phonetics, 2010).
He is associated with the Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies (IMS) and with the Educational Linguistics research group. He is also currently leading an externally funded project (Riksbankens Jubileumsfond), and is involved in another ongoing externally funded project at KTH, Stockholm (Swedish Research Council).
Gilbert's work has a strong focus on basic research in Phonetics, concentrating mainly on prosody - the melody and rhythm of speech. His current research is specializing on the multimodal nature of prosody on the one hand (i.e. the interaction between voice and bodily movements) and on children's acquisition of contrastive intonation on the other hand.
Gilbert teaches Phonetics and pronunciation teaching at basic level in Swedish as a second langauge. He also supervises at basic and advanced level.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ambrazaitis, G., House, D. (2017). Multimodal prominences : Exploring the patterning and usage of focal pitch accents, head beats and eyebrow beats in Swedish television news readings. Speech Communication. 95. 100-113.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Kelterer, A., Ambrazaitis, G., House, D. (2018). Head beats as pitch-accompanying visual correlates of primary and secondary lexical stress : Evidence from Stockholm Swedish compounds. Proc. TAL2018, Sixth International Symposium on Tonal Aspects of Languages. 124-128.
- Svensson Lundmark, M., Ambrazaitis, G., Ewald, O. (2017). Exploring multidimensionality : acoustic and articulatory correlates of Swedish word accents. Interspeech 2017 : 20-24 August 2017, Stockholm. 3236-3240.
- Ambrazaitis, G., House, D. (2017). Multimodal prominences : How eyebrow and head beats are combined with pitch accents to encode information structure in Swedish news readings. The 6th conference of the Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition : Book of abstracts. 21-22.
- Ambrazaitis, G., House, D. (2017). Acoustic features of multimodal prominences: Do visual beat gestures affect verbal pitch accent realization?. The 14th International Conference on Auditory-Visual Speech Processing (AVSP2017).
- Frid, J., Ambrazaitis, G., Svensson Lundmark, M., House, D. (2017). Towards classification of head movements in audiovisual recordings of read news. Proceedings of the 4th European and 7th Nordic Symposium on Multimodal Communication (MMSYM 2016) : Copenhagen, 29-30 September 2016. 4-9.
- Ambrazaitis, G., House, D. (2016). Multimodal levels of prominence : the use of eyebrows and head beats to convey information structure in Swedish news reading. ISGS Conference 2016. Gesture, Creativity, Multimodality : Book of abstracts. 319-319.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Karlsson, A. (2016). The prosody of topics in two varieties of Swedish : Effects of contrast and referential status. Presented at TIE2016, the 7th Conference on Tone and Intonation in Europe : Canterbury, UK, September 1-3, 2016.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Svensson Lundmark, M., House, D. (2015). Head beats and eyebrow movements as a function of phonological prominence levels and word accents in Stockholm Swedish news broadcasts. Presented at MMSYM 2015, The 3rd European Symposium on Multimodal Communication : Dublin, Ireland, September 17-18, 2015.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Svensson Lundmark, M., House, D. (2015). Head Movements, Eyebrows, and Phonological Prosodic Prominence Levels in Stockholm Swedish News Broadcasts. FAAVSP 2015. The 1st Joint Conference on Facial Analysis, Animation, and Auditory-Visual Speech Processing : Kardinal König Haus, 11 – 13 September 2015, Vienna, Austria. 42-42.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Buanzur, T.C., Niebuhr, O. (2015). Focal F0 peak shape and sentence mode in Swedish. Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Frid, J. (2014). F0 peak timing, height, and shape as independent features. TAL 2014. The 4th International Symposium on Tonal Aspects of Languages : Nijmegen, The Netherlands, May 13-16, 2014. 138-142.
- Ambrazaitis, G. (2010). Revisiting intonational pitch accents in Swedish : Evidence from lexical accent neutralization. Presented at TIE4. The Fourth European Conference on Tone and Intonation : September 9-11, 2010. Stockholm University, Campus Frescati. 69-70.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Niebuhr, O. (2008). Dip and hat pattern : a phonological contrast of German?. Speech Prosody 2008, Fourth International Conference : Campinas, Brazil, May 6-9, 2008. 269-272.
- Ambrazaitis, G. (2007). Expressing 'confirmation' in Swedish : The interplay of word and utterance prosody. Proceedings of the 16th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. 1093-1096.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ambrazaitis, G., Carling, G. (2014). The sounds of a mixed language. Scandoromani : Remnants of a Mixed Language. Leiden & Boston, Brill Academic Publishers. 24-63.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Frid, J., Bruce, G. (2012). Revisiting South and Central Swedish intonation from a comparative and functional perspective. Understanding Prosody : The role of context, function and communication. Berlin & Boston, Walter de Gruyter. 135-158.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Ambrazaitis, G., Svensson Lundmark, M., House, D. (2015). Multimodal levels of prominence : A preliminary analysis of head and eyebrow movements in Swedish news broadcasts. Proceedings from Fonetik 2015 : Lund, June 8–10, 2015. 11-16.
- Botinis, A., Ambrazaitis, G., Frid, J. (2014). Syllable structure and tonal representation : Revisiting focal Accent II in Swedish. Proceedings from FONETIK 2014. Stockholm, June 9-11, 2014 : PERILUS XXIV, June 2014. 65-70.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Frid, J. (2013). On the Intonation of Confirmations in Southern Swedish. Nordic Prosody : Proceedings of the XIth Conference, Tartu 2012. 87-96.
- Ambrazaitis, G., Frid, J. (2012). The prosody of contrastive topics in Southern Swedish. Proceedings from FONETIK 2012. 1-4.
- Frid, J., Ambrazaitis, G. (2010). Automatic estimation of pitch range through distribution fitting. Proceedings from FONETIK 2010. 41-46.
Conference proceedings (editor) (Other academic)
- Svensson Lundmark, M., Ambrazaitis, G., van de Weijer, J. (2015). Proceedings from Fonetik 2015 : Lund, June 8–10, 2015. Lund, Centre for Languages and Literature, Lund University. 106.