Most of my teaching is carried out in the Non-fiction Translation Master Programme.
My research concerns two main areas: change and variation in English grammar and phraseology, and corpus-based translation analysis. My thesis from 2001 deals with agreement with collective nouns in different varieties of English. Since then I have studied variation in the tense formation of verbs (e.g. burned vs. burnt) and the use of the progressive (e.g., You're always interrupting me). My research on phraseology has dealt with everything from productive phrase patterns (e.g. again and again/on and on) to what people say when they go to the toilet (I have to/need to use/go to the bathroom/toilet).
My current research in language change and variation is conducted within the research environment Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences & Applications. This includes studies of how English is used in the Nordic countries.
My research in translation analysis concerns the translation of phraseological and morphological phenomena such as light verb constructions (e.g. take a look / in Auftrag geben) and complex modifiers (e.g. do-it-yourself (books)), for example from English into Swedish and German. This corpus-based research investigates strategies used by translators and the characteristics of translated language.
Most of my teaching is carried out in the Non-fiction Translation Master Programme.
My research groups and projects
Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications The DISA research centre at Linnaeus University focuses its efforts on open questions in collection, analysis and utilization of …
Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics The research area Data Intensive Astroparticle Physics within Linnaeus University Centre for Data Intensive Sciences and Applications (DISA) works with the detectio…
The Linnaeus University English-German-Swedish Corpus (LEGS) In the LEGS research group, we compare linguistic structures across English, German and Swedish. For this purpose we are compiling a balance…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ström Herold, J., Levin, M. (2018). English supplementive ing-clauses and their German and Swedish correspondences. Bergen Language and Lingustics Studies. 9. 115-138.
- Laitinen, M., Lundberg, J., Levin, M., Lakaw, A. (2017). Utilizing Multilingual Language Data in (Nearly) Real Time : The Case of the Nordic Tweet Stream. Journal of universal computer science (Online). 23. 1038-1056.
- Levin, M. (2014). The Bathroom Formula: : A corpus-based study of a speech act in American and British English. Journal of Pragmatics. 64. 1-16.
- Levin, M., Lindquist, H. (2013). Like I said again and again and over and over : On the ADV1 and ADV1 construction with adverbs of direction in English. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics. 28. 7-34.
- Levin, M., Lindquist, H. (2007). Sticking one’s nose in the data. Evaluation in phraseological sequences with nose. ICAME Journal. 31. 87-110.
- Levin, M. (2006). Collective nouns and language change. English Language and Linguistics. 10. 321–343.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., et al. (2018). Visualizing dynamic text corpora using Virtual Reality. ICAME 39 Book of Abstracts : Corpus Linguistics and Changing Society. 205-205.
- Ström Herold, J., Levin, M. (2017). Translating textual indeterminacy : English supplementive ing-clauses and their German and Swedish translations. Corpus et Orbis : Interpreting the World through Corpora : Book of Abstracts. 39-40.
- Ström Herold, J., Levin, M. (2017). The NAFTA signing, a Luftwaffe staff officer and a Västerbotten family : English proper noun modifiers in German and Swedish contrast. 7th Biennial International Conference of the Linguistics of Contemporary English : University of Vigo, 28-30 September 2017 : Book of abstracts. 54-55.
- Laitinen, M., Levin, M., Lakaw, A. (2015). Advanced non-native English on a continuum of Englishes : Charting new data sources. From data to evidence : big data, rich data, uncharted data : 19-22 October 2015, Helsinki.
- Levin, M., Ström Herold, J. (2015). English hyphenated premodifiers in German and Swedish translations : A cutting-edge-state-of-the-art study. ICAME 36 : Words, Words, Words – Corpora and Lexis : Abstracts. 27-28.
- Levin, M. (2009). The formation of the preterite and the past participle.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ström Herold, J., Levin, M. (2017). Premodification in translation : Hyphenated premodifiers in fiction and their translations into German and Swedish. Cross-linguistic Correspondences : From lexis to genre. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 149-175.
- Laitinen, M., Lundberg, J., Levin, M., Lakaw, A. (2017). Revisiting weak ties : Using present-day social media data in variationist studies. Exploring Future Paths for Historical Sociolinguistics. Amsterdam, John Benjamins Publishing Company. 303-325.
- Laitinen, M., Levin, M. (2016). On the globalization of English : Observations of subjective progressives in present-day Englishes. World Englishes : New theoretical and methodological considerations. Amsterdam, John Benjamins Publishing Company. 229-252.
- Levin, M., Ström Herold, J. (2015). Give and Take : A contrastive study of light verb constructions in English, German and Swedish. Cross-Linguistic Perspectives on Verb Constructions. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 144-168.
- Levin, M. (2013). The progressive verb in modern American English : investigating recent language change with corpora. The verb phrase in English : investigating recent language change with corpora. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 187-216.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Laitinen, M., Levin, M., Lakaw, A. (2014). Ongoing grammatical change and the new Englishes : Towards a set of corpora of English uses in the expanding circle. .
- Lindquist, H., Levin, M. (2000). Apples and oranges : On comparing data from different corpora. Corpus linguistics and linguistic theory.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Levin, M., Lindquist, H. (2009). On the face of it : How recurrent phrases organize text. Corpora: Pragmatics and discourse. Amsterdam, Rodopi. 169-188.
- Lindquist, H., Levin, M. (2009). The grammatical properties of recurrent phrases with body-part nouns : The N1 to N1 pattern. Exploring the Lexis-Grammar Interface. Amsterdam, John Benjamins. 171-188.
- Levin, M. (2008). “Hitting the back of the net just before the final whistle”: High-frequency phrases in football reporting. The Linguistics of Football. Tübingen: Gunter Narr. 143–155.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
Collection (editor) (Other academic)
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Levin, M. (2017). Douglas Biber and Bethany Gray. Grammatical complexity in academic English. Linguistic change in writing : Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2016. 277 pp. ISBN 978-1-107-00926-4. ICAME Journal/International Computer Archive of Modern English. 41. 215-219.
- Levin, M. (2015). Claridge, Claudia. Hyperbole in English : A corpus-based study of exaggeration. ICAME Journal/International Computer Archive of Modern English. 39. 140-144.
- Levin, M. (2013). Furiassi, Cristiano, Virginia Pulcini and Félix Rodríguez González (eds.). 2012. The Anglicization of European Lexis. Amsterdam / Philadelphia:John Benjamins.. Nordic Journal of English Studies. 12. 125-131.
- Levin, M. (2010). Review of Leech, Geoffrey, Marianne Hundt, Christian Mair and Nicholas Smith (eds.). 2009. Change in Contemporary English. A Grammatical Study. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.. ICAME Journal. 34. 267-274.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Levin, M., Ström Herold, J. (2016). Kan man gå en översättarutbildning på distans? : Det funkar alldeles utmärkt!. Facköversättaren. 18-18.
Chapter in book (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Levin, M. (2009). Pled guilty and hoved into view : Using the Web to Explore Morphological Variation. Corpora and discourse – and stuff. : Papers in honour of Karin Aijmer.
- Lindquist, H., Levin, M. (2008). FOOT and MOUTH: The phrasal patterns of frequent nouns. Phraseology: An interdisciplinary perspective. Amsterdam: Benjamins. 143–158.
Conference proceedings (editor) (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Byrman, G., Lindquist, H., Levin, M. (2000). Korpusar i forskning och undervisning - Corpora in research and teaching : Papers from the ASLA symposium, Växjö 11-12 November 1999. ASLA, Uppsala. 1-314.
- Lindquist, H., Klintborg, S., Levin, M., Estling, M. (1998). The major varieties of English. Växjö University, Växjö. 1-307.