Juwel Rana is a research scientist at Telenor Group and a senior lecturer at Linnaeus University. He is a member of the Swedish Association of Professional Scientists, and IEEE.
Juwel received his PhD from Luleå University of Technology, Sweden in 2013 on Pervasive and Mobile Computing. From 2007 to 2008, he was a research staff member at Create-net research center and also associated with knowledge and discovery research group at the University of Trento, Italy. He became a PhD student at the Luleå University of Technology from 2009 to 2013. He worked from Ericsson Research at Luleå in multimedia technology group from 2011 to 2013. He also visited Ericsson Silicon Valley as a guest researcher.
Juwel generates value from research by publishing scientific papers, by developing proof-of-concept research prototypes, by analyzing big data (real-time and batch) from digital services, and finally, by advising in business critical decision making processes. He received Ericsson patentable invention awards, best student paper award, and several grants for research accomplishments.
- Adaptive and semantic web data analytics known as "Adaptive and Semantic Web 4ME310"
- Internet architecture and Data services known as "Internet architectures 4ME307"
MSc thesis openings
- Application of AI techniques for massive amount of data processing and mining
- Applying real-time analytics & IoT for real-world problem-solving
Completed MSc thesis supervision
- Jan Gunzenhauser (2015), "Application of real-time HRV biofeedback in the scenario of meditation practice: Feasibility, Usability and medical fidelity"
- Natali Aser (2017), "A Warmer Welcome: Application of a Chatbot as a Facilitator for New Hires Onboarding"
- Mohamad Zamam (2017), "A unified framework for real-time streaming and processing of IoT data"
- Big data analytics and AI
- Real-time data analysis & IoT
- Digital and Telco services
- Data sharing
- Data driven product and service innovation
My research groups and projects
Center for Learning and Knowledge Technologies The research in the subject Media Technology at Linnaeus University revolves a lot around mobility, social media and learning, and is mainly carried out w…
eHealth – Improved Data to and from Patients The research in the eHealth area within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) will result in novel ways for systema…
Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics The research area Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) works with the detectio…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Rana, J., Hallberg, J., Synnes, K., Kristiansson, J. (2010). Harnessing the cloud for mobile social networking applications. International Journal of Grid and High Performance Computing (IJGHPC). 2. 1-11.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Morshed, S.J., Rana, J., Milrad, M. (2018). Active and Satisfied Users as a Key to Measure the Success of a Digital Mobile Service. Proceedings 6th Artificial Intelligence for Knowledge Management (AI4KM), Stockholm, Sweden.
- Sotsenko, A., Jansen, M., Milrad, M., Rana, J. (2016). Using a Rich Context Model for Real-Time Big Data Analytics in Twitter. 2016 IEEE 4TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON FUTURE INTERNET OF THINGS AND CLOUD WORKSHOPS (FICLOUDW). 228-233.
- Noori, S.R.H., Hossain, M.K., Rana, J. (2016). Key Indicators for Data Sharing - In Relation with Digital Services. DATA MINING AND BIG DATA, DMBD 2016. 353-363.
- Morshed, S.J., Rana, J., Milrad, M. (2016). Open Source Initiatives and Frameworks Addressing Distributed Real-time Data Analytics. 2016 IEEE 30th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW). 1481-1484.
- Morshed, S.J., Rana, J., Milrad, M. (2016). Real-Time Data Analytics : An Algorithmic Perspective. DATA MINING AND BIG DATA, DMBD 2016. 311-320.
- Rana, J., Bjelland, J., Sundsoy, P., Couronne, T., Qureshi, T., et al. (2015). Smartphone applications co-usage : Could we predict your next app?. Network Science x2015.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2014). Data Matters : Reflection on User Defined Social Prioritization. ASE@360 Open Scientific Digital Library.
- Rana, J., Bjelland, J., Couronne, T., Sundsoy, P., Wagner, D., et al. (2014). A Handset-centric View of Smartphone Application Use. 9TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON FUTURE NETWORKS AND COMMUNICATIONS (FNC'14) / THE 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MOBILE SYSTEMS AND PERVASIVE COMPUTING (MOBISPC'14) / AFFILIATED WORKSHOPS. 368-375.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2014). Modeling unified interaction for communication service integration. The Fourth International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies : UBICOMM 2010. 373-378.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2014). The strength of social strength : an evaluation study of algorithmic versus user-defined ranking. SAC '14 Proceedings of the 29th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing. 658-659.
- Rana, J., Morshed, S., Synnes, K. (2013). End-user creation of social apps by utilizing web-based social components and visual app composition. Proceedings of the 22nd international conference on World Wide Web companion. 1205-1214.
- Idowu, S., Hagos, D.H., Tesfay, W.B., Famurewa, A., Rana, J., et al. (2013). NexTrend : Context-aware music-relay corridors using NFC tags. 2013 Seventh International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (IMIS). 573-578.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2012). Supporting ubiquitous interaction in dynamic shared spaces through automatic group formation based on social context. International Conference on Social Informatics (Social Informatics). 121-130.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2012). Dynamic media distribution in ad-hoc social networks. 2012 Second International Conference on Cloud and Green Computing (CGC). 549-556.
- Dudarenko, N., Rana, J., Synnes, K. (2010). Ranking algorithm by contacts priority for social communication systems. Smart Spaces and Next Generation Wired/Wireless Networking : Third Conference on Smart Spaces, ruSMART 2010, and 10th International Conference, NEW2AN 2010, St. Petersburg, Russia, August 23-25, 2010. 38-49.
- Rana, J., Kristiansson, J., Synnes, K. (2010). Enriching and simplifying communication by social prioritization. 2010 International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2010) : Odense, Denmark, 9 - 11 August 2010. 336-340.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Synnes, K., Kranz, M., Rana, J., Schelén, O. (2013). User-Centric Social Interaction for Digital Cities. Creating Personal, Social, and Urban Awareness through Pervasive Computing. IGI Global. 318-346.
Report (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Synnes, K., Rana, J. (2012). Technical Foresight Report : Social Distribution Mechanisms. EIT ICT Labs IVZW. 44.