I’m an associate professor in marine ecology. I have a PhD in microbiology and an engineering degree from Chalmers University of Technology in Biotechnology. I study phytoplankton and bacteria with a focus on microbial diversity, distribution and functionality. In my research I use traditional microbial methods in combination with in situ studies and molecular methods. I am particularly interested in genetic microdiversity within microbial lineages and their consequences for ecosystem functioning.
I teach in a number of microbiology and marine ecology courses within the BSc program in biology and the MSc program in aquatic ecology. I supervise first, second, and third level thesis students.
My research interests are within aquatic microbial ecology with a focus on microbial diversity and functionality. I study phytoplankton and bacteria interactions with a focus on processes such as carbon and nitrogen fixation. My current research is focusing on microdiversity and econiches of Synechococcus sublineages.
Swedish Institute for the Marine Environment (Environmental analyst 10%)
Research group and projects
Marine microbiology The research group Marine microbiology carries out research on the biodiversity, ecology, physiology, genomics and genetics of marine bacteria.
Marine phytoplankton ecology and applications (MPEA) Our research team works within the complex and fascinating world of phytoplankton, and studies the role of bio- and chemical interactions among…
Project: Constraining past variations in the global biogeochemical silica cycle Silica biomineralization in the oceans has affected evolutionary competition for dissolved Si, and this has resulted in…
Project: Kalmarsund Station (K-station) The Kalmarsund Station (K-station) is a coastal sampling station that is used to study the ecology and seasonal dynamics of phytoplankton in the Baltic Sea. The…
Project: Picocyanobacteria, significant primary producers but largely overlooked players in coastal waters Tiny single-celled photosynthetic bacteria, picocyanobacteria, contribute significantly to…
Project: Transfer of thiamin in the microbial food web (MicroThi) Thiamin (vitamin B1) deficiency cause behavioural and reproductive disorders leading to mortality in fish and birds. The aim of the…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Del Carmen Munoz-Marin, M., Shilova, I.N., Shi, T., Farnelid, H., Maria Cabello, A., et al. (2019). The Transcriptional Cycle Is Suited to Daytime N2 Fixation in the Unicellular Cyanobacterium “Candidatus Atelocyanobacterium thalassa” (UCYN-A). mBio. 10. 1-17.
- Sörenson, E., Bertos-Fortis, M., Farnelid, H., Kremp, A., Kruget, K., et al. (2019). Consistency in microbiomes in cultures of Alexandrium species isolated from brackish and marine waters. Environmental Microbiology Reports. 11. 425-433.
- Farnelid, H., Turk-Kubo, K., Ploug, H., Ossolinski, J.E., Collins, J.R., et al. (2019). Diverse diazotrophs are present on sinking particles in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. The ISME Journal. 13. 170-182.
- Cornejo-Castillo, F.M., Del Carmen Munoz-Marin, M., Turk-Kubo, K.A., Royo-Llonch, M., Farnelid, H., et al. (2019). UCYN-A3, a newly characterized open ocean sublineage of the symbiotic N2-fixing cyanobacterium Candidatus Atelocyanobacterium thalassa. Environmental Microbiology. 21. 111-124.
- Turk-Kubo, K.A., Connell, P., Caron, D., Hogan, M.E., Farnelid, H., et al. (2018). In Situ Diazotroph Population Dynamics Under Different Resource Ratios in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. Frontiers in Microbiology. 9.
- Turk-Kubo, K.A., Farnelid, H., Shilova, I.N., Henke, B., Zehr, J.P. (2017). Distinct ecological niches of marine symbiotic N2-fixing cyanobacterium Candidatus Atelocyanobacterium thalassa sublineages. Journal of Phycology. 53. 451-461.
- Zehr, J.P., Shilova, I.N., Farnelid, H., Muñoz-Marín, M.D.C., Turk-Kubo, K.A. (2017). Unusual marine unicellular symbiosis with the nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium UCYN-A. Nature Microbiology. 2. 1-10.
- Farnelid, H., Turk-Kubo, K.A., Zehr, J.P. (2016). Identification of Associations between Bacterioplankton and Photosynthetic Picoeukaryotes in Coastal Waters. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7.
- Bertos-Fortis, M., Farnelid, H., Lindh, M.V., Casini, M., Andersson, A., et al. (2016). Unscrambling Cyanobacteria Community Dynamics Related to Environmental Factors. Frontiers in Microbiology. 7.
- Bentzon-Tilia, M., Farnelid, H., Jürgens, K., Riemann, L. (2014). Cultivation and isolation of N2-fixing bacteria from suboxic waters in the Baltic Sea. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 88. 358-371.
- Farnelid, H., Harder, J., Bentzon-Tilia, M., Riemann, L. (2014). Isolation of heterotrophic diazotrophic bacteria from estuarine surface waters. Environmental Microbiology. 16. 3072-3082.
- Farnelid, H., Bentzon-Tilia, M., Andersson, A.F., Bertilsson, S., Jost, G., et al. (2013). Active nitrogen-fixing heterotrophic bacteria at and below the chemocline of the central Baltic Sea. The ISME Journal. 7. 1413-1423.
- Alonso-Saéz, L., Waller, A.S., Mende, D.R., Bakker, K., Farnelid, H., et al. (2012). Role for urea in nitrification by polar marine Archaea. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 109. 17989-17994.
- Farnelid, H., Andersson, A.F., Bertilsson, S., Al-Soud, W.A., Hansen, L.H., et al. (2011). Nitrogenase gene amplicons from global marine surface waters are dominated by genes of non-cyanobacteria. PLoS ONE. 6. e19223.
- Riemann, L., Farnelid, H., Steward, G.F. (2010). Nitrogenase genes in non-cyanobacterial plankton : prevalence, diversity and regulation in marine waters. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 61. 225-237.
- Farnelid, H., Tarangkoon, W., Hansen, G., Hansen, P.J., Riemann, L. (2010). Putative N-2-fixing heterotrophic bacteria associated with dinoflagellate-Cyanobacteria consortia in the low-nitrogen Indian Ocean. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 61. 105-117.
- Farnelid, H., Öberg, T., Riemann, L. (2009). Identity and dynamics of putative N-2-fixing picoplankton in the Baltic Sea proper suggest complex patterns of regulation. Environmental Microbiology Reports. 1. 145-154.
Article, review/survey (Refereed)
- Farnelid, H., Turk-Kubo, K., Del Carmen Munoz-Marin, M., Zehr, J.P. (2016). New insights into the ecology of the globally significant uncultured nitrogen-fixing symbiont UCYN-A. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 77. 125-138.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Farnelid, H., Riemann, L. (2008). Heterotrophic N2-fixing bacteria: overlooked in the marine nitrogen cycle?. Nitrogen Fixation Research Progress. New York, Nova Science Publishers. 409-423.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Farnelid, H. (2013). Distribution and activity of nitrogen-fixing bacteria in marine and estuarine waters. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Kalmar, Linnaeus University Press.