I have worked as a lecturer at Kalmar Maritime Academy since 2009, mostly teaching nautical subjects, maritime English and ice navigation. Before starting at the Academy, I worked with high speed navigation in the Swedish Navy as well as deck officer on merchant vessels.
Since 2013 I am also a PhD student in Maritime Science, and more specifically within the area of icebreaker operations. A unique characteristic for such operations is the close proximity between icebreaker and assisted vessel, something that leaves very little room for error. A common thread through my research is the role of humans during icebreaker operations, and particularly in regard to communication. Verbal communication, often in a multi-lingual setting, affects the risk of misunderstandings and ultimately the safety of lives, vessels and environment.
My research groups and projects
Maritime science The research in maritime science includes at present: 1) working life, organisation and risk management, 2) the environmental effects of shipping and marine spatial planning, 3)…
Project: Safety during icebreaker operations In this PhD project, I investigate the safety during icebreaker operations from a human perspective. Two focus areas within this project are verbal…
Project: Practical work environment management for gender diversity in the maritime sector When working as a seafarer, the ship is both a working and a living environment. The social work environment…
Project: Incentives for skills supply in a socially sustainable shipping This project aims to identify incentives at individual, organizational and industry levels for the skills supply in a socially…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Boström, M. (2021). Other-initiated repair as an indicator of critical communication in ship-to-ship interaction. Journal of Pragmatics. 174. 78-92.
- Boström, M. (2020). Mind the Gap! : A quantitative comparison between ship-to-ship communication and intended communication protocol. Safety Science. 123. 1-8.
- Boström, M. (2018). Breaking the ice : a work domain analysis of icebreaker operations. Cognition, Technology & Work. 20. 443-456.
- Boström, M., Österman, C. (2017). Improving operational safety during icebreaker operations. WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs (JoMA). 16. 73-88.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Boström, M. (2014). Simulating Advanced Arctic Operations - Lessons Learned. 18th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2012). Group Composition in the Navigation Simulator : a Pilot Study. 17th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference.
- Boström, M. (2010). Effective simulator training in preparation for icebreaking operations and ice management assessment. 16th International Navigation Simulator Lecturers' Conference Proceedings. 40-47.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Boström, M. (2020). Creating clarity and managing complexity through co-operation and communication : The case of Swedish icebreaker operations. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 69.