I have worked as a lecturer at Kalmar Maritime Academy since 2009, mostly teaching nautical subjects, maritime English and ice navigation. Before starting at the Academy, I worked with high speed navigation in the Swedish Navy as well as deck officer on merchant vessels.
Since 2013 I am also a PhD student in Maritime Science, and more specifically within the area of icebreaker operations. A unique characteristic for such operations is the close proximity between icebreaker and assisted vessel, something that leaves very little room for error. A common thread through my research is the role of humans during icebreaker operations, with two major areas of interest. One is the way that verbal communication, often in a multi-lingual setting, affects the risk of misunderstandings and ultimately the safety of lives, vessels and environment. The other is the process where an initially novice person becomes skilled through education, hands-on practice and experience. How do one acquire a feeling for what is a suitable solution in a situation where there is little time to think?
My research groups and projects
Maritime science The research in maritime science includes at present: 1) working life, organisation and risk management, 2) the environmental effects of shipping and marine spatial planning, 3) energy…
Project: Safety during icebreaker operations In this PhD project, I investigate the safety during icebreaker operations from a human perspective. Two focus areas within this project are verbal communic…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Boström, M. (2018). Breaking the ice : a work domain analysis of icebreaker operations. Cognition, Technology & Work. 20. 443-456.
- Boström, M., Österman, C. (2017). Improving operational safety during icebreaker operations. WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA). 16. 73-88.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Boström, M. (2014). Simulating Advanced Arctic Operations - Lessons Learned. 18th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2012). Group Composition in the Navigation Simulator : a Pilot Study. 17th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2010). Effective simulator training in preparation for icebreaking operations and ice management assessment. 16th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference Proceedings. 40-47.