I am studying ecological and evolutionary processes that affect community structure and dynamics. My study system consists of microbial communities associated with the body surface of fish. First, I will study patterns of natural variation in microbial communities associated with fish. Samples collected from wild fish populations will be used to compare community structure and diversity in bacterial communities among different species of fish. Next, I will perform experimental manipulations in the field and laboratory to evaluate what factors that impact community structure and evolution of the microbial communities existing on the surface of fish.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Nordahl, O., Tibblin, P., Koch-Schmidt, P., Berggren, H., Larsson, P., et al. (2018). Sun-basking fish benefit from body temperatures that are higher than ambient water. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. 285.
- Forsman, A., Berggren, H. (2017). Can spatial sorting associated with spawning migration explain evolution of body size and vertebral number in Anguilla eels?. Ecology and Evolution. 7. 751-761.
- Tibblin, P., Berggren, H., Nordahl, O., Larsson, P., Forsman, A. (2016). Causes and consequences of intra-specific variation in vertebral number. Scientific Reports. 6.
- Tinnert, J., Berggren, H., Forsman, A. (2016). Population-specific effects of interbreeding and admixture on reproductive decisions and offspring quality. Annales Zoologici Fennici. 53. 55-68.
- Berggren, H., Nordahl, O., Tibblin, P., Larsson, P., Forsman, A. (2016). Testing for local adaptation to spawning habitat in sympatric subpopulations of northern pike by reciprocal translocation of embryos. PLoS ONE. 11.
- Berggren, H., Tinnert, J., Forsman, A. (2012). Spatial sorting may explain evolutionary dynamics of wing polymorphism in pygmy grasshoppers.. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 25. 2126-2138.
Article, review/survey (Refereed)
- Forsman, A., Berggren, H., Åström, M.E., Larsson, P. (2016). To what extent can existing research help project climate change impacts on biodiversity in aquatic environments? : A review of methodological approaches. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 4.
- Forsman, A., Tibblin, P., Berggren, H., Nordahl, O., Koch-Schmidt, P., et al. (2015). Pike Esox lucius as an emerging model organism for studies in ecology and evolutionary biology: a review.. Journal of Fish Biology. 87. 472-479.