I have been a senior lecturer at the Sport Science Department at Linnaeus University since 2019. My education includes a B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark and a M.A. from the George Washington University, USA. I earned my Ph.D. from George Mason University, USA.
I support future and current sport coaches through LNU’s bachelor and master programs as well as professional development course. I am course leader for the following courses:
- 1IV306 - Idrottscoaching
- 1IV300 - Idrottsdidaktik
- 2IV316 - Global Sport
- 4IV324 - Leadership in Sport
- 4IV328 - Elitidrottens kontext - styrning och förutsättningar
- 4IV323 - Fördjupning i vetenskaplig metod
I conduct research within effective sport coaching, youth sport and professionalization processes in sport.
I am part of the leadership team for our online master degree in sport science at LNU. My responsibility includes leading the effort for quality assessment of the program.
Kjær, J.B., Bjärsholm, D., Fahlström, P.G., Linnér, S. (2023). Breaking through? Exploring care in the early life of elite Swedish athletes. Sport Coaching Review. 12 (1). 68-86.
Kjær, J.B., Bustad, J.J. (2023). "Two silos of thinking that were not connected" : a board's attempt to manage the logics of recreational and elite youth soccer in an urban community club. European Journal for Sport and Society. 20 (3). 262-278.
Kjær, J.B., Agergaard, S. (2022). What’s at play? Power, transnational coaches and the global hegemony of performance within Danish elite swimming. Sport in Society : Cultures, Media, Politics, Commerce. 25 (6). 1211-1226.
- Kjær, J.B. (2022). Breaking New Ground in the United States : Lessons Learned from a Master's Degree in Soccer Coaching Utilising a Blended Learning Format. Coach Education in Football : Contemporary Issues and Global Persepctives. New York, Routledge.
Article in journal (Refereed)
Kjær, J.B. (2019). The Professionalization of Sports Coaching : A case study of a graduate soccer coaching education program. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education. 24. 50-62.
Kjær, J.B., Agergaard, S. (2013). Understanding women’s professional soccer : the case of Denmark and Sweden. Soccer & Society. 14 (6). 816-833.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Saleh, D., Kjær, J.B. (2022). Att elitsimma eller inte elitsimma? : En kvalitativ intervjustudie om varför elitsatsande simmare inom idrottsgymnasium slutar simma. Idrottsforum.org/Nordic sport science forum. (June 21). 1-23.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Kjær, J.B., Fahlström, P.G., Andersson, F. (2023). From Classroom to Field : Enhancing Sport Management Education to Promote Successful Application of Theoretical Knowledge. EASM BELFAST 2023 CONFERENCE ABSTRACTS, 31st European Association for Sport Management Conference, September 12-15, 2023, Belfast, Northern Ireland. 450-451.
- Kjær, J.B., Bjärsholm, D., Fahlström, P.G., Linnér, S. (2022). Do we need to break a glass ceiling? A discussion on the Swedish dual career model at the secondary school level. SVEBI 2022 : Sport in a changing world, 14-15 juni 2022, Malmö Sweden. 51-52.
- Kjær, J.B., Bjärsholm, D., Fahlström, P.G., Linnér, S. (2021). Coaching for personal development : Retrospective stories from 14 Swedish high-performance athletes. International Sport Coaching Journal : International Council for Coaching Excellence (ICCE) 13th Global Coach Conference, Virtual & In-person Conference November 17–21, 2021, Lisbon, Portugal. S50-S50.
- Kjær, J.B., Strömberg, C. (2021). The coach and the educator. Presented at: Teachers Matter – But How? Växjö, Sweden, October 13-15, 2021.
- Kjær, J.B., Bustad, J. (2019). Organizational Professionalization in Youth Sport : A Case Study of a Mid-Atlantic Youth Soccer Club. .
- Kjær, J.B. (2019). “‘I Feel More Comfortable Hiring a Male Coach’ : Conversations with Women Coaches and Athletic Directors on Coaching and Leadership”. NASSM Annual Conference, Virginia Beach.
- Kjær, J.B. (2016). Preparing Sports Coaches for the 21st Century : A Qualitative Case Study of a Graduate Sports Coaching Education Program.. .