My background is Social Science in the field of Social Research (Sociology). I started my research training as a BA student in the field of "Social Deviation" and "Suicide" in Iran. Later I continued my research in the area of "Social Alienation" were I was a master student. I completed my PhD (in Medical Sciences) at the multidisciplinary department, entitled Neurobiology, Caring Science and Society in one of the world’s leading medical universities, the Karolinska Institutet, Sweden. After completing my PhD, I started working as a research assistant at Karolinska Institutet in a project entitled “Discrimination in Swedish health sector”. In 2012 I moved to Canada to do my postdoc at the University of Alberta in the field of “Ethnicity and Health”. I did my second postdoc at the University of Manitoba in Canada in the area of “Child and Youth Health Services and Policy Research”. I am currently moved back to Sweden and working at Linnaeus University. I am teaching in four main subjects: 1) Health Care in an Intercultural Perspective, 2) Socio-Cultural Determinations of Health, 3) Perspective on Contemporary Illness, and 4) Youths Health (with focus on mental and sexual health). In last ten years I have been collaborating with researchers at the large universities within Sweden, Iran, USA and Canada. Through these fruitful collaborations I have gained valuable experiences and knowledge in qualitative and quantitative research method, interdisciplinary studies, and international work.
I am the International Coordinator for the Department of Health and Caring Sciences.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Hultsjö, S., Bachrach-Lindström, M., Safipour, J., Hadziabdic, E. (2019). “Cultural awareness requires more than theoretical education” : nursing students’ experiences. Nurse Education in Practice. 39. 73-79.
- Rask, M., Albinsson, G., Safipour, J., Wenneberg, S., Andersson, L., et al. (2018). Validation of the verbal and social interaction questionnaire for nursing students : the focus of nursing students in their relationship with patients. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 8. 81-88.
- Higginbottom, G.M.A., Valianatos, H., Shankar, J., Safipour, J., Davey, C. (2018). Immigrant women’s food choices in pregnancy : perspectives from women of Chinese origin in Canada. Ethnicity and Health. 23. 521-541.
- Safipour, J., Wenneberg, S., Hadziabdic, E. (2017). Experience of Education in the International Classroom : A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of International Students. 7. 806-824.
- Safipour, J., Hadziabdic, E., Hultsjö, S., Bachrach-Lindström, M. (2017). Measuring nursing students’ cultural awareness : a cross-sectional study among three universities in southern Sweden. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 7. 107-113.
- Higginbottom, G., Safipour, J., Yohani, S., O’brien, B., Mumtaz, Z., et al. (2016). An ethnographic investigation of the maternity healthcare experience of immigrants in rural and urban Alberta, Canada. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 16. 1-15.
- Hadziabdic, E., Safipour, J., Bachrach-Lindström, M., Hultsjö, S. (2016). Swedish version of measuring cultural awareness in nursing students : validity and reliability test. BMC Nursing. 15.
- Woodgate, R.L., Safipour, J., Tailor, K. (2015). Canadian adolescents' perspectives of cancer risk : a qualitative study. Health Promotion International. 30. 684-694.
- Higginbottom, G., Safipour, J. (2015). Access to Primary Health Care by New and Established Immigrants in Canada. Journal of Family Medicine & Community Health. 2. 1-7.
- Higginbottom, G.M.A., Safipour, J., Yohani, S., O’brien, B., Mumtaz, Z., et al. (2015). An ethnographic study of communication challenges in maternity care for immigrant women in rural Alberta. Midwifery. 31. 297-304.
- Safipour, J., Schopflocher, D., Higginbottom, G., Emami, G. (2013). Socioeconomic factors and mental health of Swedish adolescents–a cross-sectional study among Stockholm high-school students aged 15–19 years. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies. 8. 120-134.
- Emami, A., Safipour, J. (2013). Constructing a questionnaire for assessment of awareness and acceptance of diversity in healthcare institutions. BMC Health Services Research. 13.
- Higginbottom, G., Safipour, J., Mumtaz, Z., Chiu, Y., Paton, P., et al. (2013). “I have to do what I believe” : Sudanese women’s beliefs and resistance to hegemonic practices at home and during experiences of maternity care in Canada. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 13.
- Safipour, J., Higginbottom, G., Tessma, M., Emami, A. (2012). Migration status and self-reported health among high school students in Stockholm : A cross-sectional study. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies. 7. 149-163.
- Safipour, J., Schopflocher, D., Higginbottom, G., Emami, A. (2011). Feelings of social alienation : a comparison of immigrant and non-immigrant Swedish youth. International journal of sociology and social policy. 31. 456-468.
- Safipour, J., Schopflocher, D., Higginbottom, G., Emami, A. (2011). The mediating role of alienation in self reported health among Swedish Adolescents. Vulnerable Groups & Inclusion. 2.
- Safipour, J., Tessma, M., Higginbottom, G., Emami, A. (2010). Measuring social alienation in adolescence : Translation and validation of the Jessor and Jessor Social Alienation Scale. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. 51. 517-524.