I work at Kalmar Maritime Academy since 2009, where I combine teaching and research. I mostly teach nautical subjects, primarily communication and maritime English. I try to introduce a gender awareness in my teaching; I am convinced that the way we talk and express ourselves is crucial if we want to create an including environment where everyone is provided equal opportunity to succeed. Before joining the Academy, I worked with high speed navigation in the Swedish Navy and as deck officer on merchant vessels.
My current research focus is organizational and social work environment. More specifically, I study ways to create a good work environment on board ships. The ship, as any workplace, should be free from bullying and harassment, a place where everyone feels welcome and thrives. When we attain such a workplace, the shipping business can recruit new seafarers and retain those currently employed within it.
During 2013-2020, I was enrolled as a PhD student in Maritime Science. The work was centered on icebreaker operations and the complexity created when people, on different ships, co-operate. A unique characteristic for such operations is the close proximity between the icebreaker and assisted vessels, something that leaves very little room for error. In complex situations communication is a key component. Verbal communication, often in a multi-lingual setting, affects the risk of misunderstandings and ultimately the safety of lives, vessels and the environment. A common thread through my research was the organization of work, and how safety and communication are interrelated.
I am safety representative for the Faculty of Technology (House Magna, Kalmar).
My research groups
My ongoing research projects
Project: Incentives for skills supply in a socially sustainable shipping This project aims to identify incentives at individual, organizational and industry levels for the skills supply in a socially…
Project: Practical work environment management for gender diversity in the maritime sector When working as a seafarer, the ship is both a working and a living environment. The social work environment…
Project: Safety during icebreaker operations In this PhD project, I investigate the safety during icebreaker operations from a human perspective. Two focus areas within this project are verbal…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Österman, C., Boström, M. (2022). Workplace bullying and harassment at sea : A structured literature review. Marine Policy. 136.
Boström, M. (2021). Other-initiated repair as an indicator of critical communication in ship-to-ship interaction. Journal of Pragmatics. 174. 78-92.
Boström, M. (2020). Mind the Gap! : A quantitative comparison between ship-to-ship communication and intended communication protocol. Safety Science. 123. 1-8.
Boström, M. (2018). Breaking the ice : a work domain analysis of icebreaker operations. Cognition, Technology & Work. 20 (3). 443-456.
Boström, M., Österman, C. (2017). Improving operational safety during icebreaker operations. WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA). 16 (1). 73-88.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Boström, M. (2014). Simulating Advanced Arctic Operations - Lessons Learned. 18th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2012). Group Composition in the Navigation Simulator : a Pilot Study. 17th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2010). Effective simulator training in preparation for icebreaking operations and ice management assessment. 16th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference Proceedings. 40-47.
Report (Other academic)
- Österman, C., Boström, M. (2021). Praktiskt arbetsmiljöarbete för en jämställd sjöfart. Kalmar, Linnéuniverstitetet. 53.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Boström, M. (2020). Creating clarity and managing complexity through co-operation and communication : The case of Swedish icebreaker operations. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 69.
Report (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Österman, C., Boström, M. (2021). Ogilla läget : Tips på hur du kan bidra till en god organisatorisk och social arbetsmiljö utan kränkande särbehandling. Kalmar, Linnéuniverstitetet. 34.