Jan BerggrenSenior lecturer
I hold a PhD from Linnaeus University, Department of Pedagogy and Learning. The title of my thesis is English teaching in upper secondary school and mobilization of young people's life chances. In my thesis I show how perspectives on education in English, elicited from teachers' and students' responses in interviews as well as Swedish education policy, contribute to conditions for the selection of knowledge and teaching on and between programmes. Furthermore, I have a Master of Arts for upper secondary and adult education and a Bachelor of Education in primary education, intermediate level.
My teaching is primarily within the teacher training programmes at Linnaeus University, specialising in evaluation and monitoring as well as general didactics. In addition, I tutor master students.
Previously, I have gained experience of upper secondary teaching as a senior lecturer, and before then as an upper secondary teacher in English and Swedish. This said I have extensive experience with formal instruction in higher education preparatory programmes and vocational programmes, and as a leader of in-service training.
My current research interests mainly concern young people’s educational careers in upper secondary school, but also their social inclusion in school. Within this field one focus is on the experiences among immigrant youth of conditions for learning in school. Another focus encompasses digital literacies and the role of information literacy for students attending upper secondary school.
My research groups
My completed research projects
Article in journal (Refereed)
Eek-Karlsson, L., Berggren, J., Torpsten, A. (2022). Beating Around the Bush – Swedish Schoolgirls’ Coping Strategies and Impact Processes of Sexual Harassment. Sexuality & Culture.
Status: Epub ahead of print
Berggren, J., Torpsten, A., Järkestig Berggren, U. (2021). Education is my passport : experiences of institutional obstacles among immigrant youth in the Swedish upper secondary educational system. Journal of Youth Studies. (3). 340-354.
Berggren, J. (2012). En gemensam resa eller skilda resor : talet om kärnämnen i gymnasieskolan 1990-2009. Utbildning och Demokrati. 21 (2). 39-60.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Berggren, J., Torpsten, A. (2019). Knowledge I brought with me could not be used, it was not in Swedish. .
- Berggren, J., Allen, C. (2017). The assessment of digital project in the EFL classroom. CALL in a climate of change : adapting to turbulent global conditions, short papers from EUROCALL 2017. 46-50.
- Allen, C., Berggren, J. (2016). Digital literacy and sustainability : a field study in EFL teacher development. CALL communities and culture : short papers from EUROCALL 2016. 14-19.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Berggren, J., Torpsten, A. (2021). Då, nu och sen - nyanlända elever i gymnasieskolans introduktionsprogram. Translanguaging and Disciplinary Language in the Individual, at School and in Society : ett särtryck ur HumaNetten 45,2020. Linnaeus University Press.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Berggren, J., Torpsten, A. (2020). Då, nu och sen – nyanlända elever i gymnasieskolans introduktionsprogram. HumaNetten. (45). 102-128.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Berggren, J. (2013). Engelskundervisning i gymnasieskolan för mobilisering av ungdomars livschanser. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 203.
Report (Other academic)
- Berggren, J., Sahuric-Bank, M., Klintberg, J., Linde, E., Johansson, S., et al. (2017). Projekt History hunt : bedömning av digitala projekt i engelskundervisningen. Kalmar, Kalmarsunds gymnasieförbund. 26.
- Berggren, J. (2016). Projekt Digital Literacy : utveckling av ungdomars språkbruk och digitala färdigheter i engelskundervisning. Kalmar, Kalmarsunds gymnasieförbund. 19.