The two main areas of my research are European Union politics and public administration. In particular I am interested EU agencies and their role in EU governance, border management policies of the EU, fundamental rights, and ethics management in public organisations. In addition to this, I have a developing interest in the didactics of social science teaching.
My teaching interests include European studies, public administration, human rights, and social science for students aiming to become teachers. Prior to teaching in Sweden, I taught in the United Kingdom and I am an Associate Fellow of the British Higher Education Academy.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ekelund, H. (2014). The Establishment of FRONTEX: A New Institutionalist Approach. Journal of European Integration. 36. 99-116.
- Ekelund, H. (2012). Making Sense of the ‘Agency Programme’ in post-Lisbon Europe: Mapping European Agencies. Central European Journal of Public Policy. 6. 26-49.
Conference paper (Refereed)
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ekelund, H. (2019). Europe 2020, EU agencies and political entrepreneurship. Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Growth : Political Entrepreneurship for a Prosperous Europe. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 109-126.
- Ekelund, H. (2019). 'Normative Power Frontex?' Assessing agency cooperation with third countries. The External Dimension of EU Agencies and Bodies : Law and Policy. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 79-99.
- Ekelund, H. (2015). Institutionalist Approaches to Agency Establishment. The European Defence Agency : Arming Europe. Abingdon, Routledge. 11-26.
- Ekelund, H. (2017). Normative Power FRONTEX? Assessing Agency Cooperation with Third Countries. Oslo, ARENA Centre for European Studies, University of Oslo. 22.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Ekelund, H. (2010). The agencification of Europe: explaining the establishment of European Community agencies. Doctoral Thesis. The University of Nottingham (Nottingham ETheses).
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Ekelund, H. (2016). Book review: The European public servant – a shared administrative identity?. Journal of Contemporary European Research. 12. 931-933.
- Ekelund, H. (2014). The Agency Phenomenon in the European Union: Emergence, Institutionalisation and Everyday Decision-making by Madalina Busuioc , Martin Groenleer and Jarle Trondal (eds).. Political Studies Review. 12. 320-321.
- Ekelund, H. (2012). Book review : Contemporary European Politics: A Comparative Introduction by José M. Magone. Political Studies Review. John Wiley & Sons. 10. 152-153.
- Ekelund, H. (2011). Book review : Executive Power of the European Union: Law, Practices, and the Living Constitution by Deirdre Curtin. Political Studies Review. John Wiley & Sons. 9. 119-120.
- Ekelund, H. (2010). Book Review: Science in Democracy – expertise, institutions, and representation by Mark B. Brown. Political Studies Review. 8. 377-378.
- Ekelund, H. (2009). Book review: Stephen Castles & Mark J. Miller (2009) The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World (Fourth Edition). Journal of Contemporary European Research. 5. 326-327.