Some people know exactly what career they wish to pursue. For me, my choice of education was rather random – the educational programme in Forestry was my third choice. However, I think it all turned out well, especially given the opportunity to interact with Swedish forestry and the surrounding community. I see myself as a generalist and interdisciplinary collaboration greatly stimulates me. I always seek to explain and understand why things are the way they are.
My area of expertise is ecophysiology, forest production and forest management, all linked together by the effects of climate change. My work mainly concerns how nutrient dynamics and climate change may affect boreal forest ecosystems, including risks related to climate change. Adapted forest management is one way to take advantage of the new situation, to handle potential risks and to minimise damage.
My work also includes how to manage the forest to mitigate effects of climate change through uptake/storage of carbon dioxide and through an optimal usage of the forest raw material. Collaboration with the Swedish forest industry and society constitutes a big part of my work. I also work internationally to give advice on plantation forestry.
My research groups and projects
Forestry and Wood In the Forestry and Wood research group we are engaged in the entire chain, from forest to finished product, and with the development of new wood products for construction and furnitu…
Project: Total carbon balance of Swedish forestry sector: Evaluate guidelines for climate roadmap 2050 This project will result in a description of the baseline of the total carbon balance of the Swedi…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Hedwall, P., Bergh, J., Brunet, J. (2017). Phosphorus and nitrogen co-limitation of forest ground vegetation under elevated anthropogenic nitrogen deposition. Oecologia. 185. 317-326.
- Cintas, O., Berndes, G., Hansson, J., Poudel, B.C., Bergh, J., et al. (2017). The potential role of forest management in Swedish scenarios towards climate neutrality by mid century. Forest Ecology and Management. 383. 73-84.
- Subramanian, N., Bergh, J., Johansson, U., Nilsson, U., Sallnäs, O. (2016). Adaptation of Forest Management Regimes in Southern Sweden to Increased Risks Associated with Climate Change. Forests. 7.
- Keskitalo, E.C.H., Bergh, J., Felton, A., Björkman, C., Berlin, M., et al. (2016). Adaptation to Climate Change in Swedish Forestry. Forests. 7.
- Lundmark, T., Bergh, J., Nordin, A., Fahlvik, N., Poudel, B.C. (2016). Comparison of carbon balances between continuous-cover and clear-cut forestry in Sweden. Ambio. 45. S203-S213.
- Roberge, J., Laudon, H., Björkman, C., Ranius, T., Sandström, C., et al. (2016). Socio-ecological implications of modifying rotation lengths in forestry. Ambio. 45. S109-S123.
- Nordström, E., Forsell, N., Lundström, A., Korosuo, A., Bergh, J., et al. (2016). Impacts of global climate change mitigation scenarios on forests and harvesting in Sweden. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 46. 1427-1438.
- Felton, A., Nilsson, U., Sonesson, J., Felton, A.M., Roberge, J., et al. (2016). Replacing monocultures with mixed-species stands : Ecosystem service implications of two production forest alternatives in Sweden. Ambio. 45. S124-S139.
- Bahr, A., Ellström, M., Bergh, J., Wallander, H. (2015). Nitrogen leaching and ectomycorrhizal nitrogen retention capacity in a Norway spruce forest fertilized with nitrogen and phosphorus. Plant and Soil. 390. 323-335.
- Subramanian, N., Karlsson, P.E., Bergh, J., Nilsson, U. (2015). Impact of Ozone on Sequestration of Carbon by Swedish Forests under a Changing Climate : A Modeling Study. Forest Science. 61. 445-457.
- Hedwall, P., Bergh, J., Nordin, A. (2015). Nitrogen-retention capacity in a fertilized forest after clear-cutting : the effect of forest-floor vegetation. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 45. 130-134.
- Lundmark, T., Bergh, J., Hofer, P., Lundström, A., Nordin, A., et al. (2014). Potential roles of Swedish forestry in the context of climate change mitigation. Forests. 5. 557-578.
- Bergh, J., Nilsson, U., Allen, H.L., Johansson, U., Fahlvik, N. (2014). Long-term responses of Scots pine and Norway spruce stands in Sweden to repeated fertilization and thinning. Forest Ecology and Management. 320. 118-128.
- Hedwall, P., Grip, H., Linder, S., Lövdahl, L., Nilsson, U., et al. (2013). Effects of clear-cutting and slash removal on soil water chemistry and forest-floor vegetation in a nutrient optimised Norway spruce stand. Silva Fennica. 47.
- Routa, J., Kellomäki, S., Strandman, H., Bergh, J., Pulkkinen, P., et al. (2013). The timber and energy biomass potential of intensively managed cloned Norway spruce stands. Global Change Biology Bioenergy. 5. 43-52.
- Rabasa, S.G., Granda, E., Benavides, R., Kunstler, G., Espelta, J.M., et al. (2013). Disparity in elevational shifts of European trees in response to recent climate warming. Global Change Biology. 19. 2490-2499.
- Hedwall, P., Brunet, J., Nordin, A., Bergh, J. (2013). Changes in the abundance of keystone forest floor species in response to changes of forest structure. Journal of Vegetation Science. 24. 296-306.
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Bergh, J., Gustavsson, L., Lundström, A., et al. (2012). Potential effects of intensive forestry on biomass production and total carbon balance in north-central Sweden. Environmental Science and Policy. 15. 106-124.
- Johansson, K., Langvall, O., Bergh, J. (2012). Optimization of environmental factors affecting initial growth of Norway spruce seedlings. Silva Fennica. 46. 27-38.
- Edenius, L., Mikusiński, G., Witzell, J., Bergh, J. (2012). Effects of repeated fertilization of young Norway spruce on foliar phenolics and arthropods : implications for insectivorous birds’ food resources. Forest Ecology and Management. 277. 38-45.
- Berlin, M., Sonesson, J., Bergh, J., Jansson, G. (2012). The effect of fertilization on genetic parameters in Picea abies clones in central Sweden and consequences for breeding and deployment. Forest Ecology and Management. 270. 239-247.
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Gustavsson, L., Bergh, J., Lundström, A., et al. (2011). Effects of climate change on biomass production and substitution in north-central Sweden. Biomass and Bioenergy. 35. 4340-4355.
- Wallander, H., Ekblad, A., Bergh, J. (2011). Growth and carbon sequestration by ectomycorrhizal fungi in intensively fertilized Norway spruce forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 262. 999-1007.
- Hedwall, P., Brunet, J., Nordin, A., Bergh, J. (2011). Decreased variation of forest understory vegetation is an effect of fertilisation in young stands of Picea abies. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 26. 46-55.
- Edenius, L., Mikusiński, G., Bergh, J. (2011). Can repeated fertilizer applications to young Norway spruce enhance avian diversity in intensively managed forests?. Ambio. 40. 521-527.
- Sathre, R., Gustavsson, L., Bergh, J. (2010). Primary energy and greenhouse gas implications of increasing biomass production through forest fertilization. Biomass and Bioenergy. 34. 572-581.
- Bergh, J., Nilsson, U., Kjartansson, B., Karlsson, M. (2010). Impact of climate change on the productivity of Silver birch, Norway spruce and Scots pine stands in Sweden with economic implications for timber production. Ecological Bulletins. 53. 185-195.
- Blennow, K., Andersson, M., Bergh, J., Sallnäs, O., Olofsson, E. (2010). Potential climate change impacts on the probability of wind damage in a south Swedish forest. Climatic Change. 99. 261-278.
- Hedwall, P., Nordin, A., Brunet, J., Bergh, J. (2010). Compositional changes of forest-floor vegetation in young stands of Norway spruce as an effect of repeated fertilisation. Forest Ecology and Management. 259. 2418-2425.
- Albaugh, T.J., Bergh, J., Lundmark, T., Nilsson, U., Stape, J.L., et al. (2009). Do biological expansion factors adequately estimate stand-scale aboveground component biomass for Norway spruce?. Forest Ecology and Management. 258. 2628-2637.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Wallander, H., Bahr, A., Ellström, M., Bergh, J. (2014). Nitrogen leaching, and nitrogen retention capacity by ectomycorrhizal fungi, in a Norway spruce forest fertilized with nitrogen and phosphorus. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts (Vol. 16, p. 2062)..
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Bergh, J., Nordin, A., Lundmark, T. (2013). Forest biomass production potential and its implications for total carbon balance. .
- Poudel, B.C., Lundmark, T., Bergh, J., Nordin, A. (2013). Forest management scenarios and their effects on ecosystem services: modelling results from Sweden.. .
- Poudel, B.C., Bergh, J., Lundmark, T., Nordin, A., Sathre, R. (2013). Modelling forest management in Sweden: trade-offs between carbon benefit and biodiversity conservation.. .
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Bergh, J., Drössler, L., Nordin, A., et al. (2012). Comparison of biomass production and total carbon balance of continuous-cover and clear-cut forestry in Sweden. IUFRO Conference, Division 5, Forest Products. 8 - 13 July. Estoril Congress Centre, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Poudel, B.C., Bergh, J., Sathre, R. (2012). Forest biomass production and their potential use to mitigate climate change. Tackling climate change : the contribution of forest scientific knowledge.
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Gustavsson, L., Bergh, J. (2011). Climate change mitigation through increased biomass production and substitution: A case study in north-central Sweden. World Renewable Energy Congress 2011, Linköping, Sweden, May 8-11.
- Narayanan, S., Bergh, J., Nilsson, U. (2011). Simulation of Net Primary Production (NPP) of Picea abies in southern Sweden-A comparison between two process based forest growth models. Proceedings of COST FP0603, Spring School : Modelling Forest Ecosystem - Concept, Data and Application. 109-116.
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Gustavsson, L., Bergh, J. (2010). Integrated carbon analysis of forest production and utilization in north-central Sweden. XXIII IUFRO World Congress, 23-28 August (Abstract proceeding).
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Nordström, E., Poudel, B.C., Böttcher, H., Bergh, J., Mörtberg, U., et al. (2012). Future forests scenarios : Analysing impacts of Swedish forest policy on ecosystem services, land use and the European market. Worlds within reach, from science to policy, IIASA 40th Anniversary Conference, Austria, 24-26 October, 2012.
- Poudel, B.C., Sathre, R., Bergh, J., Gustavsson, L. (2011). Forest biomass residues and their use to mitigate climate change in north-central Sweden. 19th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition, Berlin, Germany, June 6-10, 2011.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Gaillard, M., Kleinen, T., Samuelsson, P., Nielsen, A.B., Bergh, J., et al. (2015). Causes of Regional Change : Land Cover. Second Assessment of Climate Change for the Baltic Sea Basin. Springer. 453-477.
- Hedwall, P., Bergh, J. (2013). Fertilization in Boreal and Temperate Forests and the Potential for Biomass Production. Forest BioEnergy Production : Management, Carbon sequestration and Adaptation. Springer. 95-109.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Rytter, L., Andreassen, K., Bergh, J., Ekö, P., Kilpeläinen, A., et al. (2014). Land areas and biomass production for current and future use in the Nordic and Baltic countries. Oslo, Norway, Nordic Energy Research.
- Bergh, J., Johansson, U., Nilsson, U., Sallnäs, O. (2012). Är anpassning av skogsskötseln nödvändigt i dagsläget för att minska skogsskador i ett förändrat klimat? Del 1 – analyser på bestådsnivå. Alnarp, Sweden, SLU, Inst. för sydsvensk skogsvetenskap.
Report (Other academic)
- Bergh, J., Johansson, U., Jönsson, A.M., Lagergren, F., Lundström, A., et al. (2012). Är anpassning av skogsskötseln nödvändigt i dagsläget för att minska skogsskador i ett förändrat klimat? : Del 2 –analyser på regional nivå. Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet. 30.
Article, review/survey (Refereed)
- Rytter, L., Andreassen, K., Bergh, J., Eko, P., Gronholm, T., et al. (2015). Availability of Biomass for Energy Purposes in Nordic and Baltic Countries : Land Areas and Biomass Amounts. Baltic Forestry. 21. 375-390.
- Hedwall, P., Gong, P., Ingerslev, M., Bergh, J. (2014). Fertilization in northern forests - biological, economic and environmental constraints and possibilities. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 29. 301-311.
Chapter in book (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Bergh, J., Blennow, K., Andersson, M., Olofsson, E., Nilsson, U., et al. (2007). Effekter av ett förändrat klimat på skogen och implikationer för skogsbruket : Bilaga B 19, Arbetsrapport 34. Sverige inför klimatförändringarna : hot och möjligheter. Fritzes. 1-71.