My research area is in the field of international migration and ethnic relations (IMER), social work and social citizenship.
Since 2014 I am doing research on ethnic relations in social work. Ethnic relations in social work. A study of steering documents, teaching and student experiences in Swedish social work education is a project that is financed by the Swedish Research Council. The purpose of the study is to explore what content and which forms of teaching are given to ethnic relations in Swedish social work education. In addition, students and teachers experiences of the teaching are in focus.
I am also involved in planning a project in the area of transnational social work with young adult migrants. The aim is to study strategies for future plans in everyday life among former asylum-seeking unaccompanied children.
Over a period of more than ten years I have been studying the meaning of subjective active citizenship in everyday life of ethnic minoritized young people in Sweden. My dissertation Creating social citizenship: young people, ethnicity and participation in a Swedish local context (2012) concerns social participation in the Swedish welfare state among ethnic minoritized young people, the opportunities open to them and the constraints they face. It focuses on the interplay between structural social conditions related to social exclusion and subjective experiences in everyday life. It investigates how experiences of social citizenship are manifested in everyday life, and how ethnic minoritized young women and men create opportunities and overcome obstacles. A main finding is that the content and boundaries of social citizenship are constantly being defined and re-defined by the youth depending on their everyday experiences and the character of their networks, and gender.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Lill, L., Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2019). Teaching ethnicity in social work education : teachers’ experiences in Sweden. Social Work Education. 38. 34-46.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2014). Young people, ethnicity and constructing lived citizenship in Sweden. .
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2013). Young people, ethnicity and constructing lived citizenship in Sweden. .
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2010). Participation and active engagement of young women and men with migrant backgrounds : a Swedish case. .
Conference paper (Other academic)
Chapter in book (Other academic)
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2008). Social citizenship and social participation Local experiences among young women and men with migrant backgrounds. Licentiate Thesis. 177.
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2008). Socialt medborgarskap och social delaktighet : Lokala upplevelser bland unga kvinnor och män med utländsk bakgrund. Licentiate Thesis. Växjö, Institutionen för vårdvetenskap och socialt arbete. 177.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Jacobson Pettersson, H. (2012). Creating social citizenship : Young people, ethnicity and participation in a Swedish local context. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 285.