Dr Katarina Hyltén-Cavallius is Assistant Professor of Law and joined the Linnaeus University in 2022.
She is the author/editor of two books:
Free Movement of Persons in the Nordic States: EU Law, EEA Law, and Regional Cooperation
(Oxford: Hart Publishing/Bloomsbury, 2022) (ed, w/ Jaan Paju).
EU Citizenship at the Edges of Freedom of Movement
(Oxford: Hart Publishing/Bloomsbury, 2020).
As from 2020, she has been appointed as a national legal expert for Denmark within the European Commission's MoveS-Network, where she contributes with reports and analyses regarding the legal conditions for free movement of workers and cross-border social security coordination.
Dr Hyltén-Cavallius wrote her Ph.D. thesis project on "EU Citizenship and the Edges of Freedom of Movement" at the Centre for European and Comparative Legal Studies at the Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen. The project analyses the legal meaning and effect of EU citizenship in cases of uncertain residence status or lack of economic agency. The thesis was later redrafted into a monograph with Hart Publishing's Modern Studies in European Law Series and published in November 2020. In 2017, she joined the Department of Law at Aarhus University as a post-doc, and subsequently, Assistant Professor of EU Law.
In 2016 she pursued a research stay at the Institute for Social Law, at the Faculty of Law at KU Leuven, Belgium and was a visiting researcher (stagiaire) at the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg.
Prior to pursuing a Ph.D., Katarina Hyltén-Cavallius worked at the Administrative Court in Malmö as a drafting lawyer, and law clerk, specialising in social security law, migration law and tax law. She has also been a Legal Associate at Deloitte, working in the consultancy field of cross-border taxation and social security coordination of employees in international employment.
She holds a Bachelor’s of Arts degree (B.A.) in French and Literature, as well as a Master of Laws (LLM) degree from the University of Gothenburg. During her studies, she spent time at Institut Catholique de Paris (Catholic University of Paris), and did an internship at the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Cotonou, Benin.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Nordic Journal of European Law.
- National Legal Expert, MoveS - Free Movement of Workers and Social Security Coordination.
- Organisor and host of the Danish-Swedish MoveS-seminar Cross-Border Work and Social Security Protection in the Øresund Region - Challenges and solutions for high mobility, telework and platform work, held at University of Copenhagen on 9 May 2022. Read more about the seminar here.
- Peer-reviewer commissions for; Nordisk Socialrättslig Tidsskrift, Hart Law Publishing, Nordic Journal of European Law, Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law, and European Journal of Social Security.
My research groups
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K., Paju, J. (2023). Free Movement of Persons in the Nordic States : EU Law, EEA Law, and Regional Cooperation. Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd. 276.
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2022). Stateless Union Citizens in a Nationality Conundrum: EU Law Safeguarding against Broken Promises : ECJ 18 January 2022 Case C-118/20, Wiener Landesregierung (Revocation of an assurance of naturalisation), EU:C:2022:34. European Constitutional Law Review. 18 (3). 556-571.
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2020). Who cares? : Caregivers’ derived residence rights from children in EU free movement law. Common market law review. 57 (2). 399-432.
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2020). EU citizenship at the edges of freedom of movement. Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd.
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. Uppehållsrätten : en introduktion. Norstedts Juridik AB.
Article in journal (Refereed)
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2023). Solidarity and the Bond of Nationality in Union Citizenship Law. Nordic Journal of European Law. 6 (2). 68-84.
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2022). The Unfolding Destiny of Union Citizenship : From a Fundamental Status to a Status of Genuine Substance. European journal of migration and law. 24 (3). 430-461.
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2020). Bopæl, CPR-nummer og EU-opholdsbevis : når husdrømme går i stå for Unionsborgere i Danmark. EU-ret og menneskeret. 27 (2). 51-57.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2020). Mål C-93/18 Bajratari, och tolkningen av villkoret ”tillräckliga tillgångar” för uppehållsrätt i direktiv 2004/38. Europarättslig tidskrift. (2). 275-287.
Article, book review (Other academic)
Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2018). Carolus Grütters, Sandra Mantu and Paul Minderhoud (Eds.), Migration on the Move. Essays on the Dynamics of Migration. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers, 2017.. Common market law review. Wolters Kluwer. 55 (5). 1649-1650.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2017). EU Citizenship at the Edges of Freedom of Movement. Doctoral Thesis. Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen. 310.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2022). The choice of legal basis for coordination of social security systems with associated third countries : UK v council (EEC-Turkey). EU external relations law : The cases in context. Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd. 669-678.
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2018). The Need of Residence Registration for Enjoyment of EU Citizenship in Sweden. EU citizenship and social rights : Entitlements and impediments to accessing welfare. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing. 127-148.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K., Paju, J. (2023). Flickering Contours of a Nordic Citizenship Encircling a Legal Core of EU/EEA Law. Free Movement of Persons in the Nordic States : EU Law, EEA law, and Regional Cooperation. Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd. 249-260.
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K., Paju, J. (2023). Free Movement of Persons in the Nordic States. Free Movement of Persons in the Nordic States : EU Law, EEA law, and Regional Cooperation. Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd. 3-6.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2015). The use of personal identity numbers in Sweden and Denmark : A barrier to union citizens' enjoyment of free movement rights?. Being a Citizen in Europe : Insights and Lessons from the Open Conference, Zagreb 2015. 86-98.
Other (Other academic)
- Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2016). Further limits to Union citizens’ equal treatment rights : Ruling in Case C-67/14, Alimanovic, delivered on 15 September 2015. Center for Retlige Studier i Velfærd og Marked (WELMA), Faculty of law, University of Copenhagen. 2.
Jacqueson, C., Hyltén-Cavallius, K. (2015). When benefit tourism enters the Court-room : The consequences of the Dano-case. Utrecht University.
Hyltén-Cavallius, K., Jacqueson, C. (2014). Bekæmpelse af velfærdsturisme : EU-domstolens dom i sag C-333/13 (Dano), af 11. nov. 2014. Center for Retlige Studier i Velfærd og Marked (WELMA), Faculty of law, University of Copenhagen.